Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.51%

Re: Coming Soon..Designer Babies

Reminds me of "Brave New World," too. On the other hand, my reaction to the whole thing was "Damn, well, that's one thing they got right."
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.47%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Re: Coming Soon..Designer Babies

I've had so many potential replies to this ever since the thread appeared on the forum index. None of them are in the least appropriate for general viewing, if not society's generic moral fiber today.

In the Vorkosigan saga by Lois McMaster Bujold, there is a cloning laboratory in a world in a remote sector of known space in which acts such as cloning are considered legal, in the "Out of sight, out of mind" way of things. They make a tidy profit by cloning people, keeping the clones in top physical shape, and then about a year from the deal's closure, move them to an enclave for further physical strengthening, and then the dealmaker's brain is surgically substituted for the clone's, and the clone's brain is deemed medical waste. A happy ending, no? :)

Let's hope this doesn't come to that down the road. The place would probably get bombed by activists less than ten years after the place sees its first customer.

Of course, this is just me being completely bored before my first class, and having to empty my mind to absorb what economics class can try to push into it.

Thread Information