User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: I read before posting... But I need help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.19%

Re: I read before posting... But I need help.

Ah, I see. Thanks!

I've come across ANOTHER problem, however...

I set up a locked door in a dungeon, and when I unlock it with a key, everything is fine. But when I enter the next room, the door behind me that I JUST went through, is LOCKED. It's supposed to REMAIN unlocked after UNLOCKING it from the other side. What's the deal now? >^<

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    38.96%

Make sure, in your dMap, that your level is not set to zero.

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    47.91%

Quote Originally Posted by Maetora View Post
    I've gotten two dungeons done so far, and I'm almost done with the third. I'm trying to come up with some good puzzles, but I'm limited to only do the common "push block to open shutter", and, "kill enemies for items". Is there any other puzzles I'm missing, or is this pretty much our limit?

There are more ways than just the traditional "push a block, and the door opens" to use pushable blocks. For instance, you can have the player push blocks over damagable flooring, or pits (direct warp tiles). If you set the under combos properly, the block will create platforms behind it for the player to use.

Other puzzle favorites I have include:

Shooting magic through a series of mirrors which end in a switch. The switch makes a block that prevents the player from making it to an item or door move 2 or more spaces towards the player. The idea is that the player must make it next to the block's original spot before the magic reaches the switch. (You can combine this with a block puzzle by having the player move the mirrors into position.

Having a room filled with spikes, and have the player use the lens of truth to show a safe path.

Have the player on a sideways conveyor (compared to Link's direction), and use the hookshot. The player will continue to be moved by the conveyor as the hookshot moves across the screen. This will allow the player (if timed right) to hit a hookshot grab that is behind a solid tile. Link will be pulled all the way to the hookshot grab.

Finally, if all creativity fails, make a simple block puzzle, and add a time limit.
    Currently working on Legend of Zelda: Hero's End (Oringinally Zelda 2.5, but plot changed)
    Overworld: 100%
    Underworld 30%
    Dungeons: 13/14

And now for an irrelevant comment...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.19%

Quote Originally Posted by callitaday View Post
    Make sure, in your dMap, that your level is not set to zero.
    The level isn't set to 0. When I unlock a door in a room with another locked door, it triggers all of the locked doors in the same room, meaning I can have only one locked door in one room. Same goes if I have a lock block in a room. I had a room where there were 9 lock blocks, sort of like resembling the lock blocks in Key Cavern from Link's Awakening. But when I unlocked just one lock block, then ALL of them unlocked at once. I tried using combo flag 94 which is for single triggers, but that didn't work.

@ Banon: Thanks for the tips. Is there a way to set a time limit for one room only? If so, how? :\

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    38.96%

It sounds to me like you have the doors set as lock blocks.
    You can only have one lock block on a screen at a time.
    There is one other possibility I can think of. Make sure your dMap type is set to "Dungeon" and not "Overworld" or "Cave".

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    47.91%

For the timed room question

Go to screen data. At the bottom of the window that pops up, there should be an option called "Timed Warps" (Or something like that). In the box beside, type in the amount of time you want for the room (Keep in mind that the number that you type isn't in seconds. The number of seconds is shown just to the right of what you type). The time warp refers to the side warp you've set up on the screen (make sure you don't refer it to a direction, and that you put the warp style to an insta-warp of some sort). Finally, try to put something on the screen that at least tells the player that there is a time limit, as the game won't do it for you. I would recommend making from scratch a tile with the time limit written on it, and stick it somewhere that will never be used in any of your dungeons (ie: the top left corner).

Another common way to show a time limit, is to place an inaccesable item (usually a clock, so its more clear to the player what it means) on a conveyor belt, that at the end is an "X". The conveyor is usually a blank tile, which would show up as black in game. Time the warp so that the item reaches the "X" just as time runs out. (Put the conveyor on a side of the screen without doors, and a timer moving left to right on top looks more visually appealling, followed by top to bottom on the right.)

And now to catch my breathe... I winded myself typing...
    Currently working on Legend of Zelda: Hero's End (Oringinally Zelda 2.5, but plot changed)
    Overworld: 100%
    Underworld 30%
    Dungeons: 13/14

And now for an irrelevant comment...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.19%

Thanks! Sounds good. I'll try it out.

Random question: Does anyone know how to turn our quest qst files into a ROM to play on an emulator?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    38.96%

You can't.
    Zelda Classic's architecture is completely different from any console system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.19%

Quote Originally Posted by callitaday View Post
    You can't.
    Zelda Classic's architecture is completely different from any console system.
    Ah, okay.

- - - - -

I don't think the search feature works very well... Because I tried doing a search on how to do the dry up lake with the recorder thing, but I didn't get any results. So how do you do it? How can you have 2 tiles on the same square? I want there to be a lake covering up a dungeon. (Not stairs.)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    38.96%

This is the simplest way I know of:
    Draw your dungeon, then use Layer 2 for the lake.
    On the screen that you've drawn Layer 2, set your secret combo flags on the lake tiles and pick your secret combos in the Data -> Secret Combos.
    On the screen where you drew the dungeon, set Screen Flags -> Whistle>Secret.
    When you blow the whistle, it will change the Layer 2 combos you've drawn.

Thread Information