Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.54%

Re: The Story of the Woman With No Authority

Oh the tyranny of attending a private Christian college as an atheist!

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Marsden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.5%

Fat ladies are always funny!

Forcing you to attend church as part of your education is a stupid idea and I support you all the way in your Final Fantasy-ing. Seriously, it's like trying to force your beliefs onto someone else, and you wouldn't do that individually, so what makes Baylor think that doing it in great big groups makes it alright?
    AGN's resident Doctor Who, Star Wars and Torchwood fan

Current life projects: Survive job, stay awake, write stuff, find new job. Not in that order.

Hey, I do online reviews now! Check out my site to see the latest videos.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.67%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Baylor is run by tribal mystics. My reasons for going here for school are logical, it's completely out of my hands that the administration is intellectually bankrupt.

It's probably the most obnoxious place I could have chosen for school, but it was convenient at the time and I'm getting a rather good education, so whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.54%

Eh I could troll but why bother.

Seriously requiring chapel is pretty dumb but didn't you say Baylor was a big theological college? I'm not really sure but I swear you said that one time.

It better not be one of those hippy non-denominational services either. If it is, you seriously ought to prepare some kind of argument that there are allegorical themes in video games because I am almost certain you could convince someone to let you give a sermon.

Then you could do whatever but I suggest demonstrating what happens when you mix cesium with the holy water.

*edit* also the lady is dumb unless there's some serious campus policy that you must pay attention in the service she needs to lighten up some. I believe if Jesus were in there he'd probably give you a stern look but thank you afterwards for at least keeping the volume down. Then you guys could form a rock band! Normally band names that are too long fail but I'm thinking "Beldaran and his Mystical Pal who May Not Even Exist" would do.

Seriously though have fun fighting the system; best-case scenario she gets frustrated and gives up, worst-case scenario she manages to identify you and suddenly there are problems with all your campus paperwork. It's not really a religion thing either, I complained to housing about a lot of stuff wrong with my room for my first semesters and kept getting successively crappier rooms; the last few semesters I just dealt with it and only called them to ask when to send money and my last dorm room was in the best dorm short of the slightly-less-than-condo new dorms they built for rich kids.

I mean I guess what I'm trying to say it's not their fault you made a choice for which I am unable to choose a suitable analogy. I'm thinking just one day it'd be cool to see that the statement p -> q where p is "Person is an atheist" and q is "Person is a jerk with superiority complex" doesn't hold, but so far it seems to me that an air of superiority is a defining characteristic of atheism. Which is odd because "holier-than-thou" is an analogous characteristic of Christians that drives people to atheism.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.67%

Quote Originally Posted by AtmaWeapon View Post
    I mean I guess what I'm trying to say it's not their fault you made a choice for which I am unable to choose a suitable analogy. I'm thinking just one day it'd be cool to see that the statement p -> q where p is "Person is an atheist" and q is "Person is a jerk with superiority complex" doesn't hold, but so far it seems to me that an air of superiority is a defining characteristic of atheism. Which is odd because "holier-than-thou" is an analogous characteristic of Christians that drives people to atheism.
    I don't think I'm better than religious people. I just think religious people are diseased with a corrupt and evil doctrine of anti-intellectualism and the world would be better off if none of them existed. It's not "holier-than-thou", it's "lucky to not be stupid enough to consider myself holy".

You know what's arrogant? Thinking the creator of the universe has a personal interest in you and has communicated to you personally all the secrets to moral living and that anyone with a different opinion is wrong. That's fucking arrogant. So you can blow it out your mystical ass that I am the arrogant one.

Don't mistake my contempt for religion for arrogance. It's just plain old contempt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.52%

Bel, this thread was fine without out your opinion on religion, did you really have to force it to go down this road?
    invincible - "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink."

Elihu Burritt - "Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence."

2008 Record (final): 84-78: NL West Champs

Glenn the Great

Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Bel, this thread was fine without out your opinion on religion, did you really have to force it to go down this road?
    Beldaran is my hero because he wields the amazing power to literally force topics to go down the road of his choosing. I'm not sure I've ever come across anyone else with that ability.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.67%

I'm pretty sure Atma started it with his highly scientific notion that "all atheists are jerks".:googly:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.52%

I'm pretty sure that you didn't incite him when you called it a "primitive ritual."

You could make a case for not starting it; I didn't respond even though I didn't like it, but you're not completely blameless.
    invincible - "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink."

Elihu Burritt - "Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence."

2008 Record (final): 84-78: NL West Champs

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.67%

Worshiping god is a primitive ritual. It was invented by primitive people, tens of thousands of years ago when they thought the sun was a magic being that walked across the ceiling of a giant magical dome everyone lived in. Religion was born of total ignorance, and it continues to give ignorance a place to call home.

Thread Information