0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    91.72%

Re: Scientists fear the day computers become smarter then humans

Quote Originally Posted by Beldaran View Post
    Did you read past the first post in this thread?
    I doubt it but that is why his post is somewhat true.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtmaWeapon View Post
    It means taking the fart pipe off of your stupid ricemobile and gently accelerating after stopping.

Karate guys for cash. Aegix Drakan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.86%

*first off, I'd like to say that I do believe in the soul, And that only living organic things can have it. However, If a machine becomes "sentient", I do believe it deserves to be treated as a person.*

At the moment, I don't think there are any "sentient machines".

However, if it can show "empathy for others feelings, kindness, and the ability to ascertain good from evil." as Trev put it, then They cease to be simple machines. They become something more akin to "non-organic life-forms"

In that case, then I have to say that they do deserve respect and treatment as equals. Especially if AI gets advanced as the Reploids in the Megaman series.

Just because something does not posess a soul does not make it inferior. It just makes them different. And what's the harm in being different?

*BTW, I saw the Animatrix a while back. I remember thinking that the humans were really stupid to deny the robots a chance to be "people" and attacked them. I honestly hope we do not have a situation like that*
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    AGN is not meant for people who have lives. Come back home, turn the lights off and stare in awe at the glow that comes from the monitor.
    Do you enjoy challenging RPGs? Do you enjoy dark storylines? You'll like my game. Go on, it's not very long.
    You can download my game for free right here!
    Feedback on it would be nice. It'll help with future projects.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.04%

Robot maker with a penchant for realism builds artificial boy

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/biztech....ap/index.html

Quote: David Hanson has two little Zenos to care for these days.

There's his 18-month-old son Zeno, who prattles and smiles as he bounds through his father's cramped office.

Then there's the robotic Zeno. It can't speak or walk yet, but has blinking eyes that can track people and a face that captivates with a range of expressions.

At 17 inches tall and 6 pounds, the artificial Zeno is the culmination of five years of work by Hanson and a small group of engineers, designers and programmers at his company, Hanson Robotics. They believe there's an emerging business in the design and sale of lifelike robotic companions, or social robots. And they'll be showing off the robot boy to students in grades 3-12 at the Wired NextFest technology conference Thursday in Los Angeles.

-------------

Instead of starting a new thread I just posted this link here. It does pertain and relate to the ongoing subject matter.

At the moment the robot can NOT talk or walk but it CAN make facial expressions.

Aren't there other researchers doing this same kind of research that are further along then this? (ie: robots that have talking capabilities, I know Japan/China (can't remember which) has a robot that can walk up and down stairs).

Wouldn't it be prudent for all these people to collaborate with each other? But then again... each one wants to be the "FIRST" to get to their end result so they can have bragging rights.
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Thread Information