Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

NeoFirst Development Diary

Here's the deal: whenever I work on a particularly interesting section of NeoFirst, I'll post a description here. That way, nobody will think this quest's development is just slacking.

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

Re: NeoFirst Development Diary

Our hero, Link, lives in a treehouse in a dark forest with his mother. I'm sure you can all relate to his situation.

Who is his mother? Her name is Elena, and the reason she lives in a dark forest is because she's a sorceress soothsayer. And that's just what sorceress soothsayers do. Elena is named after a character in The Illearth War, by Stephen R. Donaldson, who was also a sorceress of sorts. Of course, that particular Elena was a daughter, not a mother. O well.

Link's father, like many video game heroes' fathers, is a Disappeared Dad. An outlandish rumour has it that the reason he never appears is because he's not human, but a faerie prince who had a brief mortal tryst.

(Well, it does explain the pointy ears...)

As the son of a sorceress, Link has access to a magical item right from the start of the game. That item is the Cross.

You'd better not lose it!

Just like in the games Phantom Hourglass and La-Mulana, Link can listen to the recently deceased. But not if you don't have this item - so remember to take it!

And also, Link owns a Bottle. It lets him carry water and sand that he finds in the game world... among other things.

But, one substance that Link is too polite to scoop up is his mother's Elixir Soup - his favourite meal.

No matter what you've done or where you've gone, she's always got a piping hot bowl waiting for you on every visit.

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

The forest that Link lives in is the Mystic Forest, also known as the Cursed Forest. It was originally a small forest in the north, but a great crime by Princess Zelda's father offended the mightiest forest spirit so much that it made trees sprout forth all along the west edge of the map. Furthermore, anybody who cuts down these trees will be transformed into a Deku Scrub.

I... guess that's why they call it the Cursed Forest?

Nevertheless, some youngsters like to venture in to look at mushrooms and look for Minish.

What kinds of treasures are hidden deep in this forest? What secrets were buried under its spreading canopy when the trees rose up, all those years ago?

Well...

A question.

Nobody's home.

I wonder... would it be immoral to wish for an intact weapon shop?

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

Placolyte!

Ah, Placolyte. This marvellous item is distilled from magical flowers, and assists Link when he drinks it from his bottle. It may call forth memories of Picolyte, but Placolyte is a slightly different wonder.

The price is just right for something as nice as Placolyte!

Placolyte comes in two varieties: red and blue. As the red variety is more expensive, its effects are much more powerful than those of the blue variety. But that's not to say that the blue variety still isn't worthwhile.

You can tell that it's in effect because Link is surrounded by coloured sparkles.

What exactly does Placolyte do? Well, um, it is a secret. But rest assured that it is quite marvellous, and that I have completely implemented it. The only way to experience it is to use it yourself and see how it helps you.

But... it does do something, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    72.85%

This is very nice _L_. Can't wait to see what the end result looks like.
    Play Super Link Bros. today! It's my second Zelda quest, it runs on build 816.

The Random Ninsanity Roleplaying Network
    A roleplaying website run my me, Alestance, The Satellite, and Russadwan. Invent a character and join today!

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

Recently this week I had an accident where two of the boss scripts I was working on recently were disturbingly deleted from all existence. It was a heart-wrenching situation that required my full attention, So, in lieu of a more tangible and elucidating update, I present the following exhibit: some dumb enemies that you'll have to reduce to ribbons.

Stalfos Knight
    I wonder whether these piles of bones can be powderised with a hammer hit or a bomb blast.
    Speaking of which, if you break their shields with your hammer, then they'll rise again with new shields. Clearly, the magic that animates them is quite capricious.

Patra Cross
    It is my commitment that each non-scripted variety of Patra appears but once.

Healer Wizzrobe

Yes, it was that hooded fiend!
    This final enemy's special ability may be obscure if you don't have the Hero's Charm.

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

There are some kinds of Zelda Classic players who are willing to follow the immediate plot, perhaps even to the ends of the earth, without being given even a scrap of equipment. But many people are quite miffed if they don't get their hands on a sword within four screens of starting out. And that's quite understandable - a sword appears on the title screen, after all. It's advertised content.

But, it is a part of the prelude that Link pursues and confronts his first sword's absconders, and in doing so becomes involved in the greater conflict against the approaching chaos.

Fortunately, if one chooses, they can exclude the prelude altogether. I have provided a way to get a sword within four screens of the start!

But... it costs 45 rupees!

Of course, if they could just walk up and take it, then nobody would bother following the plot at all.

Ah... but surely in order to get 45 rupees you need to hunt assorted vermin for three-quarters of an hour? I want that sword now!

Fortunately, I have also provided a way to get 45 rupees within four screens of the start! And I didn't just hide it under the 23rd bush, either.

A completely legitimate business.

Such wealth! But is it really worth starting the adventure with only... two hearts?! And can you even trust this fellow?

But, with this much money, you could afford everything in that shop! You'd be able to start your adventure with a shield and a fishing line, not to mention a genuine sword that fires genuine sword beams. It's quite a temptation.

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.02%

Sweet. The HC exchange thing sounds awesome, and can add some nonlinearity.

Speaking of which, is the game going to take a linear path in terms of levels, or do you have to to the levels in a certain order?

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.16%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Why should the sword fire sword beams if it costs 45 rupees?

Also, what profit does the guy receive from loaning people rupees for collateral? Wouldn't there be a certain interest factor in it? Perhaps it should increase with each time the player saves the game? :p

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTiger View Post
    Why should the sword fire sword beams if it costs 45 rupees?
    Because it's the Wooden Sword! Also, money is much rarer in this quest than in others. Don't think you can just find it lying in the tall grass!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTiger View Post
    Also, what profit does the guy receive from loaning people rupees for collateral? Wouldn't there be a certain interest factor in it?
    Indeed, I have in fact implemented a certain "interest factor". But for now can I slyly remind you about that time when I mentioned that the starting town is a hotbed for organised crime?

Thread Information