0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.23%

Re: Who wants a stable release?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    When custom item editing was added, a *huge* portion of the game logic had to be gutted and rewritten; it could be argued that most development since then has been the "get it stable" step after that feature (with some breaks for scripting and enemy editing, both of which are quite stable.)
    You mean one of those features that was added AFTER it was understood that you all would be working on a stable version and not adding any more features until a stable version was released.
    month after month, year after year.
    I'm still not enlightened.

I wonder....
    Have you looked at the quest announcement discussion forum lately?
    It's like a ghost town compared to what it used to be.
    :O)

ZC information I've compiled and my quests
    Adventure Tileset
    Elise's Zelda Classic

Don't ever buy an MTD Product, it's cheap over-priced garbage

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.48%

I don't know; I was out of the country and so do not feel informed enough to comment.

In any case, no major features have been added in recent months, and many many bugs have been fixed, so I would have thought you'd consider things to be finally moving in the right direction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.23%

That's like saying every day brings us closer to the return of Jesus Christ, or for you atheists our death from global warming, so does that mean I should not be able to contain my excitement in the hope that it might happen someday?

I've been waiting for a decent version since about a week after 2.10 was released, how much more patient do you suggest I be?
    Worked hard, in vain, beta testing to try and see that dream.
    What now?
    :O)

ZC information I've compiled and my quests
    Adventure Tileset
    Elise's Zelda Classic

Don't ever buy an MTD Product, it's cheap over-priced garbage

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.48%

Wait... do you think the current of level of bugfixing is an improvement, or not? I'd much rather go back to working on adding ZScriptable weapons (which many people have asked for) than continue bugfixing, if it's not going to make a difference either way.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.18%

Quote Originally Posted by majoras_wrath View Post
    Yes I want a stable release, but 254 is (IMO) good for now (for me at least), so I won't make a scene.
    Dude, are you living under a rock? 364 is far better, and although I haven't messed with the newer ones much, 403 seems very stable from what i've seen. Look at the changelog.

The fact that most of the new bug threads recently have been NES compatability issues and minor annoyances, does lead me to believe a stable version is not far off. Progress is definately being made, no matter how you look at it. As for the new stuff we got an item editor, subscreen editor, enemy editor, and string editor, along with Zscript and some other stuff. Its kinda late to turn back now. If progress were to stop and a stable version with some incomplete features was released, how far back would this set 2.5? Why not shoot for an exceptionally stable b18? I wouldn't mind spending some extra time bugtesting to see a stable beta myself. So I guess i'm wondering; how long a time table are we talking about here, in either case? -yes I realize this question is almost rhetorical in nature.

I know that 2.5 was supposedly supposed to be released last year, but living in the past doesn't help matters. What we need is everyone working together for the good of all mankind...for the future. <sorry bout that, i can't resist> ;p

Seriously though.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.48%

Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    Why not shoot for an exceptionally stable b18?
    This was actually my plan: fix bugs until no new reports are filed for a week or so, then call that build b18. Then some new testers came along and found NES compatibility bugs that everybody else had completely forgotten about (keep up the good work, by the way), which set the plan back by a bit.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.07%

Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    If progress were to stop and a stable version with some incomplete features was released, how far back would this set 2.5? Why not shoot for an exceptionally stable b18?
    if anything it would alleviate the stress of waiting for 2.5 because people would be able to actualy make quests for once, thus no one would care how much it sets 2.5 back because 2.5 is everything that everyone suggests thus the chances of it being completed is not that great..

if a stable version was made a.k.a 2.10.3 (which does not exist yet >.>) then would freedom complain? NO !

would anyone have a right to complain about 2.5 progress? NO !

does anyone at the moment have a right to complain about the progress of 2.5? NO !

at the moment is there more of a reason to complain about the progress of 2.5? YES !

would making a stable version ASAP alleviate the pressure on making a stable 2.5? YES !
    ---

i think this is what i mean to say.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    73.51%

As I've seen it, the change log has been a massively positive entity. Bugs are certainly down from when it was implemented, and active developer support (with fast results!) ensures that any really bad bugs tend to have pretty short lifespans. Having a "big", mostly bugfree release (nothing but extremely minor annoyances and obscure NES compatibility issues that you will never even realize are there) would be cool, but I hope that it wouldn't lead to the death of the change log system.

I suppose that I would vote that having a stable, bugfree version is the most important thing. I won't deny that I really want to see the remaining "promised for 2.5" features and would be sad if they were massively delayed (considering that massively delayed around here seems to suggest over a year of waiting), but if a choice had to be made between those features and stability, I think I'd go for stability. I'm not so sure that it has to be a total compromise situation as I don't see the b18 thing as too far off, and I don't see why b18 couldn't be a major quest building version. I mean, if we can get it down so we're sure that the only bugs are minor annoyances that don't really limit quest makers and obscure NES compatibility issues that 1/10000 would notice, I think we'd be pretty well off.

The quest database and the main site as a whole is pretty important, but I'd bet almost any amount of money that it will never work again. I've never actually seen it work in the first place, and all my investigation into the issue seems to suggest that few have the power to fix it and that, further, those that do have no real desire to fix it yet still are 100&#37; unwilling to turn control over to someone who is. It's too bad as it's really imperative that it works, but I just don't see any reason to think that it will. No amount of complaining seems to help either; I just don't know what should be done about this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.07%

i just want a stable player so i can enjoy all the old quests -.- because the 2.10 and older versions randomly crash on me.

a stable quest editor would be good for thos that enjoy making quests, i myself do not "enjoy" making quests, but i like to experiment.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.18%

What happened to the progress of 2.10.3? I think that fixed all the crash bugs and all the other major ones too. Last time I checked there was only a handfull of things to fix. Is it still being worked on?
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Thread Information