User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: From Shardstorm.com what beta would you recommend most?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.1%

Re: From Shardstorm.com what beta would you recommend most?

Or you could all actually answer his question ;/

The betas are there for us to use them, and we should be encouraged to submit bug reports of what we find goes wrong. But to say that "If you don't use the betas only for testing, you're a horrible person" is downright absurd. Just as it would be absurd to say "You aren't allowed to use Firefox unless you're one of the developers."

It's a basic fact of public betas. There will be people who just want to use it because they need the new features it provides for some reason or another. If they find a bug in their everyday use, hopefully they'll submit it. And if they do, then the program is made better by just that tiny little bit. This is why there are public betas in the first place: You attract more eyeballs. Just letting people go about it in their every day use and reporting problems when they run into them is how around 70% of bugs get reported in programs with public betas.

As for your question, use the latest one, as it will (logically) have the most bugfixes and thus, will be the most stable. There aren't any more features being added (aside from various things being finished up that were only half-implemented before the feature freeze) so you don't have to worry nearly as much about new bugs popping up that get in your way.

Lynel
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.61%

Quote Originally Posted by Revfan9 View Post
    Or you could all actually answer his question ;/

The betas are there for us to use them, and we should be encouraged to submit bug reports of what we find goes wrong. But to say that "If you don't use the betas only for testing, you're a horrible person" is downright absurd. Just as it would be absurd to say "You aren't allowed to use Firefox unless you're one of the developers."
    I didn't say that. Obviously, you do need to perform the act of creating quests in order to test it. However, they're not designed for the "Pick a build and stick with it until the quest is done" usage pattern. If you're just using a particular build, and not constantly upgrading to the latest one, you're not fulfilling the implicit explicit contract (see "WARNING-READ.txt" in your beta build) of the betas.
    Tale of the Cave - a web comic - Updates Monday, Wednesday, Friday
    ZC Tutorials - Tutorials and Script Library - Updated July 30, 2008
    ZeldaGuard - Corruption in my save files? It's more likely than you think!
    I do script requests!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.12%

It's a basic fact of public betas. There will be people who just want to use it because they need the new features it provides for some reason or another. If they find a bug in their everyday use, hopefully they'll submit it. And if they do, then the program is made better by just that tiny little bit. This is why there are public betas in the first place: You attract more eyeballs. Just letting people go about it in their every day use and reporting problems when they run into them is how around 70% of bugs get reported in programs with public betas.
    The whole point is to prevent people reporting bugs that are already fixed, 98% of people would be too lazy to track down if a a bug is already fixed or not and will take the lazy way and ask on the forums about it or submit it as a new bug.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    44.3%

I think the guy who asked the question just wanted to make sure he didn't corrupt his sister's computer. But everyone's right that you should use the latest beta. There's really no chance it will corrupt your computer. At least, none of the betas have ever corrupted mine. They're all pretty stable. I always look for bugs but can rarely ever seem to find any, which is a promising sign.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30.58%

Quote Originally Posted by LJ Bad View Post
    I think the guy who asked the question just wanted to make sure he didn't corrupt his sister's computer. But everyone's right that you should use the latest beta. There's really no chance it will corrupt your computer. At least, none of the betas have ever corrupted mine. They're all pretty stable. I always look for bugs but can rarely ever seem to find any, which is a promising sign.
    With ZC's stability people usually mean it's amount of bugs and possibilities for crashes and quest corruption, no version of ZC will make your computer explode.

Thread Information