Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.53%

Re: Chrono Trigger DS

I had a big discussion with BigJoe about this today. I actually prefer when these things either don't do much to the original game or radically change it. Minor change for the sake of trying to hide that you're selling me the same game twice doesn't cut it.

For example, if it were a straight port, I'd say good enough. Adding a dungeon makes me worry because that tends to mean new equipment; as if the New Game+ didn't make the game broken enough

I do support more extensive (and less censored) translations, which is why I liked the GBA FFIV port. I didn't like it's whole "play as people that are presumed dead" change, but I was glad to see a more authentic translation.

What I'd really like to see is better fleshing out of the stories; a lot of the CT universe just seemed really shallow (like Ayla's time period) compared to the amount of detail that was put into others (like 600 A.D. and 1000 A.D.) The future time period was little more than a bridge between other periods; I think there was some missed potential there. Also, that Frog vs. Magus confrontation ending was mean; I'd like to see that resolved.

So I am not as excited as I could be, but I know I'm going to end up getting this. I actually wrapped up a playthrough about 2 months ago, so by the time this comes out I ought to be craving it again :)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.77%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

You're worried about play balance? Why? All this new crap is always at the end of the game *anyways*, and it's not like all of us haven't already beaten the SNES version a million times already (I know I have). Frankly, it would be disappointing if they *didn't* add something.

I just hope the new dungeon is cool. As an example - new dungeon in FFIV Advance was great. It added "ultimate weapons" for all the characters, was actually really challenging, and even had some story elements associated with it. On the other hand, new dungeon in FFVI Advance was a little generic, and was generally a cave with I think dragons. It had some decent puzzles, but overall I didn't feel it was as cool as the FFIV one.

I have a feeling they'll do good here though. They have a lot to work with at least. I mean, hell, maybe they'll even do a new dungeon that spans the different time periods. How cool would that be? :)

Anyways, really hoping this leads to a port of Seiken 3. Of all Square games (that are not Final Fantasy), that one desperately needs to leave Japan. It was a great title. On the plus side, Heroes of Mana was actually a distinct prequel to this game (as in, half of the characters were parents, etc of the heroes of SD3, the locations were all the same, etc). So at least that game is on Square's mind

P.S. - There are enough load times on the PSX version (ugg), why would you want this on the PSP? That being said, I hope they include all the cutscenes from the PSX version in this DS can definately handle it - and hell, Square has already been loading their DS titles up with them recently anyways.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.66%

They need to make a fully 3D Final Fantasy XII quality Chrono Trigger remake with full symphonic music for the PC and current gen consoles. Until they do that, Square is dead to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.62%

Warlock, the reason Chrono Trigger on PS1 had load times was because it was a shitty port. Infact, it was psuedo emulation which was part of the reason it sucked so bad. Had they actually ported the game it would have been fine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.77%

True but anytime you are dealing with CDs you are going to face *some* kind of loading situation.

Also, given that it's Square, do you trust them to do the port right this time?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.62%

If you look at top end games, despite being on CD load times were not so obvious. A great example is Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter on Saturn.

And no, I imagine this remake will be a letdown too.

Karate guys for cash. Aegix Drakan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.8%

Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla View Post
    And no, I imagine this remake will be a letdown too.
    That would be true...if it was a remake.

>_> It sounds like a straight port with a few small bonus feature thrown in. I love the game and all, but... man..you can only take it's reputation so far on it's own. if it's coming out on a new system, it needs to be a bit more than what it used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    AGN is not meant for people who have lives. Come back home, turn the lights off and stare in awe at the glow that comes from the monitor.
    Do you enjoy challenging RPGs? Do you enjoy dark storylines? You'll like my game. Go on, it's not very long.
    You can download my game for free right here!
    Feedback on it would be nice. It'll help with future projects.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.62%

They mentioned used of dual screen and touch screen, thus it's not a port. Also if they do not use the same hacky emulation of the SNES game, then it's a remake and not a port.

I just think all this is such a waste when you could be porting it to PS2 or PSP. But I guess they just figure the DS is such a large market, which it is. But it's also home to the most piracy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.53%

The presence of piracy doesn't change how the decision to port the game plays out.

The DS has a huge fan base, and consists of many people that have proven in the past that they are interested in portable ports of old Square games. Most of the people that obsessively played the games at the time of their release own a DS. It's pretty much a guarantee that they will reach a huge portion of their target audience by releasing on the DS.

On the PS2 or PSP, they don't have the same demographics. In case you haven't noticed, there's a slight divide between gamers who like "mainstream" games and those that don't. My opinion is that most people who don't like them don't have a PSP, though at this point there's no excuse for a gamer to lack a PS2. I'm thinking they just feel like if they want to make the most money off of the port, they should target the system that has the most customers.

You claim piracy is much more rampant on the DS, yet game companies are making quite a bit of money off of the DS. obviously the piracy is not having a very large effect on profits.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.77%

Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla View Post
    They mentioned used of dual screen and touch screen, thus it's not a port. Also if they do not use the same hacky emulation of the SNES game, then it's a remake and not a port.

I just think all this is such a waste when you could be porting it to PS2 or PSP. But I guess they just figure the DS is such a large market, which it is. But it's also home to the most piracy.
    If they do not change the bulk of the game, it's a port. Port != emulation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting
    Two activities related to (but distinct from) porting are emulating and cross-compiling.
    Obviously they need to make *some* changes to it to fit the new hardware. Would you say the Wii version of Resident Evil 4 is a remake because they tacked Wii controls onto it?

I would assume all the second screen will be used for is to display the character stats/menu. Or maybe they'll add a map of some kind... Touch Screen will be exactly like FF3 DS - you'll be able to tap menu options, and probably drag your characters around with it. Nothing too fancy.

Thread Information