Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.22%

Re: Super Mario Galaxy = God

See, to me, TP was the worst 3D Zelda, due to the feeling of not having much freedom at all (nothing to really explore, no choice in how to reach goals, etc.)
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    59.1%

Trust me, once you experience the whole "planetoid" thing, you won't be doubting it anymore. It feels so right. There are plenty of huge planets as well.

I think SMG having less story is a good thing. It seems to me that games like Super Mario are meant to be about fun and about innovation/creativity. I feel like developers feel pressure from critics and the gaming media to fabricate and develop storylines. In my opinion, there are certain games, and especially franchises that function better without complex, intricate storylines. The stories can bog these games down, leading to monotony in level design, (See SMS), as well as other examples with cheesy characters and voice work (Modern Sonic Games). For me, Mario games have always been about pick up and play mentality. This game (SMG) seems to fit that bill perfectly.

Now it is beyond me why reviewers have given negative points to this game because it lacks a developed story (or so they say).

Its funny that this thread is already expanding into other Nintendo franchises. (That being said, the only 3D Zelda I truly loved was OOT)
    4/8. Currently Playing:
    • Final Fantasy X - HD Remaster (PS3)
    • FIFA 14 (360)
    • South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3)
    • MLB The Show 14 (PS3)
    • Terranigma (SNES)

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.94%

Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    See, to me, TP was the worst 3D Zelda, due to the feeling of not having much freedom at all (nothing to really explore, no choice in how to reach goals, etc.)
    That is because it was really made just to show what the Nintendi Wii was capable of. It just combined good levels, good storyline, and good controls. They just didn't bother putting freedom of how to beat the game into the formula. BTW post 500!
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    59.1%

Quote Originally Posted by russadwan View Post
    That is because it was really made just to show what the Nintendi Wii was capable of. It just combined good levels, good storyline, and good controls. They just didn't bother putting freedom of how to beat the game into the formula.
    Agreed. I also feel like it also lacked artistic completion. In other words, like OOT and MM, the world feels bland and empty. (Like most 3D games of any kind) The gameplay is great in TP, but as ironic as this is, I much prefer the artistic style of Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass. I feel like these games are much more of a spiritual successor in terms of presentation and environment to the older Zelda games than OOT, MM or TP were. In TP I feel like so much of the world is useless and is just there, in older Zelda games, you felt like every screen, every tree, every rock could hide something. I also feel like the world just isn't as vibrant and colorful as a Zelda game should be. If we could just get Wind Waker's artistic intensity with TP's more traditional gameplay and overworld, mixed with ALTTP/LA/LOZ etc's open-ended gameplay, I would be very happy.

EDIT: Heres three different video reviews of SMG if you care to take a look:
    http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/200...-mario-galaxy/
    4/8. Currently Playing:
    • Final Fantasy X - HD Remaster (PS3)
    • FIFA 14 (360)
    • South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3)
    • MLB The Show 14 (PS3)
    • Terranigma (SNES)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.94%

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    I'm glad I was not the only one disappointed with NSMB. Everyone seems to love it like crazy.
    You're not alone. I didn't like it either. I borrowed it from a friend and played it for about an hour and was just really bored. For once I'm glad I didn't go out and buy it a game right away.

Ditto on what mattwdr said about WW and TP etc.

I'm excited for Mario Galaxy. I had a feeling it was going to ge good, but the reviews so far have been crazy. I can't wait.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.07%

Post Re: Super Mario Galaxy = God

Quote Originally Posted by russadwan View Post
    That is because it was really made just to show what the Nintendi Wii was capable of. It just combined good levels, good storyline, and good controls. They just didn't bother putting freedom of how to beat the game into the formula. BTW post 500!
    uh it was designed for the gamecube and ported to the wii. how can it show off what the wii is capable of if it wasnt designed for the wii?
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.54%

Mario Galaxy was designed for the gamecube..?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.07%

i cant nest the quotes so refer to the actual post i quoted.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.84%

Spoiler: show
    Defeating Bowser with an arse dive will make Miyamoto come to your house and tend to your garden.

I've played the SMG demo at GameStop, and it seems like it'll be the definitive games of 2007. My cousin pre-ordered it, but I'll probably end up being the one to play it. Sounds like a win-win for me, he buys it, I play it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.6%

I felt like TP's dungeons lacked inspiration in their design. There was just something about them that felt bland and monotonous. I think it may simply be the fact that we've had 3d Zeldas for several games now and their dungeons tend to follow a similar formula: get keys, get the treasure, use the treasure to get the boss key, go to the boss, use the treasure to defeat the boss.

Thread Information