User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Zelda 2 in ZC, back from the dead.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.74%

Re: Zelda 2 in ZC, back from the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe123 View Post
    Most impressive!

Now, I'm not too clued-up on Zelda 2, but isn't that Western Hyrule (being on the left), rather than Eastern though?
    D'oh! Of course it is... :googly: I'll edit the text. You've been a very helpful lately, thanks.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.74%

I've been working on getting towns fully functional. So far I have stationary NPCs and signs working and doorways working. In addition I've setup the interiors. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zqpPomznVI

Next up is moving NPCs, NPCs that come out of houses and handling healing, magic recharge and Wise Man house entry properly. Once the towns are done, I'll move on to combat!

As a side-note I've decided that while I'll follow the original quest fairly closely, there will be some twists along the way. For example many of the requests that you're given before you can see the wise man in each town will be modified - there will be more to do outside of the palaces. So for the starting area, there will be a quest to complete before getting the Shield spell (its a freebie in the original). The quest will involve a new cave/mini-dungeon (featuring the first vertically scrolling area in the game). The jump spell quest will probably stay the same, though other wise men will require more work too. There will be other surprised too. :)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.32%

Quote Originally Posted by franpa View Post
    Your not using the correct colours for the overworld. use this palette when ripping graphics from a emulator :) http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
    This palette is a NTSC A/V optimized palette, it is not one from a PAL system and it is not from RF out, it is from Composite out (standard A/V).
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.19%

Very impressive. Very impressive.

I bet there's still a ton of work to do, though. I wager your sideview engine doesn't let you use the standard ZC combo types or flags or anything like that. I also bet that you have more work to do on how enemies interact with scrolling.

Plus, the big link animation is pretty awful!

Still, I don't want to sound too negative. This is mostly just a win sandwich. It is made of win and awesome.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.74%

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post
    Very impressive. Very impressive.

I bet there's still a ton of work to do, though. I wager your sideview engine doesn't let you use the standard ZC combo types or flags or anything like that. I also bet that you have more work to do on how enemies interact with scrolling.

Plus, the big link animation is pretty awful!

Still, I don't want to sound too negative. This is mostly just a win sandwich. It is made of win and awesome.
    Basically I can set the combo types and flags and in the script read them back to do various things. For example, I use a certain range of flags to specify terrain type for the overworld map. This way I also know which type of terrain Link is standing on for random encounters.

As for Link's animation - its laid out the same as the original game - except without the bouncing (to be fixed). It looks bad because its actually playing too slow - which I also have to fix.

Anyway there will be a full game-play demo soon, featuring the first area of the game - part of the overworld, 2 towns, 1 palace and a bunch of caves. The towns almost completely work now - NPC text, wandering NPCs, NPCs where you talk to them and enter their house for healing, restoring magic or to go inside and visit the wise man (if you meet the requirements). Next up is being able to collect the various items in the caves (like Magic containers) including those needed to get in the wise man's houses. After that I focus on scripting the rest of the enemies needed for the demo and finishing up the combat (block/strike up/down plus spells).

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.74%

I have a new video, showing an early version of the combat system. The collision issues and animation issues have been worked out in the side scrolling areas. This video shows Link with the proper walk animation, crouch, attack high, attack low and proper jump animation. It shows one of the enemies (Bit) that Link can kill. Upon killing the enemy gives experience points. In town it shows wandering NPCs (only a few have been setup, to test, the final version will have them all). It also shows the NPCs that let Link in their house to heal or restore magic. The NPCs that let Link in to see the Wise Men use the same script. So this pretty much finishes off the town scripts and the combat system is well under way. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI4BqVwQVXc

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.74%

A small update (also posted at PureZC).

I have Link taking damage from Z2 enemies, including the knock-back and animation (including palette cycling and flickering) like in Zelda 2. In addition the enemy scripting is coming along fine, I didn't do much today but I can show some of what I have done. Below are two screenshots, one shows Bit (from the movie) and Bot - you can see Bot jumping. The other screenshot shows the Bits and Moblins (guys with spears). Bit and Bot use the same script with a type input, Bot does more damage and jumps sometimes, which is implemented. And the Moblins are spawned outside the visible screen and walk across in either direction. And already they all share some functionality (like hurting link).

This covers both the "easy" and "hard" plains encounters for the demo area. Next up is the forest encounters, followed by the desert of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.52%

Looks like it's about time for another technical demo.

Also, how did you do the scrolling through areas? I just thought about it and it would be perfect for a LttP clone. Could it be expandable to scrolling through say a 4+ screen area(not just sideways)?

Click here to level up my card!

"Everybody's doing it... I just wanted to be popular."
    Bender- Futurama

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.74%

Quote Originally Posted by bobrocks95 View Post
    Looks like it's about time for another technical demo.

Also, how did you do the scrolling through areas? I just thought about it and it would be perfect for a LttP clone. Could it be expandable to scrolling through say a 4+ screen area(not just sideways)?
    I've shown videos before where the overworld was scrolling, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThBYndcku60. It can handle scrolling 8x8 screens just fine, probably more. See the first post for a list of videos you can watch made from this quest. :) Anyway there will be a game-play demo soon with the first area complete, this includes 2 towns, 1 palace, several caves and part of the overworld.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.52%

Guess I'll have to wait for the demo to see how the 4-way scrolling script works. Is it easy to use?

Click here to level up my card!

"Everybody's doing it... I just wanted to be popular."
    Bender- Futurama

Thread Information