Quote Originally Posted by Linkus View Post
I going to say this.

Devs, face the truth. The current ZC is unstable because of the lack of understanding its code. Phantom Meanace may have made the first ZC, but he knew how it worked to the best of his knowledge. Now that he's not here anymore, and he left no real archive of the code except the code itself, it's all guesswork for the others on deciding how it works.

At this point, sometimes when the plan isn't understood, and not explained, sometimes we must restart with a representation that does make sense. And this, I must say, is a direction we might as well take; this way, we can pinpoint what causes certain problems, and we know what ends are open and not break others by pure accident.

After all, I know a lot of suggestions made require a whole new engine, and the fact is that you might as well make a new one. You got some parts you can start from, but otherwise it be the only viable chance left to get a stable ZC running. After all, I know some of you want to ditch Allegro anyhow, and go with a more flexible library.
This is actually what precisely what I want to do, except it doesn't come from not understanding the code, it comes from understanding the code enough that you realize that trying to patch things would be more trouble than its worth.

The problems with ZC extend beyond what's reported in the bug forums. I evidently gained some fans by doing everything that the community wanted me to do, but if these years and experience have taught me anything, it's that the problem IS pandering to a fanbase. You want a stable release? Let us do our jobs and it'll get there when it gets there.

Of course, that's just my view of the whole matter, the other devs and I will have to consider what we want to do in the future, especially regarding this build of ZC we're working on now.