0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

Coach sent boy home in only his t-shirt and boxer shorts

http://www.wlwt.com/news/14085833/detail.html

Quote: Aucherae Washington explained that his coach had kicked him off the team after he deviated from team rules during a practice drill that had players running up and down a short hill.

“I chose to walk down the hill,” Aucherae said. “I ran to the middle of it then started walking down so I don't bump into (anybody), because if I do that I'm going to knock them probably a couple feet back.”

The boy said his coach berated him in front of the other players.

"’You're too slow for the team, you're no good for the team,’” Aucherae said the coach told him. “He told me to take off my stuff and give it back to him, and he said, ‘While you're at it, take off my pants.’"

Aucherae said he complied with the coach’s order in front of his teammates and some parents and took a seat in the bleachers, wearing only a T-shirt and boxer shorts.

-------
    Paul and Duane think the "humiliation part" was valid because the boy deviated from the coaches commands.

I think the coach was wrong... ALL the way around. I do not believe that humiliation is a good way to help train/educate/etc anyone. That coach has now set that boy up for his classmates to perpetuate the humiliation.

And on top of that... an adult, ANY adult, telling a child to disrobe in PUBLIC is SO damn wrong. And to have sent him home that way ...

I'm just appalled that the coach has not received any criminal charges.

Edit: my title should have been "t-shirt and boxer shorts"... not "socks and underwear". Sorry for the inaccuracy.
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.58%

Re: Coach sent boy home in only his socks and underwear

What a load a bull. I hope that coach gets fired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.54%

I bet that kid liked to talk back and it probably wasn't the first time that he's done something like that. That said, it doesn't mean that the coach was innocent, but something tells me that the kid is full of it.
    invincible - "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink."

Elihu Burritt - "Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence."

2008 Record (final): 84-78: NL West Champs

Karate guys for cash. Aegix Drakan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.85%

...that's just wrong.

I can maybe understand disciplining the kid, but asking him to remove his pants and go sit down in the bleachers? I can't imagine the parents being very happy about this...

I hope karma bites him, and he gets mugged for everything on his back, and has has to make HIS way home in his underwear.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    AGN is not meant for people who have lives. Come back home, turn the lights off and stare in awe at the glow that comes from the monitor.
    Do you enjoy challenging RPGs? Do you enjoy dark storylines? You'll like my game. Go on, it's not very long.
    You can download my game for free right here!
    Feedback on it would be nice. It'll help with future projects.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.35%

Uh... what the hell was that guy thinking? You don't treat kids like that, whether you're a coach or not. That is just plain *puts on Lex Luther mask* WRONG! *takes off mask* Seriously though. This guy should be fired for abusing his authority as a coach. Maybe tar and feather him. And then flog him. With a frozen tuna.
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.08%

This sounds bad on a headline, but I have a feeling the kid had it coming. Here is how I imagine it going down:

Frustrated Coach: "I'm sick of your shit, gimme all your gear and go home!"
    Scheming Teenager: "...Even my pants?"
    Frustrated Coach: "Whatever, just leave!"
    Scheming kid proceeds to disrobe, return home, and immediately call NBC, FOX news, and the local newspaper

Bottom line? I doubt this kid is in emotional turmoil over walking around in boxers and a T-shirt. The coach probably stepped over the line, but just barely. I think his biggest fault was underestimating the exaggerative effects of the media.

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.56%

Humiliation is an extremely important factor in training, but if it isn't taught to you, you'll have to find it for yourself, and then it might not happen at all. If you're serious about what you hope to achieve, you'll accept the humility received during it. Be you a boot camp private making your peers pay for your stupid mistake, or simply being the student of a martial artist "wax on, wax off"

Now, I expect the coach to get some odd stares from people, but I'd watch this guy. and the kid. If the coach is doing this, it is possible he wants to improve the kid, and will perhaps at a later date allow him to return as a much greater player. If the coach is really serious about dropping him though, then humility is misused, and the coach acted in the wrong extremely.

Schrodinger's roomate. He killed my cat! Maybe.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    86.73%

Quote Originally Posted by Old-skool View Post
    Humiliation is an extremely important factor in training, but if it isn't taught to you, you'll have to find it for yourself, and then it might not happen at all. If you're serious about what you hope to achieve, you'll accept the humility received during it. Be you a boot camp private making your peers pay for your stupid mistake, or simply being the student of a martial artist "wax on, wax off"
    I agree that humiliation is indeed a tool sometimes used for training purposes. However, it's usually used in cases such as military boot camp. I personally don't see where some school football team is worth putting a kid through this kind of humiliation.

Even if humiliation on this scale was justified, why did the coach pick something that seems a relatively minor discipline matter? Granted, the kid may have had other infractions against him, but merely walking back down the hill instead of running doesn't sound like it deserves the punishment of being humiliated in front of your friends and classmates.

Bottom line, I don't think the coach handled this situation right. Further, I don't like high school sports as they currently stand. That's entirely too much pressure to put on a kid for something as stupid as football. Sure, if they want to play they have to be serious about it because it'll teach them about responsibility. However, if you can't get through to the kid, kick him off the team and have done with it.
    Trevelyan
    Version 2.4

Winner of the Teh Winnar! award in the first writing contest.

There ain't no party like my nanna's tea party!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    20.34%

Don't people understand that this is how school shooters are born?
    My Wii number:

2399 1339 8269 5334

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

Quote Originally Posted by Rijuhn View Post
    Don't people understand that this is how school shooters are born?
    Quoted for emphasis. And too true as well.
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Thread Information