User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Great PS1 games? My collection is lacking.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.34%

Re: Great PS1 games? My collection is lacking.

I like to complete a game as much as possible. With FF9 in particular, I had to start over twice on it. Once because I ofund out about an item I missed for a sweet weapon later and a second time because some punk stole my ps1 memory card.
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.08%

Quote Originally Posted by punkonjunk1024 View Post
    I spent about 4 hours reading wikipedia info about the series and ties together and ect, and yeah, I read about the X6 thing, and I can totally see how 5 was supposed to be the end. I didn't mind x6 though.
    Well, I found X5 to be distinctly less enjoyable than X4. X6, however, marks the point in my mind where the X series officially "jumped the shark" as it were. I mean really, ressurecting zero again? And X7 was just flat-out outright terrible. On the other hand, X8 is actually quite good... a worthy addition to the series.

The thing I thought was the funniest is that zero was originally supposed to be the main character in the entire series, and it was changed because it they thought he wouldn't be well recieved, so they swapped X and Zero as support and lead.
    Which makes me happy. Zero isn't a bad character, but I prefer Megaman any day. The feact that they keep shifting the plot to characters that are NOT Megaman while still keeping "Megaman" in the game titles pisses me off beyond human comprehension.

As for FF games, 6 and 8 are my absolute favorites. I don't know why 8 gets such a bad rap...
    That would be because it's a terrible, terrible game.

I wish square would have released it as it's own unique RPG. It's missing many final fantasy elements - which I find refreshing and exciting. And I will bet you anything it would have been better recieved had it had a non-FF name.
    I think the Final Fantasy brand is the only thing that saves the game from being lost to history as "that one really crappy RPG." The junction system, while somewhat novel, is basically nothing more then a system in which your magic is fueled by endless card games, drain sessions (wherein you just "drain" a momnster of like a hour instead of just killing the fucking thing), anditem collection. The fact that your stats are based on how much of X magic you have junctioned to it essentially restricts you from using your junctioned spells, as doing so will lower your stats. Thee sheer amount of micromanagement involved in using your fucking spells is just a headache, and not my idea of fun at all.

Also, the limit break system is terrible. Just junction a bunch of HP on to yourself so that you have a good HP pool even at "low health," and limit break every boss in the game to death in seconds. That was easy!

The story started out pretty good... right up until... oh, right around the time a russian space witch starts throwing monsters of the moon at the planet. Christ, just thinking about it makes my head hurt.
    Proud sponsor of the Oh, God of hangovers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.61%

X8 started good in my opinion. But the vehicle levels pissed me off beyond belief. And the flying one had a glitch that apparently made it impossible to complete.

The one thing I liked about FF8 I think was the fact that they for the first time gave the characters dialog that actually seemed natural.
    As for kicking boss butt with limit breaks, you could really cheat that system. All you had to do was cast Aura on yourself which increased your chances of getting a limit break, and then hit cancel repeatedly when your turn came up until you got a limit break. You could be doing a limit break every turn even with nearly full health. That made defeating even Ultima Weapon a pretty trivial task.

Thread Information