Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.61%

Re: School seeks to forfeit 100-0 win

There was another basketball game a few years ago where the team won 52-0 or something like that. The winning coach in that game said something like, "Giving them a gimme shot wouldn't've taught them anything." Considering that they only scored in the fifties in that game, I imagine that coach put in his reserves, and it was simply a matter of the other team not being able to make a shot.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.68%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

To be clear, I'm not saying you can't blow people out. I'm just saying it's poor sportsmanship to have your starting players in the game playing aggressive defense and offense when you're up by 60 points with 4 minutes left to go.

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.74%

Granted, it's not much of a sport when you completely trump another team. But who pit those teams to play against each other in the first place? It seems almost like a setup.
    "In a democracy, majority rules. The majority of people are stupid. You do the math."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.07%

I think it's a difference in philosophy. I don't get the impression that the winning teams was gloating, or treating the losing team with disrespect. This is furthered by the losing teams reactions; they aren't upset. If they felt that they were being trampled or kicked when they were down, I doubt they'd be so nonchalant about it. But from the quotes in the article, noone on the losing team has any hard feelings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.3%

gg no re amirite?
    Winner of the Side Splitter award in the first Writing Contest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    5.62%

Why were those teams matched up against each other though?

Karate guys for cash. Aegix Drakan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.83%

*reads article*

Wha-SHAMEFUL?!? Forfeiting?!?

How does that solve anything?!? The winning team here obviously had the better team, so why should they call it a shamful victory and turn over the win to the other team?

I'm not going to say it was a nice thing to do. I'm not gonna say it was good sportsmanship either, but... When playing a sport competitively (as in, between schools an such), both teams should give it their all, and if one team is overpowered...well...I guess that's the way it is. As long as the winners aren't asses about it, and congratulate their opponents on their efforts, then I see no issue with them pwning the other team (although I AM surprised that they didn't loosen up a bit when they were a good 50 points ahead. I would probably relax a bit then).

...Here's an analogy from my own life. I know it's not sports, but it's a competitive scenario. For a while now, me and my best friend have been playing games against each other, and in most games (especially fighting games), he wipes the floor with me like I was a puddle, and he was the mop. He never cuts me any slack either. I have to force myself to improve in order to compete.

Recently, we've been playing Brawl. Same old story. For a while, I got my ass kicked by him (most matches he won with 4-5 stocks out of 5 left). Understandably I was upset, because no matter how hard I tried, he effortlessly chained me into massive damage combos, and then meteored me without breaking a sweat. Then, he grew tired of my grouchyness, took pity on me, and decided to hold back on me. And I won a few matches. ...And I felt lame. I felt like he had to deliberately handicap himself for me to even put up any challenge, and I felt pretty low about myself.

So what did I do? I IMPROVED. I trained on my own, and went all out against him, and tried even harder. And suddenly, the game got so much more fun. The odd time I win a match now, I feel totally elated. Although I still lose most of the time, I am getting better, and I am not all angsty or upset about a loss.

Of course, it also helps that he's stopped being so arrogant about his victories. He know's he's too good for my skill level, so when he wins, he doens't flaunt it. Instead, he compliments me on any good strategies I developed, and points out my flaws. As a result, I have improved considerably. Who knew that grabbing was so damn effective for setting up moves?

Similar situation to this 100-0 game. Ok, so they can't be helpful and supporting and really help the other team improve, seeing as they're different schools, but still. You shouldn't punish them for being too good. An apology, is fine, sure, but the rest is just a bit too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    AGN is not meant for people who have lives. Come back home, turn the lights off and stare in awe at the glow that comes from the monitor.
    Do you enjoy challenging RPGs? Do you enjoy dark storylines? You'll like my game. Go on, it's not very long.
    You can download my game for free right here!
    Feedback on it would be nice. It'll help with future projects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.78%

I see absolutely nothing wrong here. If there were any problem it was with the referee not calling the game short or a lack of a handicap. I've played hockey most of my life and know that 8 goals ahead is where the game ends, I've been on the giving and receiving end of that. Shit happens, Take it as a learning experience.
    Through fire justice is served!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.61%

Quote Originally Posted by MANDRAG GANON View Post
    I see absolutely nothing wrong here. If there were any problem it was with the referee not calling the game short or a lack of a handicap. I've played hockey most of my life and know that 8 goals ahead is where the game ends, I've been on the giving and receiving end of that. Shit happens, Take it as a learning experience.
    Yeah, where was the mercy rule? How about 30 points up = game over?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.78%

Quote Originally Posted by Cloral View Post
    Yeah, where was the mercy rule? How about 30 points up = game over?
    That's what I'm saying, it's up to the ref to enforce that, not the coaches and especially not the players. If the ref doesn't stop the game then that the ref's fault. If it was becoming a problem the opposing team should have said something about it at the time. I've been in games were we've been out scored 16-17 points. Usually it is enforced, sometimes even if you bring it up during the game the ref will make you continue to play. This is just being blown stupidly out of proportion.
    Through fire justice is served!

Thread Information