User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adventures of Link Classic?

norsemustang

Adventures of Link Classic?

How feasible would it be for the creators of Zelda Classic to develop a quest making program for Zelda II: The Adventures of Link where people can create their own Zelda II side scrolling games? If it were possible, then would they be able to do the same thing with classic games like Metroid or the Super Mario Brothers games?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.77%

Re: Adventures of Link Classic?

Well... That would have nothing really at all to do with Zelda Classic. That would be a completely separate game engine with an editor tailored to it. Ages ago there was a project called Zelda 2 Enhanced, but it's gone through tons of developers. It's on hold for now.

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.8%

There should be a pinned topic stating that developers aren't just gonna drop whatever they are doing and make an editor for <insert game here>.

To answer your question, anyone with a few weeks of free time, and programming knowledge could do it, but, I doubt any of the devs would. You could check Zophar's Domain since they have an extensive selection for ROM hacking stuff, and I know there is a Zelda 2 program out there somewhere. This, unlike ZC, requires a ROM though.

norsemustang

Thank you. Sorry if I posted a topic that doesn't belong, but I wasn't sure where to post it. I've been to Zophar's Domain several times. None of the editors that I've used are as easy to use as Zelda Classic, and you can't seem to really create a game from scratch like you can with Zelda Classic.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.96%

Actually, with ZC 2.5, most of the stuff from Zelda II would be possible. We have scripts for jumping, scripts for RP enemy encounters, and sideview gravity. It would be possible to make a Zelda II style game with ZC.
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.84%

Quote Originally Posted by russadwan View Post
    Actually, with ZC 2.5, most of the stuff from Zelda II would be possible. We have scripts for jumping, scripts for RP enemy encounters, and sideview gravity. It would be possible to make a Zelda II style game with ZC.
    This is true. You might not be able to make a game exactly like Z2, but you can get pretty damn close—and ultimately better. Look at Zodiac as an example of what you can accomplish with all the new features.

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.8%

Hm. Doing a Z2 styled quest is tempting, now that you mention all of the stuff, Russ. I've never really thought about it. I did do some sort of tile set thingy a while ago. Oh well.

And yeah norsemustang, I know what you mean about ROM editors in general. I've only ever really used SMBUtility, Lunar Magic, and Hyrule Magic extensively, and it is always more fun to do stuff your won way from scratch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    47.4%

Quote Originally Posted by russadwan View Post
    Does this mean you can change the size of the Link sprite in 2.5 (Link was 2 or three tiles high in Zelda II), or would it be more like the sidescroller portions of Link's Awakining, and the Oracle games?
    Currently working on Legend of Zelda: Hero's End (Oringinally Zelda 2.5, but plot changed)
    Overworld: 100%
    Underworld 30%
    Dungeons: 13/14

And now for an irrelevant comment...

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.84%

You can make a taller Link easily. Taller enemies are harder, but can be done with scripting.

&&
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.73%

Link can be either 16x16, 32x16 or 32x32.

So if you wanted to make him 48x16, you'd have to script attaching Link's graphics.

Thread Information