vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.29%

The Ethics of Erasing a Bad Memory

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...0.html?cnn=yes

-----

Quoting any part of the article without the rest of it would take away from the article as a whole.

This article touched me... in ways that I can't honestly put into words. I can understand the viewpoint of the patient as she was going into this procedure. But I can also see the viewpoint of the nurses... why the anesthesiologist did what he did at that specific moment in time... and especially the doctors inner dilemma with himself.

I hope the doctor comes to terms with himself for what happened during the procedure with this patient. At the time he did what he thought was best for that patient.

If the patient was me... I'd hope that exactly what happened then... would happen for me.

I've had the c-word (cancer) scare.
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Karate guys for cash. Aegix Drakan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.15%

Re: The Ethics of Erasing a Bad Memory

...I can't fault the Doc in this case. I'd have probably done the same thing.

Being under surgery, and hearing a professional say (more or less) over the intercom "YOU HAVE CANCER" is the worst way to find out. And if it had been a false alarm, she would have suffered severe mental trauma over nothing.

Although I think toying with memories in such a way is morally wrong, I think that in some cases, it's acceptable, and sometimes even the only right thing to do.

If I were in that woman's place, I'd have wanted that memory wiped too.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    AGN is not meant for people who have lives. Come back home, turn the lights off and stare in awe at the glow that comes from the monitor.
    Do you enjoy challenging RPGs? Do you enjoy dark storylines? You'll like my game. Go on, it's not very long.
    You can download my game for free right here!
    Feedback on it would be nice. It'll help with future projects.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.29%

She died not knowing the full story of what happened... that's the dilemma for the doctor. He never told her.

And ultimately there's probably just as many people in the world that would say they'd want to know as there is those that would say they'd not want to be told.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.9%

i don't think he did anything unethical, and i don't believe the woman suffered any ill effects from the decisions made by the two doctors. i found out the hard way that those medications don't always work the same way in every person. being in the operating room, during surgery, and hearing "oh my god, she's awake" is not a good feeling. granted, i was back out very quickly thanks to a quick anesthesiologist, but they were not only suprised i woke up, they were stunned that i remembered being awake, and could quote entire sentences of the conversations they were having.
    trust me...coming from someone who's heard something unnerving in an operating room...we want to be asleep. we want to be oblivious and not even know about the mistakes that happened. it doesn't do much for your well being to have that memory. i'd much prefer to not have to keep those memories (it's happened to me more than once) in my consciousness.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.29%

I was supposed to be "mostly unconscious" when they did my spinal injection (inserting a LONG needle up along on my spinal cord so they could inject the stuff they were injecting... into a specific bundle of nerves.

I wasn't unconscious... I was awake. And I could feel the initial prick of the needle and it's threading along my spine. Plus I could hear all the comments being said and I kept trying to tell them I could feel it all... they ignored me.

I'd have rather been unconscious.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.77%

Wether or not she suffered any ill effects isn't the point. If it were me, I would not want the doctor to do that, and wether their intentions are good or not, I don't want doctors arbitrarily deciding what we should and shouldn't remember about experiences involving them.

His intentions may have been good, but he still crossed a line that should not have been crossed.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.29%

Anarchy... now see I have to disagree with you *ONLY* because she heard *while* the procedure was being done. That ain't a good place or time for her to freak out. She was hooked up to all kinds of machines (I'm sure)... wires everywhere... so they needed her to stay calm, cool and collected... AND unconscious (so to speak).

<just my two cents>

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.77%

I understand that, but they could have explained that to her and asked. If it's explained to me that I'm way too hyper and the only way I can survive is to accept that "milk of amnesia" then fine, I'd accept it(for the record though, I would not wanna be conscious during surgery either). I'm not saying I don't understand why it was done, because I do, but it is still bad to cross that line, even when it seems right to.

Schrodinger's roomate. He killed my cat! Maybe.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    87.31%

Here's the thing though, both sides of this debate are correct in their own ways. Everyone I think can agree that hearing about the cancer like that over the intercom is not a good way to go about discovering you indeed have cancer.

Now for the main debate. Should the knock out drug been used like it was? Well now, that's the question isn't it? Before we look at that in detail, we have to realize this. They had a split second to decide whether or not to use that or not to use that. We have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. The decision was made in probably less than a second and the person that made it has to live with it forever.

Erasing the memory spared the woman the trauma of discovering she had cancer is such a shocking and scary way. However, it came at the cost of perhaps unethically violating her personal memories. But, what if they had decided they couldn't do that because it was in fact unethical for them and the woman suffered psychological problems from this that could have complicated the treatment for her cancer? In that situation would the doctor then feel bad because he could have spared her that memory and thus the problems that went with it? It's hard to say, and really I don't think it can be satisfactorily answered.

What about the doctor never telling her? Again, I think it's the same thing. Did not knowing hurt her, and would have knowing hurt her? The doctor knew that she didn't have long left to live and I think he wanted to spare her any and all unnecessary pains. I'd just like the say in conclusion though, that we can't know what would have happened had the doctor made different decisions. This is one of those ethical questions that has no real clear answer.
    Trevelyan
    Version 2.4

Winner of the Teh Winnar! award in the first writing contest.

There ain't no party like my nanna's tea party!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.77%

You have a point about the psychological problems, however, if the situation was pointed out to her, and she was asked if she wanted to receive the treatment, but refused, at least it could be said to be her own fault(partially, the guy on the intercom was at fault too). They did have more than a split second to make the decision too, remember that it erases your last few "minutes" not your last few seconds.

Thread Information