User Tag List

Thread: Where are your high-tech manners?

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.04%

Where are your high-tech manners?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/0...ers/index.html

I agree that sometimes cell phone usage can be very disrupting to others around them. People just need to be considerate of those around them... in all situations.
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.9%

Re: Where are your high-tech manners?

It is amazing how much cell phones have changed things in society. The students at my school don't seem to understand when the appropriate time to use them is.

For example, most of them don't understand why they can't have them on in class in case they get a call from their parents. First of all, why are their parents calling them while they are in classes? Second, we have phones in every room so the parents can call the office and either the student can be called down or they can transfer the line in case of an emergency.

The other big problem we have been having is phones in the room for state exams. We tell them not to bring them in, we tell them to shut them off if they still do. We can't take them, just warn them. If they look at a message or use the device at all, they are dismissed from the exam and have to take it over again at the next state testing day. We had 3 or 4 students this past year do this. The sad part is they usually aren't cheating. It may be a text message from a parent or another friend who forgot they are in the exam, but because they responded by looking at the message, the exam has to be nullified.

I personally can't stand it when people are using their phone all the time. I won't even stay on it if I am being cashed out at a store. When I used to work a retail job I thought it was just rude when someone was on their phone the whole time. You couldn't tell them anything because they wouldn't hear you and it just makes the transaction longer.

My favorite way to handle the situation comes from a sub place in Buffalo. They have a sign that says if you are on your phone when you are up to order, they won't serve you. I was able to witness it. When a girl on her phone was up to order, the guy went right to the next customer. She had to hang up on her friend to make her order. It's just a common courtesy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.97%

I don't even have a cell phone. They're absolutely unnecessary. Need to make a phone call? Pick up that thing that's on the table that sometimes makes a ringing sound.

Heck, just today I was at an eye appointment (got myself some stronger contacts ). The lady at the counter was busy with my insurance papers/payments/etc. and she got a call on her cell phone. She picked it up and said, "Hold on!!" and set it down on the counter. She didn't pick it up for at least another 30 seconds. :p
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

Schrodinger's roomate. He killed my cat! Maybe.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    86.76%

The being on the phone when you're at a cash register drives me flipping insane. If the conversation is so important that you can't put the other person on hold for a few minutes, then what the fuck are you doing at a cash register during this call anyways?

The other thing that pisses me off is the people that wear their blue tooth wireless headsets ALL. THE. FUCKING. TIME. I'm sorry to say people, you are not that important. Also, those things make you look like either A) Some strange alien bug has attached itself to your ear and died a horrible death whilst trying to mate with said ear, or B) The Borg attempted to assimilate you but gave it up for a bad job after only doing a little work.

What's even better than the person on the phone is the person that wearing one of the aforementioned wireless headsets and are attempting to conduct business, whilst talking on the damned things. I had a manager at work try that with me. It's great when someone is holding a conversation with you and then start talking to apparent thin air. It's even better when they get pissed at your for not knowing they were on a wireless head set and you dare to interrupt them by asking if they were talking to you.
    Trevelyan
    Version 2.4

Winner of the Teh Winnar! award in the first writing contest.

There ain't no party like my nanna's tea party!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.9%

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan_06 View Post
    The other thing that pisses me off is the people that wear their blue tooth wireless headsets ALL. THE. FUCKING. TIME.
    Oh I totally forgot to mention that. When I see that I just want to rip it off their ears. I own one myself. Where is mine? In my car, and that's where it stays because that's what it is for.

New York has a law that requires you to use a hands-free set for your cell phone, though most people still do not. There is a ridiculous fine (around $100 I think) if you actually do get ticketed for it. I would rather be on the safe side if I have to suddenly have to make or receive a call on the road.

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    44.95%

Quote Originally Posted by erm2003 View Post
    I personally can't stand it when people are using their phone all the time. I won't even stay on it if I am being cashed out at a store. When I used to work a retail job I thought it was just rude when someone was on their phone the whole time. You couldn't tell them anything because they wouldn't hear you and it just makes the transaction longer.
    That irks me too. I've two seperate occasions when I decided to handle things differently than I normally do.

The first time, the person was the only person in line, and the only person in the store I believe. They handed me the items and began talking on the phone. I stood there and stared at them until they got off. And didn't begin ringing up until they were off.

On the second occasion, I was trying to give my sales pitch and a woman kept yapping away on her cellphone. As I began to put the items up, I decided that I was going to dish it back at her, and I began talking to her, and didn't stop. She finally had to hang up the phone because she couldn't hear us both at the same time. That was mildly entertaining. My manager began laughed in that instance. She knew exactly what I was doing. The woman began saying "What?" "What did you say?" "I can't hear you".

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Marsden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.54%

The problem with technology is that it makes people think that they are better then others. The more high-tech the equipment they use, the higher up in the food chain they are. It's stupid, it's wrong and it's not going to stop just because it's rude. They're not on the receiving end, so what's it to them? Why should they care?

Another problem, which I believe is very much related to, and in many cases the cause of this, is people being taught good manners. More and more youngsters these days aren't being told how to be polite, and they take that into the real world. If I'm at work and someone asks me something, I'll stop what I'm doing (if I have something in my hand, I'll ask them to hang on for a few seconds and I'll be right with them) and help them as best I can. I've seen occasions, thankfully few, where that's not happened, and it always leaves you feeling unhappy.

EDIT: I don't have a mobile (or if I do, then it's long been buried) and honestly believe that most people don't actually need one.
    AGN's resident Doctor Who, Star Wars and Torchwood fan

Current life projects: Survive job, stay awake, write stuff, find new job. Not in that order.

Hey, I do online reviews now! Check out my site to see the latest videos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.55%

I kind of hate how you're talking to someone and they go to the phone and talk to someone else. There's no way anyone can make you feel more appreciated.
    invincible - "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink."

Elihu Burritt - "Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence."

2008 Record (final): 84-78: NL West Champs

Thread Information