Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.27%

Electric or Accoustic?

So I've been thinking for awhile about starting to learn how to play the guitar. I was talking with my friend about it, who also plays guitar, and he says that an electric guitar is good to start learning with. I know there are some musicians on the board, Belderan comes to mind. And I would like some advice. I already know how to play piano, I dunno if that is going to help at all with learning to play guitar. Some one once told me that once you learn how to play piano, it makes learning another instrument a whole lot easier.

So I'm really looking for just some info. For example, if I were to get an electric, would I still be able to play songs just hanging around while everybody can kinda sing? i.e. play songs like Good Riddance, American Pie, etc. Or do I need an accoustic for that.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Winner of the Side Splitter award in the first Writing Contest

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.66%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Re: Electric or Accoustic?

If you buy an electric guitar you will need to buy an amplifier, which can get expensive. I do not recommend buying a nice guitar and a crappy amp. I recommend buying a crappy guitar and a nice amp, as the amp will make you sound a lot better than the guitar.

If you're willing to drag your amp around, you can still play songs with friends and stuff. However, it is more convenient to have an acoustic with regards to mobility.

I recommend a Fender Squire stratocaster and an amplifier that you enjoy the sound of. You also might consider getting a distortion pedal for fun, although I recommend practicing without it.

Practicing on an acoustic will help you get better faster than on electric because acoustic is more difficult. I used to practice my scales on an acoustic and then switch to electric, where I'd be super fast.

You totally suck at guitar for a while. It has a steep learning curve. But if you're willing to practice and be patient, you will be pleased at the progress you make. It's fun.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.17%

I say it all has to do with how much money you initially want to spend. If you look around you can get a decent acoustic guitar for dirt cheap, whereas an electric that's any good will cost a couple hundred dollars, not including the amp.
    I'd say get an instument that you'd wan't to play, not one that would sit in the closet for years, whichever that may be.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.05%

If you want to start playing things well now, get an electric, as it's easier to get your fingers to do what you want on those. Acoustics are harder to play because of their size and the thickness of strings, but as Beldaran said they are more mobile and you can play them without the need of an amplifier. On the other hand, if you want to practice at night without bothering someone, you can play an electric without bothering most people, as long as it's not going through an amp. You'll get more long term benefit from the acoustic, but that may not be what you're looking for.
    Also, just go to a pawn shop or guitar center or wherever and play with various electrics and various acoustics, until you narrow it down to whichever guitar you want.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.93%

To me, the major difference in terms of difficulty between learning on an acoustic vs an electric is on an acoustic guitar the action is higher so you have to press down harder to fret notes. For a new player this will make your finger tips hurt more so than on an electric, that is until you build calluses. Otherwise, I'd say choose based on the kind of stuff you want to play and how much you want to spend. You can rock out on an acoustic, but it's not going to be the same as striking a power chord while playing through an over-driven amp with an electric guitar.

Your experience with piano will certainly help in terms of rhythm and timing, but the physical aspects of how you play a guitar vs a piano are totally different. Being able to read music will help if you choose to learn to play guitar that way, but it's easiest to start just by learning chords and playing along with songs.

If you're unsure whether this is something you'll want to stick with, then don't spend a lot. Heck, see if you can borrow a guitar from someone first. But if you are serious, don't buy a cheap guitar. I started with a Fender Squier, and it was good to learn on, but it's not a good guitar.

EDIT: I take that back. A regular Squier might be decent, but Affinity Squiers, which is what is in all those Strat packs, suck. Don't buy one of those packs, the guitars in them all suck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.27%

Ok. Thanks for all the help guys. A friend of mine has a old electric he'll lend me, I just need to get an amp.
    Winner of the Side Splitter award in the first Writing Contest

Thread Information