0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.69%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Re: Let's discuss Metroid :)

Old-skool, I agree the series should continue but it should be like Fusion and Zero Mission, not Prime. I thought both Fusion and Zero Mission were worthy titles.

vegeta, I think his death was not the reason. The reason I think was Nintendo basically ditched him after the Virtual Boy failed. If you don't know, after the VB failure, he was back seated. That's where you aren't fired but at the same time you are not allowed to do anything. So he left Nintendo and joined Bandai and created the Wonderswan.

So he was already gone from Nintendo before his death. Some people point out that perhaps he would not have died in the car wreck had Nintendo not punished him for the VB failure or if VB hadn't failed or never been attempted.

I don't think Retro did a bad job making a game. I just don't think it is truely Metroid. Really you could swap everything out with some other faces and call it whatever and no one would really notice that much. Atleast I think so. Bear in mind I played Prime 1 totally, and only some of Prime 2.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.01%

Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla View Post
    Because the creator DIED! Hmmm maybe that could be why there was a big gap. For some reason dead people don't work on video games. I'm not sure why.
    Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla View Post
    vegeta, I think his death was not the reason. The reason I think was Nintendo basically ditched him after the Virtual Boy failed. If you don't know, after the VB failure, he was back seated.
    So... which is it? lol

I think Metroid Prime is the best move to 3D for any game franchise I've played. I know you'd rather Metroid have never gone 3D, but if you really think Retro they did a horrible job bring it to 3D, (regardless of whether it was well made and polished) I'm curious to hear what you might've done differently in Prime. Would you have made it in a 3rd person perspective?

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.61%

Old-skool, I agree the series should continue but it should be like Fusion and Zero Mission, not Prime. I thought both Fusion and Zero Mission were worthy titles.
    That's exactly what I just said.

So he was already gone from Nintendo before his death. Some people point out that perhaps he would not have died in the car wreck had Nintendo not punished him for the VB failure or if VB hadn't failed or never been attempted.
    Yokoi was hit by a passing vehicle, while outside of the car.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.13%

did he get embedded into the passing vehicle? I never really got into Super metroid or the NES game, so there's no nostalgic factor for me! I just find the Prime games to offer an awesome gameplay experience, I couldn't care less that everything in it is about metroid.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.3%

Quote Originally Posted by franpa View Post
    did he get embedded into the passing vehicle? I never really got into Super metroid or the NES game, so there's no nostalgic factor for me! I just find the Prime games to offer an awesome gameplay experience, I couldn't care less that everything in it is about metroid.
    My first experience was with Metroid, and I missed Super Metroid, so when Metroid Fusion came along, I couldn't help but be impressed. And I loved how Metroid: Zero Mission made the original Metroid game entertaining. Ultimately, now, I cannot help but love the 2D Metroid games.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.01%

If I remember right, I knew about the 3D games before the 2D ones. My first Metroid game was Prime Hunters, which was pretty fun. The next one I did was the original (about two months ago), which is one of my favorites. I think it's better then Zero Mission. More exploring. No anti-climatic levels (although the ZM end level was fun). Better graphics and music (in my opinion. I like old.) The only thing Zero Mission did a lot better was the bosses, and the extra areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.69%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by vegeta1215 View Post
    I think Metroid Prime is the best move to 3D for any game franchise I've played. I know you'd rather Metroid have never gone 3D, but if you really think Retro they did a horrible job bring it to 3D, (regardless of whether it was well made and polished) I'm curious to hear what you might've done differently in Prime. Would you have made it in a 3rd person perspective?
    I don't think you got what I was saying. I don't think Metroid Prime is a bad game by any means. It seemed well polished and all, it's just that it doesn't really feel like Metroid which is a favorite series for me so I have extremely high expectations for it. Metroid Prime was a good game, but it just seemed to ultimately not have the same appeal. I do think you are right that it's one of the best 2D to 3D transitions in that the end game isn't a bad game really. Personally I'd prefer if they wanted 3D graphics that they had gone the Mega Man Maverick Hunter X or Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles route of "2.5D". I just don't think Metroid is very much like Metroid when you take away 2D platforming.

So the Prime games I don't think they are bad. I just don't think they have the spirit of the rest of the Metroid games.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.01%

I found this the other day and thought it was a neat little read. The video has some clips of what Nintendo was doing with Metroid Prime before they handed it over to Retro Studios: http://www.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12409

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.9%

Nice, so Nintendo is planning on re-releasing Metroid Prime for the Wii with Wii controls? I might have to get that.
    Mr. 207! The most legendary, controversial, enigmetic, isometric, reaking of awesomeness poster to EVER become a member of this board.

I'm walking through your streets
    Where all your money's earning
    Where all your buildings crying
    And clueless neckties working
    Revolving fake lawn houses
    Housing all your fears
    Desensitized by TV
    Overbearing advertising
    God of consumers
    And all your crooked pictures looking good
    Mirrors filtering information through the public eye
    Designed for profit sharing
    Your neighbor, what a guy
    _
    Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom
    Every time you drop a bomb
    You kill the god your child has born
    Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom

Challenge Games- Challenging remakes of your favorite NES classics.

Thread Information