User Tag List

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%

Thread: AtmaWeapon and the Half-Satisfactory Webhost: Fate of the Member Pages within

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.58%

AtmaWeapon and the Half-Satisfactory Webhost: Fate of the Member Pages within

The long story that is recursively linked to another telling of the same thing is located at my new blog about Fuitadnet's recent service. The executive summary is:
    • Fuitadnet.com is a very bad hosting service.
    • They managed to lose an entire server.
    • This loss revealed their "daily backup" didn't exist.
    • When customers complained on their forums, they responded by removing the forums.
    Thus ends my relationship with Fuitadnet.

How this concerns AGN at all is that, for those who remember them, the AGN Member Pages were hosted at good old atmaweapon.org. Something like 3 years ago I redid them in PHP and seeded information about it to a few select members; excitement did not pick up and I figured the "Picture Post" thread was all AGN really needed but I did not delete the static HTML or php member pages.

I have some stale version of them in static HTML and I actually have the database schema and code for the PHP version, but I lost the data itself. Also since it's old PHP who knows what kind of issues could arise. I was curious if anyone even cares about them before I go to the effort of redoing the data entry. Another problem is a few people have explicitly asked to be removed and I did not really make good notes of that so I might reintroduce them.

I see about 85 names on the Member Pages roster and probably 6 of them post today. I can always mirror the static one for nostalgia, but I'm curious if it is worth even doing that.

Of course, if you have some really cool idea for something that would rejuvenate interest in them feel free to point it out; I'm not really sure why I decided to keep paying for hosting other than having theoretically infinite email addresses and a reliable method of hosting files is pretty appealing, but having a project would definitely make me feel like this hassle was worth it.

*edit* Also the DNS transfer only happened a day or so ago and for some reason in Firefox only I have a lot of intermittent problems accessing the site. Everything is cool then it's 404 for 10 minutes then everything is cool again. For some reason while Firefox insists there are no pages at my domain, IE has no problems serving up content so if you can't access it all I can say is I hate the fact that no two people will read a standard and implement it the same.

*edit*

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.11%

Re: AtmaWeapon and the Half-Satisfactory Webhost: Fate of the Member Pages within

i dunno what your talking about lol so i vote only option #3
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.7%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Re: AtmaWeapon and the Half-Satisfactory Webhost: Fate of the Member Pages within

I always thought they were cool, but they are brutally outdated now. Maybe we could make a new version with current members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.89%

This makes me glad I migrated to DreamHost just over a year ago, and I've not had a problem ever since. Fuitadnet is unfortunately still the registrar for gerudo.net, but i have a separate domain under DreamHost as backup.

I would say make a new member pages with the 'new generation' of members. Well, I'd take a poll to see of people would actually submit pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.6%

I'd say bring em back. Ever look into using FDC for hosting?

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.04%

Don't let it die hon ... please and thank you :)
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.98%

I say let it die.

I think it would be easier to just have people set their real life pictures as their "Profile Picture" (not avatar), and make a page that pulled up members who have one set.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.7%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by vegeta1215 View Post
    I say let it die.

I think it would be easier to just have people set their real life pictures as their "Profile Picture" (not avatar), and make a page that pulled up members who have one set.
    I hadn't paid much attention to my profile and so I vaguely remembered/forgot that you could have a profile picture. Your solution sounds optimal.

Thread Information