0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.43%

Re: Religion, or the lack thereof

Quote Originally Posted by Beldaran View Post
    You are correct in your doubt. There is absolutely no scientific evidence to support the notion that a magical being controls everything. It is impossible to know what happens after death, but the most plausible scenario is that we simply cease to exist.
    Bel is the only person who is allowed to know anything. He is correct in everything, we are worthless scum.
    invincible - "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink."

Elihu Burritt - "Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence."

2008 Record (final): 84-78: NL West Champs

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Marsden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.41%

So what, instead of God I'm supposed to believe in Beldaran? Great! I'm probably gonna become an atheist now. You've killed religion for me. I hope you're proud, you heathenistic bastard.
    AGN's resident Doctor Who, Star Wars and Torchwood fan

Current life projects: Survive job, stay awake, write stuff, find new job. Not in that order.

Hey, I do online reviews now! Check out my site to see the latest videos.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.8%

Why spend your life trying to appease some mystical being?

You should wake up every morning having faith in yourself, not some god that you fear under the false pretense of a so called heaven.
    "Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty"
    -D'Argo, Farscape

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    29.19%

Sometimes having something to believe in makes life a little easier.

You don't have to believe in any religion, Beld. No one is making you. But it's unfair to tell people that they're wrong for doing so. You're really being no better than those pushy Christians who badger you to believe in what they believe.

I'm a woman of faith. I don't attend any church services, I don't read the Bible (but I do own one) and I very rarely pray. I believe in a higher power, what or who that is, I don't know. But I have reason to believe in such, and that's proof enough for me.
    Things to do today:
    1. Get up.
    2. Survive.
    3. Go back to bed.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.61%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

I'm not asking anyone to believe in me or anything else. I'm saying they shouldn't believe in anything for which there is no evidence.

As magic believers, you are the ones who think you know the answers to these questions. I am pointing out that these answers are not known.

I am sorry you are all so intellectually small that you must believe in magical invisible friends to feel good about yourselves, but don't accuse me of the intellectual sins you yourselves are commiting.

I am completely correct on this issue because I am arguing that you cannot prove your position scientifically. Unless you can prove your assertion of a god scientifically, you must accept that you are wrong and that I am absolutely correct.

Also, you should all read "The Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan. The books that support my position are written by renowned physicists. The books that support your position are written by ancient tribal nomads who believed the sun was controlled by magic, the earth was flat, and that the universe was a dome.

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    44.68%

Darth, if you really want to know something, or if your worried, why not talk to someone who has more experience in that field? I don't think a forum with active members composed mostly of athiests or agnostics will help stengthen your faith in Christ, if that is indeed what you want. If I were you, talk to your pastor, youth pastor, or a friend that goes to your church. They could possibly help answer your questions better than someone on this forum.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.12%

I'm not an atheist, I'm a Beldarist. Anyway, honestly, I'm not trying to prove that anything exists. My question was simply, if it can't be proven, and it can't be disproven, what does it matter? The scientists are no more correct than the theologans. Besides, come on, there is no absolute reality, only our perceptions. You, Beldaran, have too much faith that the world even exists. No one's proven it yet, and no one ever will.

Just saying, you contradict yourself by saying "I'm right because your position can't be proven scientifically." Yours can't, either. You can confirm the existence of gravity, or dinosaurs, or evolution, the Big Bang, etc., but what you can't do is show that there were no divine forces at work. Hell, it's all a matter of interpretation anyway, because I could turn around and say that the Big Bang was a divine force, as is gravity, and evolution, etc. Your concept of religion is FAR too narrow. Would it be wrong of me to start a religion devoted to things that can be scientifically proven?

lol Never mind. I just noticed your signature, you already do have a religious system based on science. I mean, that's all a religion is, is a system that shapes your perception of the world. I myself prefer to be open minded, so I try to avoid confining myself to any one belief system. For example, I recognize the value of science, but at the same time, science can't help me to be happy, or decide what I want to do with my life, or anything like that, and so I look to other more creative sources for guidance in those areas.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.55%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Isn't it stupid to point out the fact that no one really knows what happens to someone when they die other than the phsyical facts we know of? No one knows if anything special happens to people when they die like "going to heaven". People that believe it can't prove it to be true, people that don't can't prove it's not true. Simple as that. I do agree you shouldn't believe things blindly, though mainly if someone else tells you it's true. If someone tells you they spoke with God, you shouldn't believe them, but you knew that didn't you? Mainly I don't like "Holy Books" that dictate what is right and wrong, and have ridiculus stories in them.

But haven't we had these topics 8 million times before?

Glenn the Great

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Darth, if you really want to know something, or if your worried, why not talk to someone who has more experience in that field? I don't think a forum with active members composed mostly of athiests or agnostics will help stengthen your faith in Christ, if that is indeed what you want. If I were you, talk to your pastor, youth pastor, or a friend that goes to your church. They could possibly help answer your questions better than someone on this forum.
    To be perfectly honest, the only people with any meaningful experience in the field are dead, considering they even existed.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.89%

Darthy, having questions about religion/faith is how a person grows and develops and figures out what they believe and don’t believe. Having the questions and uncertainties that you are having is actually really very normal.

If you will stop and listen to those around you, during the singing of Hymns, I think you will find that not everyone does sing when others are. Same goes for reciting verses… etc. I’m sure there are many reasons why some don’t… sing… recite… etc. So if you don’t… I doubt anyone will think any less of you.

I believe that if you are uncomfortable doing something… don’t do it.
    (hug)

If you can't be true to yourself how can you be expected to be true to anyone/anything else? <-- just a thought...
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Thread Information