Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.45%

Re: Sentiments about the state of AGN

Well don't forget that he's still Breaker, and he's still a dick. However, now it seems like he's not so confident since he changed it so fast.
    invincible - "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink."

Elihu Burritt - "Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence."

2008 Record (final): 84-78: NL West Champs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.87%

I've been here for a long time, so hopefully you all will listen to what I say, as I'm sure you wouldn't expect some of these comments coming from me.

AGN is an internet forum - we come and we talk about video games amongst other things. And just like in real life, not everyone is nice, and those people that aren't nice aren't going to be nice just because you don't like them.

Yeah, a lot of good members have left. A lot of them are concentrating on their real lives, and face it, a lot of them are growing up. Not everyone wants to post on a small internet message board about video games their whole life. Me, I've skimmed other message boards, and the amount of stupidity and childishness I see is what keeps me away from them. I like it here. I like having a small group of people I can chat with about the latest games who can make more than a stupid one-liner comment. Members have left, and it's silly to expect them to always be here. But a lot have stayed, and a lot of good ones have joined along the way who are still here.

Me, I'm a mod, but I've never stopped posting. I do what I've always done, and if some posts in my sections need cleaning up, I do it. Simple as that. Those above me do the same and just happen to have banning power. You talk about structure, but what more do you want? There have been times when former staff tried to make a bigger deal about the staff than it really needed to be, and it was stupid. If the staff is doing it's job you shouldn't have to see them doing it.

Yeah, some personal feuds have spilled over in the public, and I don't like it - I've made it a point not to discuss staff related topics in public forums or fight with people in public. But just like real life, people fight. The best we can do is keep out those that cause the most problems, but seeing that anyone can join AGN, it's not always easy. We can't pick who will post.

I've seen these threads before, and I roll my eyes every time I do because all anyone ever does is complain, without offering much else. Want more activity? Tell your friends about AGN, start a campaign, become more active yourself! You don't need forum staff to do that!

Hopefully this thread won't turn into one big fight, but I've been here longer than most of you, I've seen it all.

UPDATE: btw, I don't follow Zelda Classic anymore, and I don't know what is going on in development now, but I agree the website should be fixed - but there are few people with access to that, and also fewer people higher ups would trust to manage it. We (the staff) are thinking about it though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.45%

Quote Originally Posted by vegeta1215 View Post
    I've seen these threads before, and I roll my eyes every time I do because all anyone ever does is complain, without offering much else. Want more activity? Tell your friends about AGN, start a campaign, become more active yourself! You don't need forum staff to do that!
    I'm pretty sure that Jennifer and I made good points in the threads that we made, and we're both pretty active, so this doesn't make sense to me.

We need people who can do exciting things with the site, which means SMs and admins. Mods can only do so much, but I really think that we need more admins to keep things running smoothly.
    invincible - "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink."

Elihu Burritt - "Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence."

2008 Record (final): 84-78: NL West Champs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.87%

I didn't mean to sound like I was pointing fingers at you two, so I'm sorry if you feel that way. There have just been many many threads like this in the past, and it's always the same thing. I guess I feel that way because I am fine with how things are. I do miss a lot of old members though.

I've never been a big topic starter, but I've managed to steadily contribute to threads. I'm personally happy with where I am as a regular mod since the forums I mod are the ones I read (I don't read much in GD for instance, and would not want to mod it). In the past there are times where I would've liked to have been able to ban spammers, but with ck and a few others back, stuff like that is getting taken care of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.98%

I really wish that I had been here back in AGN's heyday. I hear you all talking about it and I just feel a bit left out.

I agree that we need to promote/help ZC to pull new people in, and a new staff to control things when we get there. ZC development is fairly active, bugs being fixed, and 2.5 nearing, but zeldaclassic.com is a total mess. I know that I would do most anything and take on any responsibility to help this place out. I'd volunteer to be a mod or smod, except that I know I'm so far down on the respect/seniority chain.

but there are no opportunities for people like me to do anything. For example, I and Rocksfan have, over the past 2 years, volunteered numerously to help fix ZC.com and/or the new QDB, but the site of course is a sad project today.
    Totally. One of the best ways to put it.

I also have to wonder what other features the forum could have to pull people in. The return of the arcade would be nice, and some new reviews. But we also need other new stuff that people can't get anywhere else.
    Okay, crazy idea time, and the devs can feel free to shoot me, but based on what I've seen done with ZC, MarioClassic, MetroidClassic, FinalFantasyClassic, and others would certainly be viable options.

And yet...I know that this thread is pointless. Part of me just despairs at getting the attention of anyone who has the power to do anything.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.62%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

I think the reason people are dissatisfied is not random, meaningless complaining, but rather a disappointment that so many members have left because some of the staff (especially in the past, not so much now) have been so horribly unprofessional and negative towards people.

The reason there are 3 or 4 other boards filled with members that used to or would have posted at AGN is because they were driven away by the behavior of the staff.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    97.88%

His name was Radium! Not Radiant. Also I remember plith and nonny. And I love you guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    5.53%

I still say we should all elect Masa for admin. He is strong, yet gentle.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    97.88%

i can testify to this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.45%

Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Well don't forget that he's still Breaker, and he's still a dick. However, now it seems like he's not so confident since he changed it so fast.
    Not at all, I just forgot how much I disliked getting involved in these little discussions with you guys, hence I edited it out. I'm hardly a keyboard cowboy. Aside from deleting spam from the forums, the last thing I did for AGN was unban Glenn the Great, Beldaran, ane others. I can't be blamed for the recent bullshit that's been plaguing the forums.

Unless of course it's to blame me for unbanning them to begin with.

I haven't been very active at all on the forums lately due to other commitments. Don't mistake this for arrogance, but I've just moved on from AGN. It's a small community of people that need to stop bickering with eachother and instead work on increasing activity, which everyone is capable of by posting more.

Edit: Wanna know something kinda funny? I only unbanned Beldaran, Glenn, and the others to bring some activity back to the forum, since the regulars weren't. I'm a firm believer of any activity is good activity, even if it's people bitching about how much they hate you guys.

Stop making me out to be the bad guy already and get over yourselves.

Thread Information