Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    85.93%

Exclamation OMGLOLMYFIRSTQUEST

I'm kidding. I've made 3 entirely functional and complete quests already that I don't want to release because I'm not the type of person that thinks that my first (or second and third) shot is likely to be a winner.

I've been toying around with the editor for years, and my most recent quest may be something I'd want people to see. It's very nearly finished, and will probably be done about 1 week after I find an editor that works.

I call it:

Wizzrobe's Big Day Out

The highest peak of Hyrule:

Red sky? Hyrule is in a pinch!

It uses a lot of the original art (although heavily modified in many cases) and a good deal of my own art, all kept looking 8-bit. Everything in it could be on an 8-bit cartridge as long as you assume that the game is capable of layering sprites for getting like 5-6 colors like in some later NES games.

Snowy place.

Guess whether or not that tree is a secret and win a secret.

Did I use a palette shift? Why yes, I did!

Obviously, you're playing as the titular character, a Wizzrobe. Ganon is building a fortress in the sky with which to wield and amplify his mighty magical powers and Link is nowhere to be found. The Player is an inexplicably uppity and pugnacious Wizzrobe who doesn't much care for Ganon. Most of the Wizzrobes of the world are still allied with Ganon. They look like normal Wizzrobes, you don't. Some of them look like Zelda 2 Wizzrobes. You know, the KKK guys. You do, however, have a couple quirky and mysterious Wizzrobe buddies on your side. And by quirky I mean annoying and by mysterious I mean Mexican.

I get the feeling there's something he's not telling me.

Wizzrobe's Big Day Out is fairly non-linear, although it's usually pretty obvious when you're in the wrong dungeon.

Occasionally some very ridiculous things happen. This picture is a huge spoiler if you like surprises.

OMG do those pillars have lighting effects?! Not really.

This quest is HARD. I've played Zelda games a LOT and have set it to be at a challenging difficulty for myself, which I have to keep increasing to keep it from being boring as I play test it. The most difficult parts (the ones I die on more often than not) are all optional.

Entrance to the very difficult and optional Temple of Trials type thing:

It's more like the original quest than newer games in that most secrets don't really have any hints about where to find them, and you can rarely be sure you've found everything even when you find a secret area. There is a Lens of Truth, but it's not wildly easy to locate itself.

Here's the general back story if you're in to spoilers:

After Ganon's previous defeat all of Hyrule hosted a huge party for Link. Link got terribly wasted and passed out in the evening and that latino Wizzrobe stole all of Link's belongings and left him on a boat to Tijuana. Ganon either didn't die or got revived somehow and decided that with Link in an unknown foreign country he'd go and build a flying castle. That's when you, a lowly Wizzrobe, steps up to the plate to take a swing at Ganon the second time around. Ganon's first act after his hovering palace of doom is finished is to blow up the ocean, so that Link can't get back to Hyrule and stop him.

Anyway. Like I said, I've already made everything from start to finish, I just need a stable platform to bug test it on.
    You know what I hate...? A LOT of things. God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.41%

Re: OMGLOLMYFIRSTQUEST

If the Expo were still around for entries, I'm sure this would've made top honors. Never before have I seen the classic set (with obvious modifications) go so far with innovatibility before. What you've done to make all those tiles and yet retain a classic feel along with fitting perfectly in with the classic tileset is bloody brilliant. I especially like the cloud and sky effects. And being a Wizzrobe? It's probably been done somewhere before... but it hasn't been executed anywhere near close to this well. The only things I'll probably not be able to see until this is released are the gameplay (fun factor) and the music selection. Aside from that, everything I see so far is superb.
    I look forward to playing this quest soon.

... as for a stable platform... do you mean which build to use it on? Firstly, I have no clue which build you're using, and secondly... well... the only stable builds I know of are pretty old ones relative to the latest stuff, and odds are, you're probably a little past b254 or whatever else I'm still stuck on.
    Last edited by Zim; 05-18-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    Creator of ZURPG, a Zelda game that's influenced by D&D and JRPGs to bring together a unique gameplay system combined with roleplaying.

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.59%

The screenshots look really great. You should reconsider and let us all take a stab at playing your quests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    85.93%

Glad you like it.

I wasn't really expecting phrases like "top honors" and "hasn't been executed anywhere near close to this well" and "aside from that"... uh... I mean, "superb." So far the music is stuff that's probably been done before, original and Z2 stuff. I've been toying with the idea of using my brother to make music. He writes things like chiptunes so it'd be fitting in that respect, it's just hard to get him to stop beating everything to death with the "Make it sound like the '80's stick."

By a stable platform I mean anything that runs on my computer without crashing on start-up or while idling. I used 2.10 for the entirety of this quest, but it arbitrarily stopped working a few months ago. I was distraught and went into a long, brooding silence. When I emerged I saw that there was 2.50, I was ecstatic. Then I learned it crashes like Princess Diana every 5 minutes. I decided this time that I'd wait for a while before sealing myself away.

ms_zelda_lady,

The only other one that I like enough for people to play is about 95% finished, but I forgot the password several years ago. Also I don't remember what I was doing with it so it would take FOREVER to go through each screen and figure out what's in the game. That was before I started making notes about what I'd done...

I FORGOT! I drew this a while ago. It's just an idea for the title screen I'm gonna have with the Wizzrobe looking pretty much like that, and Link looking really confused in the background wearing a sombrero.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.92%

Looks really nice. This could possibly be the most innovative Classic quest I've seen... Be sure to submit it to the www.zeldaclassic.com database!!!
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

&&
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.7%

Those screenshots look great, and your quest certainly seems interesting, but they are far too big.
    Howcomes you've taken such big ones?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    85.93%

They're about 1024x768. My resolution is 1280x1024, so they look fine to me. I was lazy and just snapshotted and resized by 4x in photoshop. It's far better than making them too small!

&&
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.7%

Well, no it's not actually >_<
    So long as you don't loose any quality (obviously scaling them down 50% so you lose half the detail looks awful) it's fine.
    Most screenshots people post aren't scaled up 4 times =P

They don't fit on my screen, it's really not much fun to look at having to scroll around and stuff >_<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    85.93%

Here's some smaller screenshots so that people with low resolutions don't have to scroll around or use a browser that automatically resizes things.

Yeah, that's right. This is for you, Joe, you big baby.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    85.8%

Nice, you know, there have been times when I was getting my ass kicked by wizzrobes in a quest and I would wonder, "What if I could actually be one of those things?"

I didn't expect that those of us who thought that way would soon be about to get our wish...

Thread Information