Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.21%

GRIKARUGUN *Insert coin(s) to continue*

Well, it's been a while since I posted a demo of anything, and this one is sure to not disappoint. Especially for those of you who thoroughly enjoy a challenge and/or getting your ass handed back to you on a silver plate, typical of Gleeok fashion. For the rest of you I have implemented a built in difficulty mode that you can access from the options menu in the title screen, more on this later. So, where to start...lets see...

***UPDATE 8-13-13***
    * RELEASE BETA for 2.5: http://filesmelt.com/dl/GRIKARUGUN.qst
    * All Levels are complete!
    * All bosses are finished!
    * Difficulty has been further tweaked. Enjoy!

Features:
    * Full custom-ripped and re-drawn 8-bit tileset.
    * Certified organic scripts from a massive script farm. (Guess the LOC count, win a prize!)
    * Bullets, bullets, and more bullets! =p
    * 5 Levels.
    * 7 Custom Bosses.

Difficulty Setting:

Easy Mode For little girls. Better play with your my little pony dolls instead.
    Normal Mode You should play for your first attempt.
    Hard Mode - Cruel, Unrelenting, and Unforgiving Difficulty setting.
    Insane Mode - Those sensitive to flashing lights and moving objects should not be playing this.

Bonus Waves and Powered-up enemies and bosses: The game can "sense" when you are kicking ass or racking up a huge score, and will send extra enemies and/or increase the power of some existing enemies to compensate. This is also useful for getting an even higher score..or unlocking Bonus Boss Attacks. Pow++.

Movement Type:

Z3 movement - Disabled]
    Custom - Slightly improved control scheme for this genre, allows the ship to move somewhat faster and gives greater response with diagonal movement.

Ship Type:

Speed Type - Self explanatory. Use the R button to speed up.
    Weapon Type - [Disabled]

Option Type:

Follow Type - Standard. (Currently Direction type)
    Directional Type - Will follow the player.
    Freeze Type - Hold L to lock options in place. (Similar to directional type)
    Spacing Type - Use the L button to increase/decrease spacing.
    Rotation Type - Use the L button to increase/decrease orbit radius.

The Controls:

A Button - Main laser cannon. (Variable damage based on enemy polarity)
    B Button - Switch shield polarity.
    Ex4 Button - Deflection Swords. (Heavy damage but short range. Will also deflect green projectiles)
    R Button - Speed Up.
    L Button - Switches main laser cannon to aft lasers or used for options.
    L + A - Aft Lasers.
    Ex3 Button - Homing Missiles. (Massive damage to enemies)-Uses energy.
    Ex1 Button - Switch between fixed and floating shield types (note-floating options consume energy to fire)
    Ex2 Button - Fires Mega Crusher Laser but uses ALL of your remaining energy reserve. <3

The Scoring System And Gameplay:

Each enemy has a specific color: Blue, Red, Green, or Colorless. *Bosses can utilize any or all colors, but themselves are usually colorless*
    Blue, Red, and Green enemies can be chained together for a higher score.

Opposite color lasers and projectiles than their target deal double the damage. Use this to your advantage. EX: A blue laser will deal 1 damage to a blue target, whereas a red laser will deal 2 damage to a blue target.

Absorb shots! Projectiles of the same polarity (color) can be absorbed by your energy shield, (floating or fixed) and will increase your current stored energy. Green bullets cannot be absorbed by your shield, however you can deflect them by using the sword. Yellow and Grey bullets cannot be stopped.

Scoring System: Basically like Ikaruga. See that little number with the three dots in the upper-left hand corner of the screen? Yep, that's the one. Kill a blue enemy and it turns blue. Kill another one and you've made two. One more and congrats, you've just completed a chain! So now it should read "1" and be grayed in. Now kill three more enemies of a certain color and bam! Two-chain. I think you get the idea. Currently there is an on-screen display limit of 99 chains. Anything past that point will read "max". Maybe there are secrets that unlock if you get enough?

Suicide bullets Sometimes spamming laser shots is the worst thing you can do! Beware.

