Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.91%

Vick to be honored... *just shakes head*

I couldn't believe it when I read this news article -

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13815031/detail.html

*quoted from the article*

ATLANTA -- While he waits for his trial related to dogfighting charges to start, Michael Vick will be honored by the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

SCLC President Charles Steele announced Thursday during a news conference that the group will find a way to honor Vick during its national convention that began Friday.

"We will recognize Vick for being an outstanding human being," said Steele. "We will work with anyone who opens their heart and arms to us."

*end quote of article*

Are people just plain blind to reality? *just shakes my head*
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Glenn the Great

Re: Vick to be honored... *just shakes head*

Do you think they would recognize me as an outstanding human being?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.62%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by Prrkitty View Post
    Are people just plain blind to reality?
    Well, they are christians after all.:googly:

-15 penalty to all intuit direction checks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.88%

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn the Great View Post
    Do you think they would recognize me as an outstanding human being?
    Only if you stop thinking about things logically and cease any badmouthing of conservatives/evangelical figures like that old ba, uhhhhhh, Jerry Falwell.

Oh, and you have to suck up to them. A lot.

Am I the only one perplexed as to why presidential cantidates are attending the opening of this place's headquarters? Are all presidents expected to be christian (and not just christian, but southern conservative evangelist-approving type christians) now? Did Bush's buttbuddies secretly get a law passed to that effect?

The Legend of Zelda: The Inverse Mirror supporter

Behold, ye Banner of Gannons! Behold the power of regional changes and despair!

Schrodinger's roomate. He killed my cat! Maybe.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    86.48%

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Are all presidents expected to be christian (and not just christian, but southern conservative evangelist-approving type christians) now?
    To a certain extent, yes. If a non-christian, or even worse... an atheist!, was elected president then the first thing christians would do is start loudly complaining that they were going to be persecuted. Everything that president did would be taken as something against christians.

The damned "moral majority" in this country is ridiculous. This country was founded on religious freedom, which includes the freedom from any religion. The state and church should be separated and everyone mind their own religious views. None of the those political figures should have attended this event.
    Trevelyan
    Version 2.4

Winner of the Teh Winnar! award in the first writing contest.

There ain't no party like my nanna's tea party!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.12%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by Prrkitty View Post
    Michael Vick will be honored by the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
    Thats all I read before my brain tuned out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.53%

Well I guess this means that the SLCL promotes dogfighting. Everybody remember that the next time they make any sort of statement on what they call a 'morals' issue.

Fucking hypocrits.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.14%

Well, if there's one thing that religion excels at, it's bringing out the hypocrisy in people. Not to suggest that it's the only source, but it's an extremely reliable one. Plus, religion has the side effect of making it impossible to approach people about their hypocrisy. I mean, their entire conception of the universe is built up upon that hypocrisy, you can't just take it away.

*shudders* The disturbing thing is how much it seems I keep ending up agreeing with Beldaran lately. Oy, maybe I should take up religion just so this doesn't get too far out of hand.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.91%

I totally agree with you Cloral... fucking hypocrits (and yes I used the f-word). I honestly can NOT believe those people plan on honoring someone who has repeatedly had bad behavior... even BEFORE the dog fighting incident.

Vic's brother has been in trouble with the law for a number of years (I can't remember where I read what all he'd been charged with... nor if he'd been convicted of any of them).

And the SCLC wants to honor Vic for being an ... "outstanding human being"? I say... ONLY if it pertains to him "OUT STANDING in his dog fighting rings"!

GAH!!!!
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.46%

You know I keep comparing these venomous cries of hypocrisy with the notion that the SCLC apparently hasn't done anything of note since they had Martin Luther King, Jr. in their membership and I'm having trouble understanding the connection.

While we are busy knee-jerking and finding someone to blame it on, I would like to point out this is less a religiously motivated organization and more a racially motivated organization. I took a look at the Wikipedia article and noticed that the last notable activity there for the SCLC was in the 60s; blaming this on Wikipedia's lax standards I took it further. The main site reminds me of a civil-rights motivated group. Digging further, I found this:
    WHO WE ARE
    WHO WE ARE:
    The SCLC consists of local chapters and affiliates from around the country that support the organization, and work in their own community to implement national programs such as voter registration, improvement of education and direct action against racial injustice.
    Oddly, when I saw them mention religion at all it was through neutral words such as "spirituality" and "inter-faith". It is clear to me that the term "Christian" was added to their name in an attempt to appeal to people and suggest that their mission (promoting civil rights for all races) was not just a noble goal but a divine one. They have very little material that suggests to me that Christianity is a core value of their mission.

But I'm sure, all of you being rationally-minded individuals, did your research before posting. In fact, finding an article about the civil rights undertones of the case took such a trivial effort I'm going to assume everyone already read it. Ignoring the fact that he is black and two powerful black rights organizations are rushing to his aid , one can see that they seem to feel that the sensational media has been unfair to Vick. Unfortunately one has to read their arguments and think very hard about their meaning to arrive at this conclusion, and it looks kind of silly of them. (I think it's rubbish but hey whatever.)

But I'm sure all of you good people are above the hypocrisy of reading a single news article, associating an organization with a group of people because of a word in its name, then transferring hatred to the group of people because of the group without doing any research to see just who they were and what they stood for.

By the way, since we are all educated individuals, the proper spelling is hypocrite. If I were to follow your line of logic, could I decide that since there is a Church of Christ, Scientist that all scientists must be Christians? It has both "Christ" and "Scientist" in the name, after all!

I don't see hypocrisy, I see the NAACP and a sister organization rushing to the aid of a poor black soul that is being held down by PETA and other primarily white organizations. This has been par for the course for quite some time now.

Thread Information