0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.04%

Scientists fear the day computers become smarter then humans

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296324,00.html

Quote: SAN FRANCISCO — At the center of a black hole there lies a point called a singularity where the laws of physics no longer make sense.

In a similar way, according to futurists gathered Saturday for a weekend conference, information technology is hurtling toward a point where machines will become smarter than their makers.

If that happens, it will alter what it means to be human in ways almost impossible to conceive, they say.

--------------

I understand ahead of time that I really really don't fully understand this issue. So please don't rag on me about that... please and thank you.

Simplistically... aren't computers already smarter then humans? I always hear the old adage that... "computers are only as smart as the human that programs it".

Yes my thoughts are disjointed about this issue... I have a hard time wrapping my brain around it... so to speak.
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.7%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Re: Scientists fear the day computers become smarter then humans

Machines are not currently smarter than people, not even close. Machines appear smart because they can hold large amounts of data and process it quickly and efficiently using programming provided by humans, but they do not have "intelligence" like we do.

A machine as smart as a person could invent things. We currently do not have a machine that can hold a real conversation. (to my knowledge). Conversation can be simulated using programming tricks, but it's just a simulation of intelligence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.1%

A machine becomes smart at the point where it can innovate. That's my two cents.

And I don't fear the day of machine takeover. We'd build in failsafes. And ones better than just the three laws, to avoid an "I, Robot" situation.

Karate guys for cash. Aegix Drakan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.86%

lol, nerdocalypse.

Machines can only process, they can not create. therefore, they cannot ever be superior to humans. However, it could be possible for machines to be developed to the point where it becomes dangerous.

Also, WTF? Using this theory to make machine implants for the human brain? Does this worry anyone else? I mean, I'd LOVE to be able to go on the internet with my mind, and download some good pickup lines and FAQs (for easier acess), but STILL. It just seems a little bit dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    AGN is not meant for people who have lives. Come back home, turn the lights off and stare in awe at the glow that comes from the monitor.
    Do you enjoy challenging RPGs? Do you enjoy dark storylines? You'll like my game. Go on, it's not very long.
    You can download my game for free right here!
    Feedback on it would be nice. It'll help with future projects.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.7%

Quote Originally Posted by Aegix Drakan View Post
    Machines can only process, they can not create. therefore, they cannot ever be superior to humans.
    Completely false. You are a machine. It is pretty much inevitable that humans will eventually build a machine as complex as themselves. Modern AI research is close to understanding how true intelligence works mathematically, they mostly lack the hardware capabilities to implement it.

See "A Fire Upon The Deep" by Vernor Vinge and The Artilect War .

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.04%

OK... I was attributing "faster processing" as intelligence. Sorry.

I realize a lot of sci-fi channel movies predict/make movies around/etc what would happen if computers were as smart as us. But what kind of real life things would need to happen before they (computers) could be intelligent? <- assuming it was possible...
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Schrodinger's roomate. He killed my cat! Maybe.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    86.76%

I do think that as AI gets more and more advanced scientist will be apt to build in safeguards such as Asimov's three laws of robotics.

Besides, if the machines ever get out of hand we can always just scorch the sky, thusly robbing them of their solar energy. That'll work, right?
    Trevelyan
    Version 2.4

Winner of the Teh Winnar! award in the first writing contest.

There ain't no party like my nanna's tea party!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.27%

From watching countless movies and reading countless books on the subject, I think I can safely say that the problem isn't their intelligence, nor is it their programming. The problem is always that despite their great intelligence, we treat them as inferiors, as slaves. I don't believe in relying on Asimov's three laws, because there's always some glitch or whatever, and besides, I feel like that's imposing on their free will. No, we should embrace the machines, accept them as equals, give them full rights and protections under the law. For God's sake, they're not tools for us to use, they're living beings.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.7%

Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    From watching countless movies and reading countless books on the subject, I think I can safely say that the problem isn't their intelligence, nor is it their programming. The problem is always that despite their great intelligence, we treat them as inferiors, as slaves. I don't believe in relying on Asimov's three laws, because there's always some glitch or whatever, and besides, I feel like that's imposing on their free will. No, we should embrace the machines, accept them as equals, give them full rights and protections under the law. For God's sake, they're not tools for us to use, they're living beings.
    You know what? This is really insightful and I agree.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.04%

But... machines will never have a soul. Isn't that what would distinguish them from being like us (humans)?

Yes eventually they might develop a consciousness... but... (I'm not sure where my thought is going with that so I'll stop for the moment)

Thread Information