0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    24.07%

Re: ZC on the Wii

Quote Originally Posted by Revfan9 View Post
    Reverse engineering is legal because you can't copyright or patent the function of something, you can only copyright how it works. "Clean Room" reverse engineering is perfectly legal because it provides similar function to another device or piece of software, without stepping on any copyrights by copying how it actually performs its job. ZC's code is very different from how the original Zelda works, but in the end it provides similar function.

ZC isn't technically legal because it uses names, characters, and levels that are copyrighted by Nintendo. If Nintendo wanted to come and shut us down, they could do it easily. They won't, however, since it would take more money to pay the legal force to sift through all the paperwork than they could possibly profit from rubbing us out.

ZC takes up much more RAM than the original game since the original game is a freaking NES title. The original game was programmed to be able to allow the levels, enemies, and areas that are in the game to function properly, and that's it. Ever tried to edit the original Zelda with ROM hacking software? It's inflexible as hell. ZC has to modularize everything to make sure that every software call is always available, to give quest makers the freedom to do whatever they want. Not to mention that ZC has about 1000 times as many features that Zelda.nes does, and that ZC was coded using Allegro which isn't quite the most friendly or efficient library.

It's increased processing requirements has nothing to do with the fact that it's reverse engineered. It takes up more processing because it has more features. Reverse engineering/cloning itself has almost no actual effect on the quality of the end software. So long as the programmers know what they're doing, it won't have significant impact. In many cases, the resulting cloned software is actually much more efficient than the original. (ReactOS, anyone? :3)

We can't have ZC on the Wii right now because of the Allegro library and because of a lack of developer initiative, as well as ZC being closed source software. The Allegro library pretty much can't be ported to other processor architectures without a complete rewrite. I guess you could come up with some freaky emulation solution, but that would in the end just be more trouble than its worth.
    Well, I was around half right or so.

Click here to level up my card!

"Everybody's doing it... I just wanted to be popular."
    Bender- Futurama

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    70.34%

Actually you were wrong on all accounts, except maybe the Wii not having enough RAM for ZC (which I'm honestly not sure if that's entirely true, and even if it is a dedicated Wii version could surely have some features removed or extra optimizations made to reduce footprint).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    24.07%

Way to put a guy down. I see how some people aren't very fond of you.

Click here to level up my card!

"Everybody's doing it... I just wanted to be popular."
    Bender- Futurama

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.22%

Verified Bug Re: ZC on the Wii

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSwordUltima View Post
    Alright guys, I'll do it. Have it done in two minutes.
    It's been longer then two minutes, so what do we have so far?

Maybe this Zelda Classic being ported to Wii, would be much easier if we had someone with experience in making homebrew for the gamecube and wii. If we really want this then maybe we should call on one of the experts from teksheen.com

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.78%

Quote Originally Posted by bobrocks95 View Post
    Way to put a guy down. I see how some people aren't very fond of you.
    Ehheh. Winner right here.

Back to topic. I would see this quite possible. The Wii has the Broadway
    processor of 729Mhz, and the Hollywood GPU of 243Mhz, 88MB of RAM.
    When we cut out ZQuest, and optimize a bit, take out some features,
    I could see this happening. Through homebrew, of course. But nobody
    will ever make it, so it's a big no-no for ZC Wii.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    45.73%

Basically, you'd have to start from scratch to make it run smooth on the Wii. Furthermore, if you'd want to have custom quests on the wii utilizing this 'homebrew ZC.' You'd have to program this version to accomodate all the features each of the quests you're porting over are using. Its just too many variables and nobody really has time as it is to do that type of workload. I mean, look at ZC 2.5, its like Duke Nukem Forever at this point. So why push the devs to start a new project to get ZC on the Wii? Its pointless.
    "If anybody says him/her/it without defining what they're talking about, the conversation is automatically about my p.e.n.i.s. :-D" - Wild Bill
    "Design ideas come to me during fetid fits of masturbation." - C-Dawg
    "I want to give NoeL a blowjob! ^_^" - Peteo
    "The magic boob should be mine any minute!" - Koopa
    "Suicide is the most sincere form of self-criticism" - My Film Professor

クールな男
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.42%

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Cracker View Post
    It's been longer then two minutes, so what do we have so far?

Maybe this Zelda Classic being ported to Wii, would be much easier if we had someone with experience in making homebrew for the gamecube and wii. If we really want this then maybe we should call on one of the experts from teksheen.com
    Its been done. Its just that I need to raise the thousands of dollars to pay the various ratings boards, not to mention the big N itself, in order to make it available on the Shop Channel like you guys wanted. I'm going for a price range of 1337 WiiPoints. Oh, it'll also be in the Playstation Store and XBL Arcade for much more, because this is a nintendo game and I have to pay nintendo and sony and microsoft and...I'm going to stop before I turn into zelda64gld.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.22%

Moved Bug Re: ZC on the Wii

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSwordUltima View Post
    Its been done. Its just that I need to raise the thousands of dollars to pay the various ratings boards, not to mention the big N itself, in order to make it available on the Shop Channel like you guys wanted. I'm going for a price range of 1337 WiiPoints. Oh, it'll also be in the Playstation Store and XBL Arcade for much more, because this is a nintendo game and I have to pay nintendo and sony and microsoft and...I'm going to stop before I turn into zelda64gld.
    Why don't you just give it away as a .wad Zelda Classic is free on the PC, why not let Zelda Classic on the Wii be free as well?

You just PM a download link to me, I know the right guy to distrubute it.

Thread Information