Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.31%

ZQuest Minimap Palette

I would like to say it would be good to have the minimap at the lower-left screen to display the palette to match all the rest of the additional palette preview, not just the color 1-9 palettes. You know when you select your new level palette from the f4 palette view, it doesn't show the right colors above Palette 00a.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.54%

Re: ZQuest Minimap Palette

I think the reason it does it this way is because of ZC and ZQ still being stuck using 256-color video modes at the moment.

Think about it...

That minimap in the corner of the screen can hold 136 screens (00 to 87).
    It shows 2 colors for each room. (In the original 1st/2nd/3rd quests, this is to quickly show the dungeon's floor and statue colors.)

Now, suppose you made every screen on the map use a different level palette...
    2 * 136 = 272, but remember, this is 256-color mode the editor is running in, so there actually aren't enough slots in the overall palette to show the correct level palette colors for every screen on the minimap. (Even when not taking into account the colors used for the other parts of the editor.)

So they did the next best thing, which was to make the minimap loop every 16 palettes. I don't think it's that big of a loss considering the circumstances...besides, I've never seen anyone try to fit 16+ dungeons in one map. :p
    "Walking around naked is a health issue. Forinstance, if you walk around naked and aren't a hot woman, people like me are a threat to your health when we start shooting at you."
    -Mottzilla

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.31%

Re: ZQuest Minimap Palette