0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.67%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

The Story of the Woman With No Authority

So Baylor requires all students to spend 2 semesters in what they call "Chapel". It is a one hour long, twice a week, very stupid church service. I find it offensive and ridiculous that I am required to experience the propaganda of the local mystics, so I protest by blatantly playing my gameboy during the whole "service".

So today this fat idiotic lady comes up to me during church and says, "Would you please put that away?" I smile and inform her, "No." And I go back to playing Final Fantasy IV Advance. She then says, "Excuse me..." to which I do not respond because I find her irritating. She tries to get my attention several more times, before I find that she is making my game less enjoyable, so I turn around and say, "Is this against the rules? Will I be forced to not only be here, but to pay attention as well?"

Her: "On the first day of chapel, they explained that you must pay attention."

Me: "Oh, well I had my ear plugs in on the first day, and I was taking a nap so I didn't hear that." [I go back to playing Final Fantasy. She is starting to get angry.]

Her: "What's your name?"

Me: "I am not required to tell you my name."

Her: [getting more angry] "Do you want me to call campus police?"

Me: "Do you want to call campus police and tell them that someone is playing gameboy in church? I might go with you because that would be funny."

Her: "We can take that away from you, you know."

Me: "I suppose if a couple of your staff held me down and stole it you could, but legally you cannot. You are not a police officer, and I am not breaking a law. This is not a class and you are not a teacher. It is a religious event that I am forced to be at."

Her: "Tell me your name."

I say nothing. I go back to playing gameboy. She storms off. I can see that she is waiting by the entrance to get me after the service so I can't scan my student ID and be marked present, so I wait until it is really crowded and chaotic and I leave through another door.

She figured I would be one of those 18 year old freshman, all scared and intimidated by either her weight or her authority (or both), but really I am a 25 year old computer programmer who is too old and too experienced to be intimidated by someone with more bark than bite. I can smell a lack of authority from a mile away, so she can kiss my heathen, godless butt.

Schrodinger's roomate. He killed my cat! Maybe.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    86.67%

Re: The Story of the Woman With No Authority

That's ridiculous. From you saying that you were using earplugs I don't see how you are disturbing anyone else, so why does she give a fuck? You don't want to be there, it's shit that you have to be, but you made the best of it by simply ignoring everything instead of causes an disturbance during the service.

I can tell that this lady would cry foul and cause all sorts of problems in class if she were forced to attend an atheist event. I hate Christians people that think it's okay to force their views on others because it's Christianity.
    Trevelyan
    Version 2.4

Winner of the Teh Winnar! award in the first writing contest.

There ain't no party like my nanna's tea party!

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.99%

Heck Bel... ya shoulda called the campus police for her <lol>. Just because you're forced to attend something doesn't mean you have to pay attention.

And the ONLY reason I could see that she'd have a valid reason to complain would be IF you had the gameboy sounds played way up loud (or even audible at all). You can play it with headphones on right?

Edit: ok you did say you were wearing headphones... sorry :) She had no business bothering you!
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.67%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

the sounds were completely off, and the gameboy itself was held inside of my backpack so the light wouldn't disturb anyone. She just wanted to force me to observe her primitive ritual and I refused because I'm paying to be there and I know she has no power because she's getting paid $6 an hour to walk around and pretend to be useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.67%

Oh man, a gameboy would have made my years of church going bearable. As of right now, when I'm forced to go I just look around for hot catholic girls.

Anyway, you're forced to go to church by your college? Wow, that would really piss me off. Any hot girls?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.06%

Yeah, I endured my years of church by imagining I had superpowers.

Seriously, though, you have my respect. I'd never have the nerve to stand up like that.(But then I'm a total coward, so...)
    Funny story though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.52%

Wasn't she causing more of a disturbance than you playing Game Boy? Doesn't she realize that she's in a college and that petty stuff doesn't matter? Some people . . .
    invincible - "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink."

Elihu Burritt - "Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence."

2008 Record (final): 84-78: NL West Champs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.06%

The fact that an institute of learning is forcing people to attend religious services is damn near the most retarded thing I've ever heard of.
    Proud sponsor of the Oh, God of hangovers.

Karate guys for cash. Aegix Drakan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.81%

? You are required by your college to attend a religious service? I'v enever heard of that before...

Well, If you don't want to be there (especially if it's not your system of beliefs), but you're forced to attend, then I guess as long as you don't disturb anyone, you can do other stuff to pass the time. Which brings me to my next point:
    Quote Originally Posted by Beldaran View Post
    the sounds were completely off, and the gameboy itself was held inside of my backpack so the light wouldn't disturb anyone. She just wanted to force me to observe her primitive ritual and I refused
    0_o Then how the heck did she manage to catch you?

Well, I can't fault you for what you were doing, but...>_> maybe you could have really been more discreet, and said something along the lines of "It's not my faith, I'm only here because the college requires me to be here." More polite + it would possibly get her off your back easier and more effectively.

>_> and am I the only person in this topic who actually enjoys attending church? (whenever I'm not busy at all, which is like, once every four months)
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    AGN is not meant for people who have lives. Come back home, turn the lights off and stare in awe at the glow that comes from the monitor.
    Do you enjoy challenging RPGs? Do you enjoy dark storylines? You'll like my game. Go on, it's not very long.
    You can download my game for free right here!
    Feedback on it would be nice. It'll help with future projects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    91.67%

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragoonX View Post
    The fact that an institute of learning is forcing people to attend religious services is damn near the most retarded thing I've ever heard of.
    Yeah I don't get that either but the fat lady was funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtmaWeapon View Post
    It means taking the fart pipe off of your stupid ricemobile and gently accelerating after stopping.

Thread Information