Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.21%

<click>Holy shit</click>

Dont ask, I didn't think that this was implemented yet either....Just stick in a number divisible by 20 for D[0], (ie; 2000 or 11460) and the CSet most of your tiles or sprites use that look good for D[1]. Put on a blank screen and thats it.

What does it do? ...It will scroll through your entire tilepage for Layer one. Have fun.

edit: Changed a tiny bit. use something like 10,000 for D[0] argument. OMG, I'm flying!

Code:
    ffc script Background{

void run(int tile, int cset){

int delay = 0;
    	this->X = 0; this->Y = -16;
    	int t = tile;
    		while(true){

Waitframe();

int tx = this->X; int ty = this->Y;

Screen->DrawTile(1,tx,ty,t,16,11,cset,1,0,0,0,0,true,128);

delay++;
    			if(delay >= 4){ this->Y++; delay=0;}

if(this->Y > 0){this->Y = -16; t -= 20;}
    		}
    	}
    }
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.97%

Re: <click>Holy shit</click>

What exactly does it do?
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.21%

Quote Originally Posted by russadwan View Post
    What exactly does it do?
    It's a secret.

Also for useful purposes the: t += 20; should be: t -= 20; and would move backwards through the tilepages, not forwards.

I gave up on the drawing stuff because I thought it would take 176 seperate statements to fill the screen. Never thought of it like this though. So yeah C-, you don't need that many pages of crap if you just work it out so the animation loops. Good idea.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.97%

Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    It's a secret.
    Dang, now I have to actually put it into a quest and try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.9%

Ah, I thought that would do it.

So, want to make some backgrounds for the flying stages?

P.S. Gleeok's post is needlessly obtuse. He's implemented code that will cause the screen to scroll smoothly through your tile list. The immediate application is for overhead flying levels where the combo properties of the screen need not change, but it should appear that you are flying over a changing landscape. This will make Zodiac's flying levels much less monotonous. I'm eager to see what other people do with this, bearing in mind that combo properties can't be moved around the screen quite so easily. Well, they can, but it requires more work and more draw commands.

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.21%

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post

So, want to make some backgrounds for the flying stages?
    Well if your drawing or ripping them. I don't think you want me near a tile edit box.

P.S. Gleeok's post is needlessly obtuse. He's implemented code that will cause the screen to scroll smoothly through your tile list.
    Yes but there's been a few threads now on how to make side-scrolling screens. I think like me, no one realized you could do this yet. Think if the rotation part of the code was working.

ps: Anyone know any links to stuff like 8-bit maps for side scrolling shooters. Google is a filthy whore...I checked vgmaps aleady too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.9%

Nevermind, I'll draw them myself.

If one sets aside 100 tile pages for backgrounds... lets see.... two corridors per zone, except for Capricorn, means 18 corridors. Plus one for the initial spaceflight in... and another for the last spaceflight out... and one more for a bonus corridor in Capricorn.. so I have 21 total corridors needed. Splitting 100 tile pages 21 ways means a little less than 5 pages per screen. But the screen is wider...

Okay, so we could do this. Draw backgrounds at 1000 pixels by 320 pixels in paint, import them. The screen is not quite 320 pixels wide. So we could scroll twice through each 1000 pixel-long terrain picture - once showing the left half, once showing the right half. There'd be some overlap, but it wouldn't be obvious. That gives you a 2000 pixel long picture to draw during flying stages. If it moves at just shy of Vy = 0.25, that's enough for a two or three minute flying stage, I believe. Bosses can cylce through a smaller portion of the same map.

Alright, so now off to draw the backgrounds. Anyone know of a program that would be better for this than MS Paint? I've got photoshop, not sure if that's a good idea here..

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.21%

Nevermind, I'll draw them myself.

If one sets aside 100 tile pages for backgrounds... lets see.... two corridors per zone, except for Capricorn, means 18 corridors. Plus one for the initial spaceflight in... and another for the last spaceflight out... and one more for a bonus corridor in Capricorn.. so I have 21 total corridors needed. Splitting 100 tile pages 21 ways means a little less than 5 pages per screen. But the screen is wider...
    I am adept at quick recoloring and ripping...but not drawing. If you look at the Megaman tiles, You'll see I recolored everything to fit the compressed pallete structure....which I really need to finish tweaking the colors....ahem, but I suck at creating new ones. It's for the best.

Also 100 pages seems plenty. If you scroll at 1 tile every 2 seconds, that's 5 pages at about 44 seconds. Or what I had, about every 4 seconds, that's about a minute and a half. That's a descent loop right there.

But if you took layer 1 and layer 0 and overlapped them, you could get a much larger loop.

&&
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.74%

If you look at the Megaman tiles, You'll see I recolored everything to fit the compressed pallete structure....which I really need to finish tweaking the colors....ahem, but I suck at creating new ones. It's for the best.
    Which was foolish.
    Why did you do that?

I spent quite a while un-doing it and making level palettes.

It's better to have more colours than compromised tiles...

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.21%

Quote Originally Posted by Joe123 View Post
    Which was foolish.
    Why did you do that?

I spent quite a while un-doing it and making level palettes.

It's better to have more colours than compromised tiles...
    Did you happen to see what a mess it was before hmm? You can't complain about that, seriously, it has to be one of the easiest pallette/cset structures to work with out of any tileset in zc tileset history.

Thread Information