Lv. Percent
    65.08%

Re: If Real Life had cheat codes...

X-ray vision in the sorority house.
    That's all.

Glenn the Great

Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla View Post
    Well it wouldn't be any fun or work at all if "everyone could save state".
    Mottzilla had identified the problem.

Everyone shouldn't be able to save state. I should be the only one able to save state.

The reason that we want super powers is to give us an edge over the other people. When the other people get the powers too, we are equalized and discontented.

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.35%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Everyone shouldn't be able to save state. I should be the only one able to save state.
    lol why you and nobody else? :p

Actually, we wouldn't even notice if a state was saved. They can't really do all that much to manipulate things anyway besides knowing the future, so things would seem exactly as they were meant to be for those not state-skipping. For all we know, people can save-state save/load right now and we wouldn't know it nor notice it. That's sort of the entire point.

Glenn the Great

State saving, especially with multiple slots, would very quickly create a complex net of alternate realities/timelines. One person's load state might quickly destroy the work of many others.

But yeah, it would be me and not everyone else because I have no regard for anyone else since I can't feel anything they feel, and I know for a fact that other humans just love to disagree with me and/or try to hinder what I want to do. They are only really good for what little I manage to cheat out of them without them realizing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.08%

If we're looking at it like that, then save stating would in effect take you out of the realm of the real world. It's like this.
    I have a copy of Pokemon Emerald on my computer, as a ROM. Now while, I can use save states and jump around and edit it with cheat codes, I cannot battle or trade with those that have it for GBA, the actual copy, or even other ROM holders. Therefore, upon using a ROM instead of an actual cartridge, I gain the ability to do what I will with it, but lose the ability to interact with real people and the like. If everyone were to use these powers to maneuver around time, it would in effect put them in their own isolated universe and would have absolutely no effect on anyone else's because they are no longer playing with a legit copy of life. Does that make sense?

And Glenn your second paragraph is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.1%

Just give me the D&D Grease spell and tickets to the Olympics. Hilarity will ensue.
    Proud sponsor of the Oh, God of hangovers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.56%

Quote Originally Posted by Beldaran View Post
    I completely disagree with Atmaweapon. I want all kinds of reality altering superpowers because I know I would enjoy improving my life constantly.
    Would you? No matter what you improved, there would always be some aspect that could be further improved. The more refined all of your abilities become, the harder it is to refine them further. Even if you had a power that allowed you to continuously refine yourself with no effort, would you be pleased that you succeeded?

For analogy, would you consider yourself more awesome for learning how to play Chopsticks on the piano or a perfect rendition of Free Bird? One represents a basic task that few people could fail to accomplish, the other represents an accomplishment that requires talent and effort. What if, via the use of your powers, playing Free Bird was as simple as Chopsticks, not only for you but for other people? Would your enjoyment of playing the song be the same if the difficulty were trivial and the accomplishment less unique?

It seems to me that the goal of most people's life is to compete in some way with other people and come out ahead. If we all had the power to excel, there would be no competition and I believe we would be miserable.

Glenn's post highlights the key problem here: if you are the only person with such powers, it is easy to impress people and reap the benefits of the "cheating". The loss of the feeling of pride that comes with effort is quite easily replaced with the loss of worry about money or lifestyle (though I think eventually it'd bite you). But if even one other person has such powers, it diminishes your talent in the eyes of those you seek to please because well THAT GUY can do it too and he did it better yesterday! In this case, you are a being with limitless potential locked in competition with another being of limitless potential. One cannot defeat the other. Now grant all peoples this power, and there is no such thing as accomplishment anymore. Since no effort can be rewarded, no one will expend effort. Humanity is lost.

Still, legitimate powers such as "always moonwalk" or "makes your face look all glitched" hold their cool because they improve everyone's life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.09%

The ability to lower FPS would be cool. Make everything all Matrix-ey.

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.35%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn the Great View Post
    State saving, especially with multiple slots, would very quickly create a complex net of alternate realities/timelines. One person's load state might quickly destroy the work of many others.
    I got a different perspective from that. I think that we'd all be operating on the same timeline. Everyone would have their own set states, but it wouldn't matter if someone went back to a previous savestate because they're changing the entire world back to that state, so all saved states everyone else had made would be lost. It might even be possible to be in an infinite loop, but we wouldn't know it, assuming that only the person who had issued the recall to an earlier state would realize he'd loaded that state, and nobody else would even know it despite being able to sense their OWN loadings, but not someone else's. So we wouldn't even know that we're in an infinite loop depending on the actions of others.

But yeah, it would be me and not everyone else because I have no regard for anyone else since I can't feel anything they feel, and I know for a fact that other humans just love to disagree with me and/or try to hinder what I want to do. They are only really good for what little I manage to cheat out of them without them realizing.
    I could make the same argument, minus some of the callous.

Just give me the D&D Grease spell and tickets to the Olympics. Hilarity will ensue.
    LOL, that was a wonderful reply. If it had come down to something from D&D, I would have liked to see what Horrid Wilting would have done to someone, but I like your reply better. :p

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Marsden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.52%

Jesus Christ, this turned nerdish quick.

Give me god-mode, infinite mana or mp or whatever and the ability to swap gender at will. Good times.
    AGN's resident Doctor Who, Star Wars and Torchwood fan

Current life projects: Survive job, stay awake, write stuff, find new job. Not in that order.

Hey, I do online reviews now! Check out my site to see the latest videos.

Thread Information