Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.43%

State of Zelda Classic 2.5

Hey there. I know I shouldn't be making a thread like this, but I haven't made anything like this, and I am really wanting to know the progress. So anyways, yeah I have a couple of questions for the developers.

First, how far do you think ZC 2.5 is to being released? And I am asking in a progress report sort of way. Like at this stage how long do you think is it going to take for 2.5 to be released? As it looks right now it looks like the big reason why 2.5 isn't going to released anytime soon is Large Mode. So much of Large Mode is unfinished. Is there anything we can do?

I noticed ZC progress has been getting a little slow. I know that the developers have lives and this is just for fun thing and not a job, but for the past like 6 months, the only developer doing anything is _L_ (God, bless his soul). So what happened to the other developers? Are we in need for more developers? Are you looking for new developers? I say this because it doesn't look like any of the other developers are coming back. That is the way it appears to me anyway. So shouldn't we move on and get new comers?

I know a lot of people are going to tell me, that the betas right now are good and such. But this is my point. We have been waiting for maybe 2 and half years now. We really can't release our games on 2.5 because the updates on the betas will destroy it, and no new comers are going to understand the download system. And that is one thing that is happening. The newbies here don't understand the betas. It hard to figure out to download them and such, and it is really hurting the community. Here and PureZC have seen a HUGE decrease in ZC interaction. And people are on the brink on leaving, including me. Now, I know it will kick back up once 2.5 is released, as we can something to advertise, something global to use. Like I can't go to Youtube and get people to come here and download build 847 or something like that. The point is, I just really want a progress report on what you think is the state on ZC 2.5. Because at this point it doesn't look like it is coming out in the next year or two.

Anyways, thanks. --Shoelace

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.7%

Re: State of Zelda Classic 2.5

Quit yer spammin, Shoelance!

j/k

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.58%
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoelace View Post
    I noticed ZC progress has been getting a little slow. I know that the developers have lives and this is just for fun thing and not a job, but for the past like 6 months, the only developer doing anything is _L_ (God, bless his soul). So what happened to the other developers?
    I think DarkDragon got a job or moved overseas or joined the military or something. Which is a shame, as he's always been the prime mover of ZC development since before I arrived. Even today his Shardstorm contributions outweigh mine by 50%.

Saffith and pikaguy900 are in unannounced retirement. jman2050 said about a week ago that he might soon have more time to work on the interface, so we'll see. Dark Nation? No idea.

The point is, I just really want a progress report on what you think is the state on ZC 2.5. Because at this point it doesn't look like it is coming out in the next year or two.
    What do you mean? Other than the aforementioned HR problems, things are going better than ever. The bug forums only have 52 open bugs left! (The NES compatability bugs have been marked "Deferred to post-2.50" by DarkDragon) And the new bug reports have shrunken to about 4 per week. Even two committed devs could plough through those in 4 months. And after that is just the business of finalising ZScript and the Default Template and tidying up the ZQuest interface.

I noticed ZC progress has been getting a little slow. I know that the developers have lives and this is just for fun thing and not a job, but for the past like 6 months, the only developer doing anything is _L_ (God, bless his soul). So what happened to the other developers?
    I think DarkDragon got a job or moved overseas or joined the military or something. Which is a shame, as he's always been the prime mover of ZC development since before I arrived. Even today his Shardstorm contributions outweigh mine by 50%.

Saffith and pikaguy900 are in unannounced retirement. jman2050 said about a week ago that he might soon have more time to work on the interface, so we'll see. Dark Nation? No idea.

The point is, I just really want a progress report on what you think is the state on ZC 2.5. Because at this point it doesn't look like it is coming out in the next year or two.
    What do you mean? Other than the aforementioned HR problems, things are going better than ever. The bug forums only have 52 open bugs left! (The NES compatability bugs have been marked "Deferred to post-2.50" by DarkDragon) And the new bug reports have shrunken to about 2 per week. Even two committed devs could plough through those in 4 months. And after that is just the business of finalising ZScript and tidying up the ZQuest interface.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.15%

ut oh.
    The freedom and Petoe generation has passed away and now the next generations are in their life throws.
    :O)

ZC information I've compiled and my quests
    Adventure Tileset
    Elise's Zelda Classic

Don't ever buy an MTD Product, it's cheap over-priced garbage

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19%

I believe DarkDragon is only on holiday over seas, he has not gone away for good.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.79%

_L_: Consider it "unnanounced retirement" if you want, but I plan to do work. I'm just...not confident in my ability to work with the code well at all. Right now, I really want to do something with the code, but there's so much thrown all over the place, and I have absolutely NO real experience working with the code.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.86%

While we are on the subject of ZC 2.5's release, I have a question. What about NeoFirst. I believe it was supposed to be packaged with ZC 2.5 as an example quest. However, 2.5's release is drawing near, and NeoFirst is nowhere near completion. Will a first quest remake be made for 2.5 or something like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    70.86%

2.5 and NeoFirst are both pretty much in the same boat as Duke Nukem Forever.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.41%

Sorry guys . That I got a job is partially right (grad student), which has been taking up a lot of time. In addition, I've found NYC a lot more conducive to having a social life than Kentucky. These factors, combined with me getting a little bummed out that, despite our best efforts, 2.50 stability appears to have become a Sisyphean task, have caused me to completely neglect ZC lately. Right now I'm working towards a paper deadline and won't have the time to get back in the swing of development, but do hope to do a spurt of work on ZC once my schedule becomes more leisurely. Again, I'm sorry to have let you guys down, I know how long everyone has been patiently waiting for 2.50, and as one of the few who can do something about it, share a lot of the blame.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.43%

Again, I'm sorry to have let you guys down, I know how long everyone has been patiently waiting for 2.50, and as one of the few who can do something about it, share a lot of the blame.
    DD, won't blame yourself at all. Like _L_ said you did a lot to get ZC 2.5 this far. Even if you were to retire right now, I still respect the hell out of you and thank you for all of the hard work you put into ZC. So again, don't you dare think you let us down.

This thread was just so I know, and everyone else for that matter, where everyone and everything stands. Because like you guys do, I put a lot of work in my quests. I devout a lot of time and care into my quests, and that is why I want to know the progress. Because I want to see my quest released some day, and the waiting and waiting for years is starting to take its toll on me. I am just trying to find hope because I don't want my hard work to go to waste, because there is no telling what I will be doing in 2 years and I don't want my game to be canned.

What do you mean? Other than the aforementioned HR problems, things are going better than ever. The bug forums only have 52 open bugs left! (The NES compatability bugs have been marked "Deferred to post-2.50" by DarkDragon) And the new bug reports have shrunken to about 2 per week. Even two committed devs could plough through those in 4 months. And after that is just the business of finalising ZScript and tidying up the ZQuest interface.
    Thanks _L_ for the response. Yeah, I do see that there are only 52 open bugs. So that sounds great. However, the thing in the back of my mind was the Large Mode. To me, it seems like the longest part of the wait now is Large Mode, as everything has to be made and then tested still. And it has been going kinda slow. Yesterday, I was ZCing for about 7 hours and a lot of the time was using a magnifying glass to see the Tile Page. lol. I see that you put it on the next build, so I am crossing my fingers that there will be a new downloadable build soon as I have been switching back and forth from the normal and large mode constantly.

Thread Information