User Tag List

Thread: [Winter 08] The Legend of Zelda: The Sacred Mission

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Brahman

Cool [Winter 08] The Legend of Zelda: The Sacred Mission

I've been using Zelda Classic for some years now (since at least 2002), but I've never finished working on a game...This is probably due to the fact that I've been in college and, after that, been in graduate school doing research and teaching.

Still, now I'm working on a new project with the program called "The Legend of Zelda: The Sacred Mission." I started working on it late last year (2007) and I'm using graphics from "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past."

The story is as such (as taken from my Read Me):

"A century has passed since the defeat of Agahnim and Ganondorf at the hands of the Hero of Legends and although he tried to return while the Hero was away on his journey of self-fulfillment, the Hero of Light (a mysterious youth from another world) used the words of the Ancient Stone Tablets to learn Ganon's weakness and send him back into the netherrealm. The Kingdom of Hyrule and the surrounding lands have been peaceful ever since. However, strange monsters have begun to appear near Farore's Village in South Hyrule. The village elder sends a young man to visit Sahashrala II, descendent of the Great Sage, in the Eastern Temple, equipped with the "Hero's Sword," in order to discover the source of these strange happenings. The sage does not know the ultimate root of the evil, but suggests that they turn once again to the words of the Ancient Stone Tablets, which foretold of the return of evil upon their realm. He instructs the youth to travel to the nearby Glade Temple and seek out a fragment of a lost power, the Triforce of Wisdom, which had been broken up to ensure that the clutches of evil would no longer be able to get their hands on it. So, once again, a hero embarks on a quest of mystery and danger. What awaits him? That is for you to find out!"

As this is the first release of the game and I was a bit reluctant at first to release it, I'm sure there are some bugs in it (in fact, I know they are, although I don't think there are any that are game-ending). Also, there are some graphics that will be polished and what not before the final release.

All-in-all, I would say that the game is about 35% complete at this time.

Through the link that I will post below, you can download a .ZIP file that contains the .QST file, a Read Me (worth reading, especially since it tells you all the items you can get, how many Hearts and Heart Pieces you can get, etc.), and a current overworld map.

The game can be downloaded from:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1R4W0Y7N

Below you will find images from the game, including a map of Hyrule and surrounding areas at this point (sorry, it won't let me directly insert images):

I hope you enjoy this game and I'd like any feedback you all can provide!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.59%

Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Sacred Mission

It looks very good, Brahman. The only thing I can suggest is to perhaps use the tiles in the tileset that will allow you polish the screens up.

For example, I think that the tileset has corner tiles that will allow the water border directly to the NW and NE of Link match up (actually, they don't exist in the original Pure Tileset, so they may not in this tileset...).

In this one, there should be proper mountain tiles for the NE part of the cliff.

Otherwise, the screens are very pleasing to look at. The Upper Zora's River area looks very cool.
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

Brahman
    Thanks for the feedback, Pineconn!

As for polishing up the graphics, I know what you mean. In fact, I have tiles that will let me polish up the corners and fix the water corners and whatnot. In fact, I've done so with most areas beyond the first few maps or so of the game (you will probably notice that some screenshots have better looking water/cliffs than others if they are in the pictures). This being said, there are some areas that I have gone back and fixed (such as the "Hero's Grave" where you get the Level 1 Sword), and others that have yet to be updated (the first village, where that graveyard pic is from). Sometime between now and the final release I'll sit down and update those areas so that they "groove" better with the rest of the game.

As an addendum to this...You can also get the "Sword Slash," the "Flippers," and the Big Wallet (lets you hold 500) in this demo. There are two areas that will let Link enter them, but nothing will happen (I didn't bother removing the entrances for the Demo, so just keep these in mind). One is the entrance to Hyrule Castle (the Castle itself, which can be found inside Castle Town) and the other is the stairway on the far left of the Upper Zora River (this will later lead to Eastern Death Mountain). I just thought you all might want to know this for when you play the game.

Also, the "MegaUpload" link above requires you to enter a verification code (to prove you aren't a SpamBot) and to wait 30 seconds to download the Demo. The link below should let you directly download the .ZIP file:

http://www.2shared.com/download/2808...81942-e0846259

If it doesn't directly load, try copying the full text of the link into your browser.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.29%

Hm, I see some errors in tile usage, but overall, it sounds awesome!
    Play The Darkness Within, my newest ZC Quest! Download here:
    http://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=quests&id=374

Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

Brahman

Yeah, Pineconn pointed out some that needed to be fixed and I went back last night and fixed most of them (which will appear in a second release if I do one before the final version).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.97%

I dont mind the screens just the error in tile usage, you are not putting that much detail in your screens, and the mountains dont exactly.... Well you get the idea.

Thread Information