User Tag List

Thread: Mystery of 'Poe Toaster' revealed...

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.05%

Mystery of 'Poe Toaster' revealed...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/book....ap/index.html

I remember reading about someone placing roses/cognac at Edgar Allen Poes grave ... as a kid. And I always thought it was a hoax.

Guess it wasn't a hoax. Imagine that...
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Glenn the Great

Re: Mystery of 'Poe Toaster' revealed...

The article says it was a hoax. It was a legend created as an advertising promotion.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.05%

The article says: "What began as legend has become fact, with actual people playing role".

So it wasn't a hoax... no matter the intention.
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.59%

It may or may not be a hoax, depending on how far you are willing to take your definition of hoax.

It is certainly untrue that the event has been occurring since Poe's death. It is true that it was concocted as a marketing scheme.

However, it has happened every year for a period and until this jerk revealed it it was one of the great mysteries of the world. People like a good mystery, and I think you can take the fact that no one has ever stopped the toaster and forced him to identify himself as how deeply people respected the secrecy and mystery.

Basically it would have been better if it was part of his will at his death. Then I believe less people would have felt cheated. I feel kind of disappointed now too because it was a really neat story. At least I still have Racetrack Playa <3

Thread Information