Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.48%

Re: The First Sign of the Apocalypse is Here

I'm just saying, even though Duke Nukem 3D will forever be remembered for gratuitous violence and strippers, it was actually an innovative game at the time. The engine was one of the most advanced out there until Quake was released, and one of its notable features was the interactive environments, which was definitely a big deal at the time. And there was the Build level editor, which I've never used but I understand it was really much more intuitive and easy to use than most FPS level editors at the time.

Plus, back when DNF was first announced, it, too, promised major innovations, such as drivable vehicles and destructible environments, that weren't a staple of the genre at the time. I know that the humor of the game is one of its major drawing points, but I'm just kinda curious about the fact that it no longer has the edge on innovation.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.07%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    I'm just saying, even though Duke Nukem 3D will forever be remembered for gratuitous violence and strippers, it was actually an innovative game at the time. The engine was one of the most advanced out there until Quake was released, and one of its notable features was the interactive environments, which was definitely a big deal at the time. And there was the Build level editor, which I've never used but I understand it was really much more intuitive and easy to use than most FPS level editors at the time.

Plus, back when DNF was first announced, it, too, promised major innovations, such as drivable vehicles and destructible environments, that weren't a staple of the genre at the time. I know that the humor of the game is one of its major drawing points, but I'm just kinda curious about the fact that it no longer has the edge on innovation.
    Ya never know. It's been 10 years - they could have come up with SOMETHING

But I still don't think it needs to be super innovative (though it shouldn't be mundane either.. at least use the latest innovations from other games to the betterment of this one). The appeal of the franchise has always been its style.

In any case, Halo was never really innovative, but it's popular for some reason

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.48%

Eh, that's my problem, I can't come up with anything, gameplay-wise, that DNF could possibly do that hasn't been done to death already. Hey, maybe if they tone up the gore. You don't see too much of guts and giblets these days - that's actually one of the things I miss about old-school FPS games - you had games like Duke Nukem and Blood and Rise of the Triad where half the fun was having creative ways to splatter your enemies' guts all over the room. Heck, even Doom had enemies turning inside out with a hit from your rocket launcher or BFG, and the bigger enemies always had gory deaths. Now everything's all ragdoll physics - don't get me wrong, I love watching corpses do backflips when hit with rockets, but damnit, sometimes I want to see a spray of bloody chunks.

Oh, and don't get me started on Halo - the reason it sold so well was that it was one of the first halfway decent modern FPS games to come out for consoles. Other than that, it's one of the most bland games I've ever played.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.18%

Seriously, who cares about Duke Nukem anymore? I was a fan of Duke Nukem 3D, and I don't even care. With all the huge, high profile, innovative shooters out nowadays, I really don't think it even has a chance. All the one liners and grade school humor in the world can't help Duke.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.45%

Well regardless, I'm looking forward to this. Was a big fan of Duke3D, and hope this promises to be just as good.
    "If anybody says him/her/it without defining what they're talking about, the conversation is automatically about my p.e.n.i.s. :-D" - Wild Bill
    "Design ideas come to me during fetid fits of masturbation." - C-Dawg
    "I want to give NoeL a blowjob! ^_^" - Peteo
    "The magic boob should be mine any minute!" - Koopa
    "Suicide is the most sincere form of self-criticism" - My Film Professor

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    45.34%

I made a couple maps for Blood. I wouldn't touch that editor with a 10ft pole now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.07%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

hahahaha

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.84%

You guys forgot to mention Jack Thompson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    90.32%

I would've expected Duke to be too hardcore for concentration curls. Oh well, the sound bites alone should make this game worthwhile.
    ...we'd appreciate it if one or both legs were removable so that we could spin you around like a basketball perched on the end of Koby Bryant's middle finger. - T.C. Luoma

My john thomas is gonna pop off and fly around the room there's so much tasty in here! - Jayne

Freedom of Speach? US vs China

Dattebayo

Thread Information