Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    58.91%

Re: Wii Recommendations

Am I really the only one who hates Super Monkey Ball for Wii? I absolutely love the first one for Gamecube and was excited about the Wii controls, but in my opinion, they just don't work very well. Control feels inferior to the original's joystick control, and I feel the game itself is simply inferior compared to the original. I was very disappointed when I found out that my appreciation for this game did not mirror that of reviewers or even my own appreciation of the first game. Ah well.

Rayman is so-so, in my opinion. I had quite a bit of fun playing it with a few friends, but I can't imagine it being too enjoyable alone.

I'm currently considering purchasing Mario Strikers, Excite Truck, and Wario Ware. All seem interesting, but to be honest, I'm mostly holding out for Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and Super Mario Galaxy, all of which look to be absolutely fantastic. Games that are currently out that I enjoy are Elebits, Resident Evil 4 (the controls are fantastic in this game; the improvement over the Gamecube controls is astounding), Super Paper Mario, and Zelda. If you want a game that will really make you appreciate the unique features of the Wii, I recommend Elebits. However, it might only be worth a rent, as the game doesn't have all that much variety. It throws some new aspects in as you go along, but overall it's the same sort of thing all the way through. The controls work great for it, though, as you have to point, push, pull, twist, and various other things; it definitely showcases the abilities of the remote. As much as I love my Wii, there's not all that much out at the moment that really interests me. Luckily, that's not the case with the upcoming lineup. You might want to check out Trauma Center for Wii, as it looks interesting. There will also be a brand new Trauma Center sometime in the not too distant future (later this year, I think?). If you've not already played through the DS version, the Wii version may be for you.

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Marsden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.52%

Again, thanks for your thoughts. Responses:

- Call of Duty III I'm mostly interested in 'cause it doesn't look like it's coming to the PC.
    - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? Has anyone tried that? Looks fun.
    - I'm keeping an eye on Rayman Raving Rabbids because, like most games, I enjoyed it's prequels.
    - Red Steel? Anybody try this one either?
    - I will get Sonic and the Secret Rings, but can anyone tell me how good it is?
    - I already knew about Spider-Man III, just wanted your opinion on it.
    - Wasn't a huge fan of the original Super Monkey Balls, just wondered how it'd translated to the Wii. Hmm.
    - Elebits doesn't really appeal to me, and nor do other, similar games, like Trauma Center. Not sure why.
    AGN's resident Doctor Who, Star Wars and Torchwood fan

Current life projects: Survive job, stay awake, write stuff, find new job. Not in that order.

Hey, I do online reviews now! Check out my site to see the latest videos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.87%

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Marsden View Post
    - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? Has anyone tried that? Looks fun.
    - I'm keeping an eye on Rayman Raving Rabbids because, like most games, I enjoyed it's prequels.
    - Red Steel? Anybody try this one either?
    - Wasn't a huge fan of the original Super Monkey Balls, just wondered how it'd translated to the Wii. Hmm.
    - Elebits doesn't really appeal to me, and nor do other, similar games, like Trauma Center. Not sure why.
    Harry Potter seemed more or less a chore yo do things.
    Raving Rabbids is a collection of minigames, and only uses the Rayman character.
    Red Steel was ubersuck, imo.
    Monkey Ball was alright. A few of the 'massive' minigames are annoying, and at times the control for the main game is downright irritating.
    I hated Elebits. The Trauma Center demo wasn't bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    81.54%

Wii Play definitely deserves a mention, since it comes with the spare remote- you're basically paying $10 for a decent minigame collection.
    Oh, if you want it to be possesive, it's just "i-t-s"; but if you want it to be a contraction then it's "i-t-apostrophe-s"... scallawag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.65%

Sonic is ok. I rented it, and I was glad I didn't pay full price for it, because while it's step in the right direction, and it has some fun elements, there's still a lot more they could have done *right*, and they didn't.
    Link to the Past Tileset for ZC available here: http://www.filespace.org/bam200308/lttptileset2.4.zip

"Lie? Me? Never. The truth is far too much fun."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.52%

Thanks guys. Upon reflection, I think I'll hang on a while longer - 2 or 3 games does not a console purchase warrant.

Current life projects: Survive job, stay awake, write stuff, find new job. Not in that order.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.97%

I've had a Wii since March, and the only Wii game I have (besides Wii Sports) is Super Paper Mario, which is fun but not nearly as good as the previous Paper Mario titles. Other than that I've been playing a few VC games.

Like you I am waiting for Metroid, Mario, and Smash Bros. There are other games I'd like to try, some of which you mentioned, but nothing else I really want to play right now.

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    44.92%

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Marsden View Post
    Thanks guys. Upon reflection, I think I'll hang on a while longer - 2 or 3 games does not a console purchase warrant.
    I find that more and more common with the later generation of systems, as it takes longer and longer to put out a game. Even the 360, which has been out far longer than the other two suffers from that same problem, at least for me. I can't think of but a few titles for any of the console systems that stand out for me to buy.

In my opinion, if you see a few games you want to buy, and want to own the system, you might as well buy it and get it over with. I really don't think it would drop in price anytime soon. So if you buy today, a few months from now, or even next year...chances are you'll still be buying it for the same price. Look at the Xbox 360, which is still $400.

If you want it, then why wait for more games, especially if you already know a lot of games that are coming out that you do want to buy? If you had decided to get one before you even found out that there wasn't enough games for it, then that doesn't sound like it was the main reason behind why you wanted it to begin with. :)

I'm all for you saving your money if you actually have something else to spend it on now. But if the money your putting aside is clearly for a Wii, and a Wii only, then buying it now shouldn't matter much opposed to buying it later.

But its all up to you. I would buy a PC.

Glenn the Great

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I would buy a PC.
    I agree with this. More and more it seems consoles are becoming old hat, and it wouldn't surprise me if this were the final generation of consoles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.52%

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I find that more and more common with the later generation of systems, as it takes longer and longer to put out a game. Even the 360, which has been out far longer than the other two suffers from that same problem, at least for me. I can't think of but a few titles for any of the console systems that stand out for me to buy.

In my opinion, if you see a few games you want to buy, and want to own the system, you might as well buy it and get it over with. I really don't think it would drop in price anytime soon. So if you buy today, a few months from now, or even next year...chances are you'll still be buying it for the same price. Look at the Xbox 360, which is still $400.

If you want it, then why wait for more games, especially if you already know a lot of games that are coming out that you do want to buy? If you had decided to get one before you even found out that there wasn't enough games for it, then that doesn't sound like it was the main reason behind why you wanted it to begin with. :)

I'm all for you saving your money if you actually have something else to spend it on now. But if the money your putting aside is clearly for a Wii, and a Wii only, then buying it now shouldn't matter much opposed to buying it later.

But its all up to you. I would buy a PC.
    I was thinking about getting a Wii, and wondered if now was a good time to do so. I like variety in my games - if I get bored of one I can switch to another, that sort of thing. As I say, there's a few games I'd be interested in, but I think hanging on for a while longer to be a better idea. I'd have more money by then and could afford more games, that sort of thing.

And I already have a PC.

Thread Information