User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Don't look now, but build 1000 is nearing...

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.31%

Re: Don't look now, but build 1000 is nearing...

scripting may look easy, but it's not!

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    59.59%

Well, I think ZScript is easy to learn. I mean, I'm 12 and I can use it effectively. I've already managed to create a npc script, sign script, bottle system, and more by myself.:)

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.37%

Hmm... we getting close to a new point? It's been yearz man! haha not to start that old 'bringbackfullreleases' talk.

If only we just called each 'build' a version.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.99%

yea, we need a dynamic version numbering or something for each build so that it is easier to debug things reported by newbies... maybe have a dynamic TXT file listing the build number?
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    70.83%

Quote Originally Posted by Takuya View Post
    The caring developers who work so hard to bring it to you. :) (by the way, I started the Cane of Byrna implementation. Hehe) I actually enjoy the vast base we can run ZC on, from Windows PCs to Apple's line of Macs, to Linux (maybe even UNIX) boxes... As well as the loyal fanbase we have, who actually take the time to put up with the insanity to bring beautiful quests to us all. Build 1k here we come.
    Hey now, don't forget the BeOS/Haiku port!

Quote Originally Posted by cbailey78 View Post
    scripting may look easy, but it's not!
    It's as easy as it looks. Of course, if you have no prior experience in a real language you'll have more problems, but really ZScript is just a raped version of C.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    9.35%

8-bit color... I've noticed a x10 improvement in my tiles, and no more wasted colors due to having to repeat the same color across multiple c-sets... And the detail my methods have been able to achieve... If I can do it I'd love to see what some of the "Big Guys" over at pure ZC could pull off with it.

Enemy Editor, Item Editor, Sub Screen Editor, Drop-set editor... These features alone have pushed Zelda Classic into a new dimension. Now it is REALLY possible to create a quest that does not resemble Zelda 1 at all...

You get another dimension with Z-script and ZSAM... One that I have yet to use, but I will learn it one of these days...
    Tile Contest #14 Winner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    97.13%

256 bit color? Don't you mean 8-bit color? The "original" 8-bit color is a misnomer. NES used 2 bits per pixel and 52 colors to choose from for each color set (8 csets) and SMS used 4 bits per pixel and 256 colors to choose from for each of the 2 csets. Pre-2.50 color was SNES level- 4-bit, 16 csets giving a 256 color palette with 65536 colors to choose from. (actually 18-bit color choice in ZC) 8-bit color only removes the restriction of csets.

ANYWAYS...

Everything that has been added or fixed since 2.10 is my favorite feature.

The GUI improvement is a lot better. Large mode especially- I contributed a mockup of the design and the icons on the buttons at the bottom of the main panel (granted it was quite a bit different)...
    now if only we could kill the "How do I load a custom quest?" question. It is nowhere near obvious. I couldn't figure it out without looking at the FAQ back when I was a n00b.
    Avatar: Just who the SPAAAACE do you think I am?

Developer
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.02%

Quote Originally Posted by Revfan9 View Post
    Zscript is the most useful feature by far, but I don't like it as a language. It just feels so clunky, yet stripped-down to the extreme. Whenever I want to do something, it seems to just lack every feature I'm used to with other languages.
    I don't think any of us ever said ZScript was complete

I agree with that though, and the only counter I can make is that making the language is hard and time-consuming. One of these days though, I promise you...

Quote Originally Posted by beefster09 View Post
    now if only we could kill the "How do I load a custom quest?" question. It is nowhere near obvious. I couldn't figure it out without looking at the FAQ back when I was a n00b.
    I've been meaning to do something about this since forever, but never got around to it. One of these days...
    AGN's Resident Zelda Classic Developer and Sonic the Hedgehog Fanboy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.54%

"Vegeta, what does the changelog say about its build number?"

"It's over NINE HUNDREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!" *crushes the changelog in his hand*

(Would've waited with the joke until build 9000, but that'd take another umpteen years. :p)

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    If only we just called each 'build' a version.
    Or just name the version after the date and time, like "ZC version 2008.12.09.13.37.42". And maybe tack an "r" onto the beginning or end of every full release. That way, there's no confusion about what the latest (un)stable release is, or what version a quest works on.
    "Walking around naked is a health issue. Forinstance, if you walk around naked and aren't a hot woman, people like me are a threat to your health when we start shooting at you."
    -Mottzilla

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    70.83%

Quote Originally Posted by jman2050 View Post
    I don't think any of us ever said ZScript was complete

I agree with that though, and the only counter I can make is that making the language is hard and time-consuming. One of these days though, I promise you...

I've been meaning to do something about this since forever, but never got around to it. One of these days...
    I don't spend much time making sweet love to ZScript, so I can't really go into much detail of some of the more intricate problems of it justly. One thing always bothered me though.

This->X

That statement, right there. Why does the syntax need to be "->"? Why can't it simply be done with a period? Would This.X have been too difficult to implement? It has to be used so often and it's just so awkward.

EDIT: And just to get my point across, for all but the most trivial scripts, even if you did change it to a period now, it would take hours for someone to simply go through and change them all. That's how often that horrible syntax is used.

Thread Information