User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Commentary: Where is the outrage when humans are abused?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.54%

Re: Commentary: Where is the outrage when humans are abused?

Even if they are just "food" as you put it, it does not give us the right to torture them any more so than we can do to humans.

Of course people will not get outraged if they don't even know about the thing that they would be outraged about.
    invincible - "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink."

Elihu Burritt - "Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence."

2008 Record (final): 84-78: NL West Champs

Glenn the Great

Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Even if they are just "food" as you put it, it does not give us the right to torture them any more so than we can do to humans.

Am I completely unable to do anything unless I am "given" a "right" to do it? How do I know I haven't "received" such a "right"?

Please tell me where all of my rights are listed. I can't remember anyone ever giving me the right to turn off the lights in my room, or throw the rock that I threw when I went outside, or all of the other things I did today. I'm really worried that maybe I didn't have the right to do these things! Maybe I should say some prayers about it and ask forgiveness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.54%

Just because it's not listed as a right that you shouldn't kill people doesn't mean that you do it. Some things are inherent, anything that causes pain should not be done. This has nothing to do with religion which you seem to want to bring up for no good reason.
    invincible - "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink."

Elihu Burritt - "Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence."

Glenn the Great

Animals aren't people though, and they don't really feel pain like we do. They don't have souls.

Maybe you should stop hurting plants. They are living things too, you know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.54%

Animals have nerves, they whimper, they feel pain. You go to get a pig for Christmas like I have and you tell me that those screams aren't from pain.

Plants don't feel pain, what are you thinking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    91.7%

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn the Great View Post
    See, isn't this exactly what I was trying to tell you guys back in the last dogfighting thread? About society getting to where we care about animals more than humans?

All I can say is that this mentality, whether media transmitted or otherwise, has not touched me. In my mind, animals are food, like they have been since ancient times.
    Yeah.....

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn the Great View Post
    Animals aren't people though, and they don't really feel pain like we do. They don't have souls.

Maybe you should stop hurting plants. They are living things too, you know.
    Until you can pull some proof out of your ass that animals can't feel pain then you're full of shit as usual.

My dog felt pain when she slipped on the tile and was limping this morning. My horse felt pain last week when the sharp end of a stick gave him a nice gash on his side. If you kick an animal and they scream why are they screaming if it isn't from pain?

It's a losing battle so you're better off just giving up and admitting you are wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtmaWeapon View Post
    It means taking the fart pipe off of your stupid ricemobile and gently accelerating after stopping.

Glenn the Great

Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Plants don't feel pain, what are you thinking?
    Didn't FernGully teach you anything? Sheesh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.56%

Actually biggy, though sometimes your words just hypnotize me I think you are in error. Glenn said that animals don't feel pain like we do. While the meaning of the phrase "like we do" is ambiguous, I took it to have the meaning "Animals do not feel pain in the same manner as humans" rather than "Animals do not feel pain at all; humans do feel pain". I agree with the former.

While your dog obviously feels pain due to the injuries she received because you let her on a slippery floor, and the animals you kick scream out in pain, animals manage to view pain temporarily and odds are good that in a week or so your dog will be perfectly fine and the animals you kicked will be getting on with their lives. Humans have this weird tendency to wallow in misery and extend the duration of negative feelings; a twisted ankle from a slippery floor at Wal-Mart is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to a single mother who was there to cash her food stamps for beer and the settlement from assault charges if you kicked a man in his face would no doubt cause you more lingering pain and suffering than his injury did.

Yet still, we identify more strongly with the pain of animals, who seem to be fine with the concept of "I don't hurt now therefore I am fine", than with humans, who seem to be completely unaware that pain can cease.

I suppose a valid attack on my stance is that repeated pain can permanently affect an animal. For example, if your dog slips enough on the floor it will be harder to get her to walk on that floor, and the animals you are kicking might start to get agitated by your presence. It can be argued that this kind of learned response is present in almost every organism, which can lead one to believe either it is unrelated to intelligence/sentience or our definition of intelligence/sentience needs revising.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    91.7%

I will agree with you to an extent about animals forgetting the pain faster than humans will. How we do know what type of pain animals feel though? The have organs, a brain, blood vessels, etc.. so they are built like humans in a sense but do we know how an animal thinks or views pain?

Oh and I didn't plan on letting her go on the floor. I was outside in the garage and heard the ball bouncing down the fall followed by a thud as she crashed into the front door.

I suppose a valid attack on my stance is that repeated pain can permanently affect an animal. For example, if your dog slips enough on the floor it will be harder to get her to walk on that floor, and the animals you are kicking might start to get agitated by your presence. It can be argued that this kind of learned response is present in almost every organism, which can lead one to believe either it is unrelated to intelligence/sentience or our definition of intelligence/sentience needs revising.
    It means taking the fart pipe off of your stupid ricemobile and gently accelerating after stopping.

Certainly they existed... AlexMax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    55.84%

Quote Originally Posted by erm2003 View Post
    Vick is well known by many Americans.
    Vick makes millions of dollars each year.
    Vick is/was a role model for children.
    Spot on. If Vick was some backwoods country retard the news would have never even made a blip on Fox News' radar. If anything, this shows us how celebrity-obsessed the news media is these days.

Thread Information