0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.73%

Re: Let's discuss Metroid :)

Quote Originally Posted by franpa View Post
    They already have a lock-on system since Metroid Prime 1... Also, it depends on which game you played first out of the MP games, I started with MP2 and find it better then MP1 but there pretty close to the same thing, just more levels to me >.>" I'm not a metroid fanatic, I just enjoy the gameplay.

I never really "got into" the 2d games.
    The lock-on system works because of the First Person view. Half the time, when you're locked on to an enemy, you're not sure where you're moving to, so there's that element of risk when you leap about trying not to get hit. If it were third person, it'd be similar to Zelda, and that just wouldn't feel right at all.

For some reason, I enjoy the 2D games I've played (Zero Mission, Fusion and a bot of RoS) more then the 3D games (Prime I). They're all good games, but there's something about a 2D plane that just 'fits' Metroid somehow.

All I want now is Metroid Dread. I know it's being worked on out there somewhere, dammit. Just announce the bugger and feel the fanboy love already.
    AGN's resident Doctor Who, Star Wars and Torchwood fan

Current life projects: Survive job, stay awake, write stuff, find new job. Not in that order.

Hey, I do online reviews now! Check out my site to see the latest videos.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.19%

Quote Originally Posted by Revfan9 View Post
    Also, I hated Corruption's ending. A bossfight that's way too easy (Since you get to have mega-weapons the whole time through), then an anti-climactic ending where Samus just gives a thumbs up and flies away.

Didn't like Valhalla either, since it's just a beginner's trap. You only need 2 (3?) to get through unless you're going for a 100% ending, and otherwise you have to go on a long, boring trek to find the other fucking powerpacksthingies.

I despise the way that for some enemies, you're forced to use Hypermode to beat them, and this just drains your health unnecessarily.
    You obviously never tried to beat the game on Hyper Mode difficulty. It took me 10 tries to beat Dark Samus on Hyper Mode difficulty, and I barely did it. It was hard as shit. The Aurora Unit itself wasn't bad, provided you spent the time to recover you health after DS left you with a sliver left, but it's detached head kicked the crap out of me. I was so worn out and tired from attempting to beat Dark Samus and the Aurora Unit, I don't even know if I'm going to try to do it again. I'm serious, my wrists hurt.

The Valhalla was awesome. I don't understand why you call it a beginners trap. Just like the Metroid labs on Elysia, the Valhalla is creepy as hell, and definitely has one of the best old-school Metroid feelings to it.

Once you play on higher difficulties, you realize how much you can abuse Hyper Mode and how easy it makes the game. Draining you life is no big deal once you see how much it can save your butt.

I loved the Prime games. Each one expanded one the gameplay of the last, while changing things up enough; the 3rd one really hit the mark in terms of the final chapter. Maybe things don't feel as big as the previous two Prime games, but Bryyo and Elysia are huge in the end.

I don't really know where Nintendo is gonna go next with Metroid. Metroid is one of their premiere franchises, but I don't think it's ever really been a huge seller. It's sold better in the US than in Japan I know. Why do you think there was such a big gap between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime/Metroid Fusion?

After playing Corruption, I now consider the Prime series to be a separate story arc (alternate timeline) due to the Aurora Unit and Ridley factor. The cliff hanger does make me curious though.

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.86%

A eManga was published not too long after Zero Mission came out, one that is supposed to be canon... but there's an english version too out there somewhere... but not presented in a fancy way... just pages.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.47%

Quote Originally Posted by vegeta1215 View Post
    You obviously never tried to beat the game on Hyper Mode difficulty. It took me 10 tries to beat Dark Samus on Hyper Mode difficulty, and I barely did it. It was hard as shit. The Aurora Unit itself wasn't bad, provided you spent the time to recover you health after DS left you with a sliver left, but it's detached head kicked the crap out of me. I was so worn out and tired from attempting to beat Dark Samus and the Aurora Unit, I don't even know if I'm going to try to do it again. I'm serious, my wrists hurt.

