Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.16%

[Winter 08] DoR Desert Tilepack

I'm the first person to post in all three topics, woo!

Anyway, DoR doesn't have too many desert tiles, so I compiled a little pack that people can use with the tileset to add a bit more interest to those desert screens.

Credits:
    Radien
    • Seiken Densetsu 3 Sand Tiles
    • Seiken Densetsu 3 Sand-Dirt Borders
    • Seiken Densetsu 3 Sand-Grass Borders
    • Sand Troughs
    • Edited Gale Tree
    • Edited aLttP Cactus and other cactus
    • Edited GB Bones
    • Edited aLttP Bones
    • Edited LA small curly plant thing tiles
    Migokalle
    • Sand Mountain Tiles
    • Slopes and Ladders for Sand Mountain
    CastChaos
    • Large aLttP Cactus
    Sharon Daniel
    • Boulder
    Joe123
    • Edits to Sand Mountain tiles
    • Sandy aLttP Mountain base tiles
    • Sandy Boulder tiles
    • Sandy Gale Tree base tiles
    • Edited Mystery tree, now with sandy base tiles
    • SD3 Desert plant rips with shadows and whatnot
    • Large aLttP Edited Cactus

EDIT: Oh yeah, I think Migokalle and Sharon Daniel are (was) PureZC only members, if anyone's wondering.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.48%

Re: DoR Desert Tilepack

*mouth waters*

Wow. I didn't plan on having a desert in my next quest, but those tiles make me want to add one! Maybe just a side area...

Great job!
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    5.62%

I don't use the DoR set myself (or, at least, not yet.) but these are really well-done! Nice job on these!
    -This signature lacks something interesting.-

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.17%

I've said this before and I'll say it again, wonderful job!
    Play The Darkness Within, my newest ZC Quest! Download here:
    http://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=quests&id=374

Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    70.1%

Note: "You" is used in the following criticism as a collective of the creators of the tile sheet, as I am too lazy to name them all off every time.

Meh, the boulder looks too puffy for my taste, it's the highlights and circular gradients on every last "face" of the boulder that does it. It looks a bit more like a giant Marshmallow that someone left out in the desert too long more than it looks like a boulder.

The greens are also quite nasty looking. I know it's suppossed to be a desert and it's not exactly suppossed to be lush, but the green is more of a yellowy barf green than a faded green. A palette edit could fix this on my end, but still. A tile sheet should be perfectly usable "Out of the box"

Quite a few of the SD3 rips are quite off on the colors. The most obvious example is that those rocks were originally gray, not the same brown as the sand colors. And look what you did to the ferns, you raped them. D:

I also REALLY despise the Sand mounds. You can't even really use them as proper mountains. The fronts of them also don't seem to have any real depth and the sides make it look like it's made out of cardboard more than anything. Why couldn't the Desert mountain set from SD3 be used? They only use 5 grays, a simple palette edit could make them look just fine and they would match the look of the SD3 sand much better as well.

And the SD3 Sand is already in DoR, so aside from the mounds (Which I don't like), the boulder (which I also don't like), and the Cacti (which I didn't mention before, but the edits look really off. The depth isn't right), all it really is is just some tiles already in the SD3 that are layered over the SD3 sand, and maybe a new palette (That palette MAY be in the DoR tileset by default, I'm too lazy to check). All and all, just taking some tiles and layering them over the SD3 sand doesn't impress me too much.

Then again, I'm doing this from my own perspective of how I can use the tiles, so take it with a grain of salt as I set impossible standards for everything.

Given the tilepack from an outside view that does not have such high standsads, good job, I guess.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.45%

The sand mounds can be used as ''proper mountains''.
    They're just hard to use for someone...

But thank you for the critisism... While I love em the way they are now, I will try and see what I can do with them... Thanks!
    And Joe123... I've told you before: Ilove this pack... And I'll use em too!
    I'm sorry, but I really don't understand your question. I mean I think your grammar is fine, but it's the terminology you're using. They don't fit together, like, "Use the sheep on the log and eat the barn with the house sun."----Shadowtiger----

Wind Waker 2 is canceled on my side... thank god...
    Now, if Amaster42 for some weird reason wants to finish it, ''have fun'' cause I sure as **** won't...

&&
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.16%

Meh, the boulder looks too puffy for my taste, it's the highlights and circular gradients on every last "face" of the boulder that does it. It looks a bit more like a giant Marshmallow that someone left out in the desert too long more than it looks like a boulder.
    I love the boulder, can't get enough of it personally

The greens are also quite nasty looking. I know it's suppossed to be a desert and it's not exactly suppossed to be lush, but the green is more of a yellowy barf green than a faded green. A palette edit could fix this on my end, but still. A tile sheet should be perfectly usable "Out of the box"
    Yeah, this is the desert palette straight from DoR.
    I had actually edited the greens already in my quest, they don't look great here.

Quite a few of the SD3 rips are quite off on the colors. The most obvious example is that those rocks were originally gray, not the same brown as the sand colors.
    Which rocks?
    There's no rocks from SD3 here...

Well, at least, I'm under the impression that Radien drew the DoR Dirt tiles anyway...

Then again, I'm doing this from my own perspective of how I can use the tiles, so take it with a grain of salt as I set impossible standards for everything.
    Fair enough, no-one said you had to use it.

a.k.a. Zephlon Arphanosh Mega Link's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    70.7%

Just recolor it with white and light blue. It makes a good cloud.

Thread Information