Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.88%

Re: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

I picked it up yesterday and played for a couple hours. (I just landed on Bryyo) I'm still trying to get used to the controls though, it feels weird. It probably doesn't help that I have a small TV - Advanced aiming is far too sensitive for me to use, so I'm using Standard. I think I'll get used to it though, at least I hope so. If this game can't convince me of the Wii's potential, I don't think anything will.

Still, one thing that keeps me from enjoying the game is being the complentionist I am, I don't want to miss scans, so I constantly have the scan visor on. (this has nothing to do with Wii of course) I'll probably post more impressions as I play. Right now though the game feels very un-metroid-ish because of all the other characters in the game. I haven't been isolated yet, which is what Metroid is about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.7%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla View Post
    Actually, it's quite a big crowd as the Wiimote + Nunchuck sucks for FPS gaming. While a keyboard and mouse is considered ideal, the dual analog stick setup works well, but the Wiimote and Nunchuck leave ALOT to be desired. You're fooling yourself if you believe everybody loves the Wiimote + Nunchuck for FPS idea.
    You're basing this on what? Red Steel? That game is a POS.

Anyways, I have Metroid Prime 3. The control works great. It's honestly about as close to real PC FPS control as you're going to get on the Wii. My only complaint so far has had more to do with my setup I think. Wii's sensor bar has always been an issue for me, and I'm constantly finding my cursor off-screen (I got the "Point the Wiimote at the screen" message in Zelda a lot). I think it has to do with the fact I'm so close to it (small room, huge widescreen TV). So that can get annoying at times. But if I manage it (i.e. point it at the small window), the control scheme does work great. But definately turn on Advanced control, that one is the best.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    86.92%

Although I must say that nintendo made an excellent choice with the Wii, I will never, ever buy it. Prime 3 looks awesome, and the level of innovativity is brilliant. But it just isn't for me. :/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.13%

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Yeah, I first played RE4(which admittedly is a third-person game, but uses the wii-mote to aim, beautifully) and then played Red Steel.

Ugh.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.78%

I played through the opening sequences of MP3 and I do have to say the controls work very well. The game is great so far and the first couple major battles (which are well done) are almost a tease of what I expect to see later on. They really did do a great job using the Wii controls to their potential. I can't wait to see what is coming up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.57%

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Yes Red Steel is a POS. No, that's not what I'm basing my opinion on. The pointing function of the Wii like you just said, has issues. For serious shooters, there's no room for controller issues. Having the aiming disappear or become unresponsive or just not work the way you need when you need it would be extremely irritating. While Daark mentioned RE4, that game doesn't have the issue so much with the pointer because of the game pace and the fact that you can't shoot while moving.

I don't see the Wiimote&Nunchuck as some ultimate FPS setup cause it isn't. Sure it's different and some people will like it for that. But just the same there are other people that won't like it, and don't think it helps the FPS genre at all.

And shooters, I play alot of them. I couldn't see using the Wiimote&Nunchuck in any of them. It'd just be a disaster. You really have to have the right type of game for it to work, and a frantic fast paced FPS definitely isn't the right type.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.88%

Just got done playing a little more. I'm starting to get used to the controls and it's working out pretty well. Disabling the free look while locked on has helped, and makes the combat feel more like the old Primes, which is fine by me. The controls aren't as good as a mouse (I don't think anything will ever be quite that good) but they are close. I tried a few games on the 360 with the dual stick aiming/moving, and I just can't get used to it.

Glenn the Great

I can certainly say that I'd never want to use the Wiimote to play a FPS against other players. I've been a heavy player of FPS's for most of my life, and I understand how in frantic firefights, all it takes, even with a mouse, is a millisecond's worth of control failure to find yourself dead with some punk on the other end saying "lol n00b".

I imagine that Wiimote aiming is really suited to more casual games where there isn't such a demand for rapid and precise aiming, especially in the middle of movement.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.87%

Put it this way. Both dual sticks and the Wii controls are very precise. But in different ways.

I never got to used dual analog stick gaming since all the FPS games I played were N64 ones. The dual analog stick, which I'll call DAS, style is no way as natural or as accurately represented by how you would aim a gun/etc. in real life. However, it is of course very precise in its own way.

With the Wii, it takes real life factors into consideration, like moving your arm too much = missing your target. It can be very precise with practice. If you pick up any weapon that you've never shot before, you won't be able to get bull's-eyes every time you shoot. So therefore the Wii is more natural in this sense and still maintains its precision, but you'll need to master it. Just like you've learned to master the DAS aiming.

Can you honestly tell me that the first time you played a DAS aiming game that you were dead on every time? Not me; I was not used to it. But I'm sure that if I would have practiced and used it more than that hour I played, I would have improved. These complaints about the "inaccuracy" of the Wii are based on old-style gamers using a brand new style of aiming that they've never used.

*pants*
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Marsden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.44%

I'm gonna pick this up when I get a Wii. Still don't have one, but the reasons for grabbing one are building up...
    AGN's resident Doctor Who, Star Wars and Torchwood fan

Current life projects: Survive job, stay awake, write stuff, find new job. Not in that order.

Hey, I do online reviews now! Check out my site to see the latest videos.

Thread Information