Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.29%

Re: NeoFirst Development Diary

Wow, that looks really neat. I love all those gears.

And on a side note, POST 2500!
    Play The Darkness Within, my newest ZC Quest! Download here:
    http://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=quests&id=374

Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    7.91%

I don't mind if you change up one of the more plainer rooms (as in, with just the spike trap things) to have a gear trap or something. I won't mind.

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

Lately, I've been concerned with two things: making the Mystic Forest overworld area more interesting and challenging, and increasing the diversity of the enemy roster. And so, in meeting both of these concerns at a fork in the path, I constructed some quite simple scripted enemies to populate the leafy gloom.

Deku Baba

This fearsome flora is still in need of some garnishes, though. And, perhaps, a means to cut its stalk rather than attack its head? We'll see.

Deeler

The classic Deeler, which attacks quickly from above, isn't like the more recent Skulltula, which seeks solely to block the player's path.

Also, just today I fulfilled an idea I had when out walking a few months ago. It concerned fields of tall grass, and their propensity for hiding lurking serpents. Now, Ropes that move into tall grass will conceal themselves - only a moving disturbance of the grass reveals their location.

Look sharp! There are two Ropes near Link in this picture.
    They are, of course, easier to spot when animated.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.29%

I am falling in love with this quest. You are amazing _L_.
    Play The Darkness Within, my newest ZC Quest! Download here:
    http://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=quests&id=374

Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

The Ocean Labyrinth is a slightly hard dungeon whose entrance looks out to a placid ocean. It's one of the 'nostalgia dungeons' I added to the quest. When you step inside, you gradually notice something: it's a recreation of the first level from Third Quest!

The inner entrance room is a bit more oceanic, though.

As you can see, the main theme of this dungeon is skeletal. Salt-encrusted skeletons and flaming skulls grind along its halls. Maybe it was a pirate's hideout? Well, I can't say. And, since Stalfos have a habit of rising again from their battered bones, I've reduced their numbers somewhat. Fortunately for them, their sword beams still sting as much as always.

Continuing the theme: instead of a large emissary of red and blue Goriyas, you will instead encounter trios of skeleton Goriyas. Skeleton Goriyas?

They don't throw bone-merangs, if you're wondering.
    When you bash these bony badgers down, they bounce back up before you know it! This may cause a calamity for little boys who don't have sharp metal swords just yet.

Incidentally, this dungeon also contains an opportunity to make use of the Bottle that Link's mother insisted he take. You can use it in conjunction with something in the environment to defeat a long-hated, nigh-invincible foe.

I suppose you wish that this trick was available in the remaining dungeons of Third Quest.

And, on a different note, I also suppose you're wondering who the dark lord of this dark hole is, hmm?

The dungeon boss is... a neglectful parent.
    Now isn't the time to hope that they'll imprint upon you as their mother. Those nearby bones support the hypothesis that it won't work. But look hopeful: you know what they say about dragons and treasure...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    74.8%

Seriously, you are doing a great job with this project. I can't wait to play this thing. Wow.

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

Sometimes, life just isn't fair and decent on a small child. Consider, for instance, what might befall you out in the sunny outdoors, through no fault of your own. Just skipping down an empty road through our wild kingdom, with a purse full of green rocks and a song in your heart containers.

Then, like a crack of a whip, a voice!

Bandits rush in from offscreen!

W-where's the police? ...They died. It's up to you alone to save your bacon!

I think poor old Link deserves an explanation. You see, one of the great plagues afflicting Hyrule are the many thieves and bandits traveling its roads and hiding in its dungeons, directed by an ominous figure called the King of Thieves. Some such criminals have even infiltrated our dear Hyle Town!

Of course, it won't do to just describe the vileness that these creatures perpetrate on innocent swordsboys and postmen. To really feel for the threat, the players themselves must also be victimised. And so: occasional random ambushes along the roads and meadows!

These strikes aren't entirely random, though. Would it not be sensible to assume that you'd be more likely to be attacked if your hearts were low? And if you had a large stash of rupees on your person? Mm-hmm. I'd think so too.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    7.14%

Quote Originally Posted by _L_ View Post
    You see, one of the great plagues afflicting Hyrule are the many thieves and bandits traveling its roads and hiding in its dungeons, directed by an ominous figure called the King of Thieves.
    Is the King of Thieves a certain boss from ALTTP by chance?

Also, this quest is looking really interesting so far, especially the Deelers from AoL. Keep it up!

Click here to level up my card, or be sacrificed... ^_^

Want to see Shattered Earth, AGN's RPG, back? Got a computer that is capable of running a server? PM me!

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.16%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

The King of Thieves, from the "plan," (I have no idea how much it's been changed by now.) is really just a merchant who sells you lockpicks. They're the equivalent of keys, but can be used in any dungeon.

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

Actually, various ordinary thieves are lockpick merchants. The King of Thieves, conversely, has a perchant for fighting, and supposedly holds a most Magical Key. (But maybe he has something else... something more important.) He also might or might not have an underling called the Prince of Thieves, who furthermore may or may not just be a palette-swap. But more on him later!

EDIT: Oh! You were thinking of Blind the Thief. That sounds a tad fitting. Maybe he will be vaguely reminiscent of that boss.

Thread Information