Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    29.47%

Re: Religion, or the lack thereof

I'm confused... so he killed himself and went to Heaven... But isn't it a sin to commit suicide? Or did he get the golden ticket since he killed himself because he was the only one who believed and he was too afraid to kick it with those who didn't?
    Things to do today:
    1. Get up.
    2. Survive.
    3. Go back to bed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    97.22%

Quote Originally Posted by Aegix Drakan View Post
    Science can't DISPROVE God's existence any more than it CAN.
    It can sure as hell disprove the majority of the bible, especially the more common stories that are taught growing up (adam and eve & noah and the ark).

Moo, get your ass in IRC. Now bitch.
    "Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty"
    -D'Argo, Farscape

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.26%

I skimmed over this, so shoot me if what I say sounds.... inaccurate.

Basically, no matter how much we debate, argue, and discuss, it will allways be a matter of Science proving something, and Religion lashing out against it, and also a matter of "Interpretation". If god didn't make the earth and space in 7 24-hour days, why didn't the writers of the bible jutst say that? @_@.

Will edit post, I gotta go.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    29.47%

We can argue for the rest of our lives... No one will really know until they die. You can't say that a higher being does or doesn't exist when no one can prove nor disprove it. You can't say Adam & Eve, or Noah and the Ark, the parting of the Red Sea, etc. is or isn't real because none of us were there. To continuously argue over what's real and isn't is really just pointless because at the end of all our arguements, regardless of who believes in what... No one knows for sure.
    Things to do today:
    1. Get up.
    2. Survive.
    3. Go back to bed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    97.22%

Saying Adam and Eve and the Noah's Ark story were true is saying that our (and all animals) whole existence comes from incest.

Do I doubt something happened? Not at all. I bet there was a flood, but not nearly has big as described. The bible is writen by man based on stories passed down through multiple generations. Everytime it passed hands it was exaggerated more and more.
    "Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty"
    -D'Argo, Farscape

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    29.47%

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    Saying Adam and Eve and the Noah's Ark story were true is saying that our (and all animals) whole existence comes from incest.
    It happens in other cultures all the time.

Personally, I'm more comfortable thinking that we came about by the "Adam & Eve" theory, rather than the Evolution theory... Because really, who wants to think that we used to be monkeys?

That also raises another question. If we supposedly evolved from apes, then why are there still apes alive? Or was this a specific breed of ape that only existed in the stone age or whenever it happend...? Correct me if I'm wrong, but generally when something evolves from something else... doesn't that "something else" just... disappear?
    Things to do today:
    1. Get up.
    2. Survive.
    3. Go back to bed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.69%

Every story in the Bible up to the Tower of Babel is just, I forgot the word for it, but it's not real. Any Biblical scholar will tell you that. So disprove those stories, it really doesn't matter.

In recent times, majoras_wrath, religion has not lashed out against science. There are many religious people who believe in evolution and there was even a pope who supported the big bang. Personally, I think the big bang is a load, but everyone can make up their own minds.
    invincible - "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink."

Elihu Burritt - "Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence."

2008 Record (final): 84-78: NL West Champs

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Marsden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.68%

Would the word be 'fictional'? 'Exaggerated'? 'Bollocks'?

I may be remembering the end of that story slightly - the guy may have been killed in an accident rather then committing suicide. It's been a while since I heard it.
    The point I was trying to make was that by disbelieving the notion of Heaven, the people killed any chance they may have had of getting into it. Whether the guy killed himself or got hit by a truck, he still got into Heaven because he believed in it. Sometimes a little faith doesn't hurt.

Evolution is something I believe in, mostly because there's a hell of a lot of evidence for it, but also because it makes sense. We adapted to suit our environment. We've stopped doing that recently, thanks to technology. We don't change to suit the environment, we change the environment to suit us. I think that's a little wrong, and entirely off topic. But anyway.

moocow: Apes still exist because there is still a place for them. In the jungles and so on. If, as you say, one race disappears when it evolves into another, we'd have nowhere near as many species as we do at present. Just because one creatures evolves from another doesn't mean there isn't still a use for the original.

...and now I'm thinking about what we might evolve into. Homo Sapiens... what could we become. I'm hoping Homo Superior, 'cause if I could develop healing powers, that'd be so awesome.
    AGN's resident Doctor Who, Star Wars and Torchwood fan

Current life projects: Survive job, stay awake, write stuff, find new job. Not in that order.

Hey, I do online reviews now! Check out my site to see the latest videos.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.44%

Awww man, Darth Marsden, you totally stole that story from that crazy-ass dream I had. Except for the ending, that was new. Anyway, I would like to point out that the Bible is not the source of religious information, and I find it a logical fallacy to disprove religion by tearing the Bible apart. I mean, isn't that just a straw man argument? Heck, some religions don't even have religious texts, it's all about what you feel to be true.

Really, I think the problem is that people don't understand the point of religion. You make some argument about fundamentalist Christianity, claim that's true of all religion, and say "See, I'm right." Another straw man argument. I mean Beldaran here sits and belittles religion, all the while missing the point that he has his own religion, too, though he may not see it that way. Religion (or spirituality, I guess) is far more about how you live your life than God and sin and heaven and hell and all that jazz. Many people use these notions to define how they live their lives, but that doesn't mean that there's nothign else to religion.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.81%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

I don't feel superior to you guys. It's just that you think the universe was created by an invisible magic being that cares about you. This logic is embarassingly sad and unsupported by scientific evidence.

If this makes you feel inferior to me, then too bad. I would rather everyone was better, more intelligent, and more informed than I was. The world would be a lot better place. Unfortunately the earth is ruled by people who still cling to their tribal magic beliefs.

Also, I think religion is disgusting and evil, and I do think that anyone who believes in god is a mindless, drivelling pawn of a powerful virus; a form of intellectual software that downloads itself into susceptible hosts and destroys their lives and the society they live in. So yes, if you believe in god I find you an abhorrent intellectual wretch and I laugh with sadness and derision at the deplorable state of your mind. I also fear and distrust anyone who believes in god.

Fortunately, you can still be saved by the gospel of rational, obejctive thinking and a natural view of the world. Repent now ye mental sinners, and be saved from your own delusions. [the church organ strikes a chord and several congregation members faint]

Thread Information