Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.39%

Re: The hardest RPG ever thread!

On the PC front, Betrayal at Krondor (released as freeware many years ago by Sierra to pump up hype for it's crappy sequel) is both pretty tough as well as being one of the best PC RPGs ever made. You'll need DOSbox to run it properly, but it's completely worth it.
    heh. looks like i found a use for fucking dosbox after all;P It looks awesome, and it's only 18 MB.

I've also downloaded Nethack, and got my ass thourohly kicked.

-Here's the results of my first two games.
    No Points Name Hp [max]
    1 454 drijhtrjdo-Kni-Hum-Mal-Law died in The Dungeons of
    Doom on level 3. Killed by a brown mold. - [30]
    2 227 sdfhhhafel-Wiz-Hum-Mal-Neu died in The Gnomish Mines
    on level 3. Killed by a hobbit. - [12]
    If anybody for some reason wants to play an AD&D game on crack, check it out. The file size is tiny and it's easy to get started.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.55%

I've played and beaten 7th Saga without any cheats. To me, it was a interesting and the ending surprised me. I choose the robot as my character and had the elf/sorceress chick join me. The final boss was only hard in that you had to use all 7 runes in a spectific order. I gave up trying to remember what I saw in Nintendo Power years ago after dying 3 times and just looked it up on gamefaqs. But ya, good game with a bit of difficulty. The Arc the Lad Collection is something I've been searching for for years at a low enough price and good enough shape. And as for Fire Emblem, it's different than Ogre Battle. In OB, you control units that can have several characters in them. In FE, your units are one character only. Similar concepts in gameplay, but still different a bit.
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.39%

I've played and beaten 7th Saga without any cheats

I commend you. I don't know anyone else who didn't give up halfway through.
    Personaly I used the elf mage, then had the robot join as his defense power is crazy high. Great minds think alike.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.55%

Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post

I commend you. I don't know anyone else who didn't give up halfway through.
    Personaly I used the elf mage, then had the robot join as his defense power is crazy high. Great minds think alike.
    Actually, I just like robots and elf mage chicks, but seriously though I think they're the best combo in the game. I thought of the dwarf, but reconsidered it.
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.44%

I was always a fan of the demon, myself.

Oh, and if you're looking to get started in Krondor, the Betrayal at Krondor Help Web has a prepatched version of the game to download, a copy of the manual, hints, Moredhel word lock solutions, and maps of the world. I really do recommend trying to complete the game without any assistance, but you'll be doing yourself a favor if you download the manual and give it a look-over.
    Proud sponsor of the Oh, God of hangovers.

Certainly they existed... AlexMax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.06%

Don't worry if roguelikes like nethack tend to be hard for you. It's not really your fault they're so hard, it's because they tend to rely on really fucking odd rules that can't really be figured out on your own without reading spoilers. How in the hell are you supposed to know to engrave 'Elbereth' in the floor for protection or that you can sacrifice monsters on an alter for favor with your god.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.44%

Quote Originally Posted by mikeron View Post
    Have you tried FF1 with only white mages? That seems like it would be a challenge, or at least a pain in the ass.
    It's entirely possible to finish with just one white mage. Actually, the hardest game is with a single thief, but that's doable, as well.

As for going through with one or more white mages, it basically just slows the game down. Lots and lots of boring over leveling, punctuated with brief locations where you powerlevel relentlessly by spamming HARM against wave after wave of undead (such as a certain square in front of a chest in the Dark Elf's castle which as I recall spawns undead monsters (mummies or wights? Shades? I don't remember exactly) every time you step on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.44%

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMax View Post
    ... How in the hell are you supposed to know to engrave 'Elbereth' in the floor for protection or that you can sacrifice monsters on an alter for favor with your god.
    Personally, I find you can generally find that sort of information in the manual.

EDIT: Well, crap. Thought I was editing my old post. Could some mod do me a huge favor and merge this with my last post?

EDIT #2: Actually, come to think of it, there ARE a lot of things in Nethack that aren't readily apparent. Still, I maintain that gives NetHack part of it's charm. For example, look at all the crap you can do/can have done to you by a single monster, the Cockatrice. Note if you're wearing gloves you can actually pick up a cockatrice corpse and turn your enemies into stone by beating them with it. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.84%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Man, I thought I was the only one who plowed through 7th Saga. That was a tough game only in the sense that you had to power level your ass off. Thank god for the zsnes fast forward button.

I wasted three months straight doing nothing but playing Betrayal at Krondor like 12 hours a day one summer. That game pwned me good. :)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.41%

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragoonX View Post
    Note if you're wearing gloves you can actually pick up a cockatrice corpse and turn your enemies into stone by beating them with it. It just doesn't get any better than that.
    ...and then trip down some stairs and fall on said cockatrice corpse yourself, because you were weighed down with too many items.

Best RPG death method ever. :p
    "Walking around naked is a health issue. Forinstance, if you walk around naked and aren't a hot woman, people like me are a threat to your health when we start shooting at you."
    -Mottzilla

Thread Information