The Valhalla was awesome. I don't understand why you call it a beginners trap. Just like the Metroid labs on Elysia, the Valhalla is creepy as hell, and definitely has one of the best old-school Metroid feelings to it.

Once you play on higher difficulties, you realize how much you can abuse Hyper Mode and how easy it makes the game. Draining you life is no big deal once you see how much it can save your butt.
    I tried to play on the higher difficulties, but it just seemed pretty pointless to me. It was the exact same boring game. I'm not the superhardcore type of gamer. I can't say I just put it down and said "No, I'm not going to go through with this anymore", but I sortof just drifted away from it, as well as gaming in general.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.2%

While we're on the topic of 3D games, so far I've only played Hunters (100% beaten) and Corruption (on Elysia). I do agree, parts of it seem a little too simple. Do this, then that, then this. But it's still awesome. Especially the Meta-Ridley battle. Pure awesome.

Personally, I think Corruption didn't use Hyper Mode to it's full potential though. They could have made a "Hyper Visor", or something of the sort, that activates Hyper Mode, but reveals secret passages that don't even show up normally.
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.86%

the manga in question covered Samus's origins, and her time raised on Zebes. The moment where she first meets ridley is kinda awkward and funny.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.85%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by vegeta1215 View Post
    I don't really know where Nintendo is gonna go next with Metroid. Metroid is one of their premiere franchises, but I don't think it's ever really been a huge seller. It's sold better in the US than in Japan I know. Why do you think there was such a big gap between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime/Metroid Fusion?
    Because the creator DIED! Hmmm maybe that could be why there was a big gap. For some reason dead people don't work on video games. I'm not sure why. I think Gunpei Yokoi would hate the direction that Metroid Prime took. It sucks donkey balls. Super Metroid is absolutely the best Metroid game and shows what the series is about. I really think they did a horrible job trying to bring Metroid into 3D the way they did. It's about as much of a Metroid game as Sonic Adventure was a Sonic the Hedgehog game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpei_Yokoi

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.86%

Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla View Post
    Because the creator DIED! Hmmm maybe that could be why there was a big gap. For some reason dead people don't work on video games. I'm not sure why. I think Gunpei Yokoi would hate the direction that Metroid Prime took. It sucks donkey balls. Super Metroid is absolutely the best Metroid game and shows what the series is about. I really think they did a horrible job trying to bring Metroid into 3D the way they did. It's about as much of a Metroid game as Sonic Adventure was a Sonic the Hedgehog game.

yeah the 3D view isn't a favorite of mine, nor is the idea of limited beam ammunition (NO.) But just because Yokoi has passed doesn't mean the series should pass with him. I hope the 2D games can pick up the slack. Otherwise, 20 years from now we're gonna have all these snot-nosed middle school kids burying Super Metroid underneath all the "Zelda for preschoolers" titles and Halo games.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.3%

yeah the 3D view isn't a favorite of mine, nor is the idea of limited beam ammunition (NO.)
    That was only MP2 right? MP1 has unlimited ammo for everything but missiles and super bombs.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.19%

Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla View Post

I forgot about that.

No doubt Gunpei's death played a part in the big gap between Super Metroid and Prime/Fusion - it's likely Nintendo would want to show some respect by not releasing a Metroid game at the same time as his death. But I also remember reading about Nintendo attempting to make a 3D Metroid for the N64 and that the ideas weren't working and the technology just wasn't there yet.

I understand how you prefer 2D Metroids to the 3D ones, but comparing the Prime series to the abomination that is 3D Sonic is going too far. Sonic is about speed, and none of the 3D Sonics, save for maybe Sonic Heroes (which isn't half bad), come close to matching what Sonic is about. The exploration aspect of the Prime games is not as strong as Super Metroid, but it's still there, and it's still creepy to play. There is always something lost when moving from 2D to 3D, but I think Retro did an excellent job with Metroid. Yeah the story is screwy and creates some plot holes with the original trilogy, but that's why I consider the Prime series to be separate from the original series.

Thread Information