vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.66%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Founder of Greenpeace: No Proof of Global Warming

Interesting.

Greenpeace founder Patrick Moore says there is no proof global warming is caused by humans, but it is likely enough that the world should turn to nuclear power - a concept tied closely to the underground nuclear testing his former environmental group formed to oppose...

"It's like buying fire insurance," Moore said. "We all own fire insurance even though there is a low risk we are going to get into an accident."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.49%

Re: Founder of Greenpeace: No Proof of Global Warming

Global Warming is a lie and we should turn to nuclear power? I think I like this guy, but I'll read the article when I'm not rushing for class.
    invincible - "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink."

Elihu Burritt - "Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence."

2008 Record (final): 84-78: NL West Champs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.2%

How is it that you're able to see that the global warming debate is a farce, and yet still end up taking a side, Phattonez?
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.49%

I didn't get to find the best word to describe it since I had to leave for class. I mean sure, there's probably some truth to it, but I don't feel like there is any way to have enough research to prove that it is happening. There are just way too many variables, especially too many to claim that this is not a natural fluctuation of the Earth. And, from what I've heard, atmospheric temperatures have stabilized in the last 10 years and ocean temperatures have lowered. Arctic ice pack is actually increasing. Global Warming is something that is not being studied by unbiased bodies it seems.
    invincible - "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink."

Elihu Burritt - "Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.94%

Prediction: The True Believers, led by Saint Al Gore, will downplay, twist, or outright ignore this position.

You can always tell an open-minded person from a True Believer. The open-minded person will think critically about their own position when they see contrary evidence. The True Believer will either ignore contrary evidence, or somehow spin it around to somehow support their preconceived notions.

Example of a global warming True Believer: "Look at this record-high temperature: Sure evidence of global warming." "Don't be deceived by this record-low temperature: Climate change will produce all sorts of crazy weather."

Another example: In 2005 we had a higher-than-average hurricane season. The True Believers, led by the Chosen One Al Gore, called it prima facie evidence of global warming. In the past two years we have had lower-than-average hurricane seasons. Not a peep from the True Believers. (Hint kids, that is why the word is "average".)
    "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord..."
    "In the name of the best within you, do not sacrifice this world to those who are its worst."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.66%

Quote Originally Posted by Starkist View Post
    Prediction: The True Believers, led by Saint Al Gore, will downplay, twist, or outright ignore this position.

You can always tell an open-minded person from a True Believer. The open-minded person will think critically about their own position when they see contrary evidence. The True Believer will either ignore contrary evidence, or somehow spin it around to somehow support their preconceived notions.

Example of a global warming True Believer: "Look at this record-high temperature: Sure evidence of global warming." "Don't be deceived by this record-low temperature: Climate change will produce all sorts of crazy weather."

Another example: In 2005 we had a higher-than-average hurricane season. The True Believers, led by the Chosen One Al Gore, called it prima facie evidence of global warming. In the past two years we have had lower-than-average hurricane seasons. Not a peep from the True Believers. (Hint kids, that is why the word is "average".)

Yeah people who believe things without skepticism are crazy, aren't they? I mean, how can anyone just accept something on faith? It's very stupid. I totally agree with your assesment of this type of thinking.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.2%

I see what you did there, Beldaran. And oh, okay Phattonez - you had me worried, because you were speaking the language of the global-warming deniers, who in my view are just as bad and exploitive as the global-warming believers. I find the whole thing to be utterly ridiculous. You have a serious question posed regarding the environmental impact of our activities, and everyone just wants to politicize it.

And I mean, yeah, I understand that it's politicized because of the perceived impact on the economy of something like global warming, but I really think that people aren't being realistic here. I mean, even if global warming is real, we can't just stop using coal and oil tomorrow. That's utterly absurd. Just as absurd, however, are the people who don't believe we need to do something about our dependence on coal and oil, because there are so many other considerations besides whether or not it contributes to global warming. Regardless of global warming, it's still horribly polluting the atmosphere, as anyone who lives in a city knows. Regardless of global warming, we still have to deal with the fact that it's intimately tied to our relationship with the Middle East (really, it'd just be so much better if we could just avoid the region entirely). Regardless of global warming, we still have to face the fact that within the next few decades, and there's a good chance that it'll be sooner rather than later, the price of oil will just become prohibitively expensive.

At any rate, certainly, something's going on with the climate. We've got huge chunks of ice melting at both the North and South poles. It really behooves us to find out why, even if it isn't us who caused it, so we can at least know the extent of what's going on, and hopefully prepare for it and try to minimize the impact. Even if it's natural, it doesn't mean it's not something to be concerned about - remember, earthquakes, volcanoes, and hurricanes are all natural, too.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.49%

Like I said before, the Arctic Ice Pack is growing, but decreasing in certain areas. I wonder where Al Gore is putting his cameras.

I don't completely deny that the Earth is warming up, but I do deny that it is as bad as the environmentalists say it is. They want to go way too far, and CO2 emissions aren't as bad as ozone emissions. That's the real problem. Low level ozone is terrible and no one is speaking out against it. That is the more pressing issue than Global Warming and that is what celebrities and environmentalists SHOULD be speaking out against (this is the going on the basis that celebrities are going to talk no matter what, even though I think that they should just keep their mouths completely shut).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.61%

Don't worry about it. The real problem is the Earth is suffering from an infestation, of humans. There is a huge population of these critters, and it cannot be sustained, especially with them moving towards western lifestyle habits. This problem is caused by people in poor countries that won't stop fucking and infesting the earth with their spawnlings. Apparently some people think they have the right to pump 20 kids out of their vagina.

But, hopefully a plague or perhaps a war will break out causing massive death in hugely populated areas such as India, China, throw in Africa for good measure. No one has the balls to say it, but that is the solution. While some people want to tell you we need to reduce emissions and use energy more wisely, improve technology, etc... We aren't up for it, certainly not now.

The real solution is the same solution as always. If we suddenly don't have these millions of Chinese and Indians and Africans, the strain on resources will be reduced. Primarily India and China are the problem as they are buying alot of the oil for their growing industrial wastelands. That is probably reason enough to bomb them into the stone age. The planet can't take nations as big as India and China really industrializing like us. So I volunteer them for death.

And global warming, reguardless if it is happening now or not, will result in drastic changes that will fuck us over. Also, the Earth oribital pattern we are in right now should actually be causing the planet to get cooler. We are in a point where the planet gets less energy from the sun. Not like the angle change of summer/winter, but something of a longer time span. So, when the planet should actually be in a cooling spell, we are actually getting warmer... hmm...

And once again the faggots were wrong, violence is the answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.49%

MottZilla, like I said before, global temperatures have plateaued, and there is reason to believe that the rise in temperature was mostly due to activity of the sun. There is a real concern about cooling right now, but people don't really know about that.

Thread Information