Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.08%

Re: SotW 2 (Voting now open)

Am I the only person who absolutely hates Sharon's tiles in his shot? I mean really, everything looks like it's made out of cardboard :/

Joe, fix those damn shadows, or get rid of them. It just looks flat-out horrible the way it is now.

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.88%

Meh, I tried. I was going for a cartoony look. Next week I'll submit a shot from a different tileset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.1%

Revfan- This screen has a ...cohesiveness that many other peoples screens (and yes, a fair number of your own) don't have. Everything feels like one part of a big picture, not just tile together. Got my vote.

Blaman- Nice, and I can see a good old-school style quest, but not very pretty to look at by itself.

LostinHyru1e- Second place in my opinion. Can't put my finger on it, but something about it just vibes with me.

Russadwan- Like people have said, a bit washed out. My advice is: if your going to use a pallete that light, have some sandstorm over it on level 6. Otherwise it just looks...faded.

MightyDarknut- I really like the style. However, it lacks the ....pizazz for SotW material. Fine for a quest screen, but something like this should be the best of your work.

Joe123- Pretty good. Unfortunatly a bit too..."standard DoR", a lot of decorative tiles that make it feel crowded and complicated, but without cohesivness.

&&
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.76%

Quote Originally Posted by Revfan9 View Post
    Joe, fix those damn shadows, or get rid of them. It just looks flat-out horrible the way it is now.
    I have, they're a shade darker now and they look a lot better.
    That's just an old shot I found in my photobucket.

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.85%

Revfan9
    Revfan's shot is very nice. It's good to see the unused sets shine. Everything looks amazing. The only complaint I have is the water looks too repetitive compared to the varied grass and mountains. Overall, the composition is very nice, and I really wanna find out what is inside that giant pot. Very nice atmosphere all together *votes*

LostInHyrule
    This is another very nice PTUX shot. Even though this set is used a lot, you still have a nice screen here. There just isn't anything super awesome, or out of the ordinary about it.

Blaman
    This is a pretty sweet Kid Icarus shot. It's not really showing anything though. No Pit, no snakes, no eggplant wizards, or grim rimmers... This is still very cool :) 3rd Place.

Russadwan
    This is a sweet dessert shot. I like the red Pegasus Seed tree in the corner. The green rocks don't really go with the sand though. They look mossy, and I don't think moss grows in the dessert. Palette permitting, I'd make them a darker yellow/ brown color.

mighty_darknut
    Now, this is a nice custom set. I really like the tops of the mountains, but the face of the mountains look very 2D. I'm not sure if it was the look you were going for, but the shading looks kinda off. I like the path, and tree though. I guess it's not custom. Nice anyway, but the grass could use some more detail. I guess I'm just used to everyone and their mother using SD3 grass, so it looks kinda plain. I also like the little Bomberman guy. 2nd Place.

Joe123
    This shot is also very nice. It has a lot going on, and that is good. The transparent tree-tops look kinda weird though. I know it is just the way ZC draws layers, but it look kinda gray. and clashes with the light green. I like the blue and pink trees though. I'm always a fan of a splash of color in these woods.

Nice showing. This is better than PZC's line up. After 200-some-odd weeks, it is getting stale there.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.9%

I voted for LostInHyrule. For whatever reason this shot appealed to me the most. I like the mix that you did with the dungeon walls from MC and the pure tiles. It's a nice twist to the look and adds something different. The lava is good looking there as well.

Revfan's shot is great, as usual. There is something that just bothered me about the shadows from the trees. The same pattern is just repeating, and to me it just didn't seem right. Everything else is great though.

Blaman, those are some great Kid Icarus tiles. Are they rips or did you make them by hand?

Russ, I like the shot. It's very light for a desert, which isn't a bad thing. It makes it have more of a bleached sand look.

MD, I love the colors, I just wish there was... well, more to the shot. Maybe a little less green space and you would have my vote.

Joe, you really have made some nice overworld screens. This one is right up there. I am going to agree with Pineconn's point about the shadow over the dirt. Other than that, excellent.

Great shots again everyone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.08%

Joe. See the shadows on my screen? That's how the TotR ones are supposed to look. I know that shot doesn't use those new shadows, but I do believe that your newer shots have them, and you have the same problem with those shadows as well. I also don't like the look of just overlaying random shadows everywhere without having something on the screen to give the shadow off...

Anyhow, my shot is an old TF screen that I made well over a year ago. The shadow pattern repeats because that's how TotR uses them. Admittedly, it looks just fine over the grass, but over plain areas where there isn't much color change, it looks like crap. I shouldn't have laid those shadows down over the house.

The water is animated btw, and it looks absolutely amazing animated so. Maybe I should have made it an animated GIF...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.68%

Revfan: The tiles are beautiful. But the design doesn't work in my opinion. For some reason I don't like the layout of the screen.

LostInHyru1e: This is second place for me. I liked the layout of the screen, it works and looks like a good dungeon. The right side is a little plain, but it is good.

Blaman: It is original. I like the screen. I don't know how it is exactly played but it is good.

Russ: I don't like the layout on this one, but it shows promise. I don't know why but the mountains are killing it for me, and the pallete is like everyone said washed out. But yeah, I don't know how it connects to the other screens but it just doesn't like right.

SD: Bomberman! This is a good screen I thought. The design is really good. The tiles are look can be a little better, but it really does work.

Joe123: This is the one I voted for. I thought the design and layout could have been a little better, but the overall mood is great. I can tell just by looking at the screen, it will be a blast to play. Which is what a screen should do.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.98%

Just a little note to everyone who has commented on the palette my screen uses, I didn't make it. It's Joe123's edit of a palette Revfan made to replace DoR's standard palette for the desert (which is much to dark). But thanks for the good comments!
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.47%

That light palette is great for Joe's desert, which uses tons of color and more open designs. But for yours, the darker palette would've been much better.

Thread Information