Dash some screen-shots for seasoning.

And your quest link;

***Updated 2-14-10: DEMO2 - Level 1 and 2 - Unpassworded version. It's about freakin time! Uses build 1170 or higher. :)

GRIKARUGUN_lv2_demo
    Last edited by Gleeok; 09-16-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.9%

Re: GRIKARUGUN *Insert coin(s) to continue*

Yeowza. THIS is why I thought it was wise to script and design out in the open, rather than in secret. This looks bad ass. Downloading now!

<<Plays, gets hammered by first boss>>

Haha holy shit. You really did get the bullet hell concept working on ZClassic! Are the bullets all draw primitives? So that you can control the hit box?

The problem now, of course, is that I have to revamp my own shmup levels because they're pretty tame in comparison to this stuff. Well done!

<<Waxed by boss again>>

I can't seem to get your special weapon combinations to work. Backwards shot works, nothing else.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.97%

This looks good. I'm obviously using easy mode, but this defiitely shows what ZC has come from. First, it could just clone Zelda 1. Now, we have arcade games with it. Simply amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.21%

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post
    <<Plays, gets hammered by first boss>>

<<Waxed by boss again>>

I can't seem to get your special weapon combinations to work. Backwards shot works, nothing else.
    Are you using a keyboard or controller? I did a run through of it before I posted it and I didn't notice anything not working correctly. (besides the stuff that only almost works correctly)

Damn, what settings do you have it on? I'll look into it, there's a small chance I overlooked something with weapon type, but it should be working correctly.

Also, OK, by now you've figured out that easy mode is just the same as normal but with more hit points basically. So...yeah...I never got motivated to actually make easy mode substantially easier. I'm going to have to go through lots of code. XD Next demo, I promise. I'd hate for you to not see the rest of it though. If you want the cheat code, I give it to you no problem. ...everyone else, tough luck :p

Also bonus points for anyone who can name all the games used in the title.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

&&
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.74%

Do I get the cheat code Gleeok? =P

This is just insane =P

EDIT:
    Well, I managed to get to the second boss in the end anyway.

Pretty impressive I must say.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.9%

I hate you, first boss.

These sort of madness SHUMPS are so pretty, and I'm so bad at them.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.97%

Dang it! I almost beat the first boss! Almost! Wow, I have to say, that was pretty impressive Gleeok.
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.29%

Wow! What a game!

I got to the first boss! I beat the first boss! And I got to the 2nd boss! With only one and a half health bars left... on easy mode... DANG IT!

Can I have the password? I have no idea how Joe beat the 2nd boss, but I need some scripting help, inspiration, and techniques that could probably be found in your .z file! PM it to me, PLEASE! (Although I could just use the one from your previous game...)

Either way, I am just in awe of your scripting abilities, Gleeok!

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.21%

OK, now this is why I needed to get a demo out at a still somewhat early stage in development. Thanks for the feedback guys, your comments are useful. :)

Some major revamping in regards to the game modes that are now very far reaching indeed, without losing any of the 'artsy' visuals, cool patterns, or compromising the structure in how the game plays.

The enemy death retaliation fire is now adjusted according to difficulty setting. (2 shots slow / 3 shots medium / 4 shots fast speed)
    Medium, large enemies, and bosses now have a variable HP respectively. (The boss bar still shows a full bar, and drops by percentage of boss HP)
    Likewise with some of the more diabolical enemy groupings and patterns, but perhaps more importantly , bullets. (they start shooting at you later on mind you :o )

Added 7 new enemy types and finishing up stage 1c...It's a doozy. I think what I'm gonna do is make it so you can continue at the last boss of the final stage in each level...which is like a whole level in itself. That way I don't really have to worry about people complaining that it's the most fucked up thing ever to have to start from the beginning of each level for the final bosses.

I gotta post some of these enemy movement scripts too, and, anyway's...I'll try and update the demo with all the changes I've mentioned, and lv1 fully complete, as soon as possible.

&&
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.74%