Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.65%

Emulation - your views on it

In my opinion, if you emulate games that nobody's making money from, in theory it's alright to do it.

Like, old games that aren't being sold anymore, or games that are really rare or impossible to get the "right" way.
    You can take the nerd out of 4chan, but you can't take 4chan out of the nerd.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.85%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Re: Emulation - your views on it

No, it isn't alright to do it. Justify it to yourself however you like. And you shouldn't use the phrase impossible to get. I'm certain the ROMs you downloaded are far from rare. You just don't want to spend the money to purchase the original cartridges and such. Honestly, we don't need topics like this. There is little point in it.

You want to download ROMs, fine. No one here is going to care or lose any sleep over it. If you agree or disagree with people downloading ROMs, again that's not going to stop anyone nor do they care.

There's nothing more to say. You're wrong if you believe what you are doing is legal (in countries like the US.) The big picture is that is costs alot of time and money to combat piracy. Thus someone downloading a game no longer in regular retail channels is not as important as those downloading games that are fresh from the presses. The End.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.47%

Ethics-wise? I honestly don't care. ;/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.85%

See, case and point right there. Nobody cares. If you were worried about the police busting in your door or feeling guilty just don't worry about it. You're about the only one worried about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.32%

Quite honestly, if it's something that I can't buy anymore because they don't make it anymore, I sometimes download the version. But anything "modern" which I define as N64+, than yeah, it's just wrong.
    Like, I have Earthbound on my computer because I'm really not cutting the company out of any money. I couldn't buy it anyway, so it's not like I could give then payment and am just choosing to steal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.49%

The process of emulating something is 100% legal. The process of downloading roms is, however, 100% illegal, even if you own the game. It's only legal if you yourself upload YOUR copy of the rom from YOUR game cartridge. I also agree with Amaster42.

Earthbound + eBay/Amazon = $80+

Click here to level up my card!

"Everybody's doing it... I just wanted to be popular."
    Bender- Futurama

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.49%

Illegal? Yes, but who gives a crap? I mean, I download a copy of Goldeneye, which I already own, so I can play it with my PC controller and not my crappy, banged up N64 controller, it's not even as if there's any potential market to be hurt there.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.85%

Quote Originally Posted by Amaster42 View Post
    Quite honestly, if it's something that I can't buy anymore because they don't make it anymore, I sometimes download the version. But anything "modern" which I define as N64+, than yeah, it's just wrong.
    Like, I have Earthbound on my computer because I'm really not cutting the company out of any money. I couldn't buy it anyway, so it's not like I could give then payment and am just choosing to steal.
    Wrong. Even if it is before the N64 it is still "wrong" or illegal. Downloading Earthbound is wrong too. If it isn't on the Virtual Console yet it will be in the future. Just admit you stole it. Or atleast don't justify it.

No one will respect someone who justifies it by saying oh I didn't have a choice! Just say fuck them you don't care. We can respect that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.32%

If it isn't on the Virtual Console yet it will be in the future.
    At which point I will buy it. Because Nintendo and the people who made it get that money, not some guy selling it on ebay for 4 times retail price.
    They make money on the first sale. After that secondhand doesn't make them any more.

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.05%

I'd rather play games on the console they were made for with a controller myself... but as far as arguments go, emulation is a gray area... roms are illegal but nobody is going to hunt you down and arrest you for it (unless of course you somehow have a next gen emulator and are downloading new games). All in all I didn't know emulation was still big anymore.

As for old games, just make sure we are not talking about old Nintendo systems, as others have said Nintendo makes big bucks selling the classics on VC. If its not out, it eventually will be (at a snails pace for sure).
    If Loving X-box is wrong, I don't want to be right. If you agree, and have X-Box Live... my screen name is Dragon7898

Thread Information