Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.65%

Re: So...

I'm not really for these laws, and I've read the local paper quoting the County Sheriff (Macomb Co., MI) as saying he doesn't support them either, on account of how he'd have to arrest all his neighbors. Most police forces, as far as I have ever seen, will not enforce them unless you are being wreckless with explosives, like shooting roman candles at cars, or something. If you live in a state where good fireworks are illegal, odds are you still live within reasonable driving distance of a state where they are not. You know what I mean.

They do have a purpose though, and in states where fireworks are cause for legitimate forest fire concern, I definitely understand why they exist. On the other hand, if you're dumb enough to blow part or all of yourself up, the least your home state could do would be to allow it to be very pretty.

In Southeast Michigan, last week, some lady killed herself at work. The employees at the car wash took up a collection, bought some fireworks, and she leaned over a three inch shell for some reason. Gore galore. Those sorts of fireworks should be very illegal to purchase by people without permits, I agree. But most of the regular stuff that people like doesn't pose that sort of lethal threat.

Hero For Hire

Quality Heroics At Affordable Prices!
    -Perfect For All Occasions, Including Office Parties
    -Prices Halved For Qualifying Maidens
    -Accepts All Major Credit Cards
    -We Now Handle Giant Bats And Snakes!
    -Zombie Proof Your Home For Free With Purchase Of Any Service Package

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.29%

DarkRaven ... the one you're talking about at the end of your post... was a commercial grade 3 inch mortar (as I've read it's description over on CNN but I can't find the article again). It had 25+ items in it's casing. Apparently the first one blew her face/head off (because she was leaning OVER IT when she lit it) and then the rest started going off. At that point no one could get close for fear of being injured.

She died in front of her fiancee AND her 8 year old son... plus every one else that was there.

I can't say she deserved what happened... but it WAS a commercial grade firework/s. Jeesh!!

<blah>

EDIT: I found this article... http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...fireworks.html
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    17.17%

New York has laws banning fireworks, but everyone has them. The police really won't do anything about it because so many people have them. The only time they get involved is when someone complains or they know someone has bought an large amount of fireworks. For example, a guy was trying to get a permit to block off his street for the 4th and they found out he bought somewhere in the insane range of $12,000 in fireworks. They didn't grant him the permit for the road block.

I really don't know what to think myself. It's nice to see people following tradition with celebrating the 4th, but then again it can be so dangerous. I personally just don't think I could ever spend the money on nice fireworks anyway, so I guess personally I don't mind the laws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.48%

I have many fond memories of launching fireworks as a kid so I strongly oppose anti-fireworks laws. It frustrates me to think my children probably won't be able to enjoy the slightly burnt fingers and sulfer-stained clothes I associate with the fourth. I agree that launching cheaply assembled explosive devices into the air has some inherent risks, but I think the thrills/memories far outweigh the potential for injury.

In a nutshell, there is something about the carnage/excitement that launching fireworks instills that I think is fitting of a holiday celebrating the United States forceful departure from an oppressor.

That said, I especially appreciate the firefighters and police officers of the city during this time of year. There are a lot of careless people without common sense they unfortunately have to clean up after.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.52%

Bah, people know the risks. The idea of banning fireworks is ridiculous, like we need to be protected from ourselves or something. That always pisses me off, when the government decides that I'm too stupid to look after myself. And yes, some people do get hurt, but I know the risks and I know how to be responsible.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.3%

4th - I worked all day.
    Today, apparently the police shot a man in the head a few blocks from my store. No one knows why, I've heard the word on the street and I've heard the word from an officer, but he was just quoting the news.

rain - we're on our 23rd straight day of rain in Oklahoma, the previous record being 14.

Glenn, there's a time and a place for everything, including watching for someone's 'sensitives'. There's no absolute, it's a blend of when to be an ass and when not to, and that was a time when not to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.65%

Quote Originally Posted by Prrkitty
    She died in front of her fiancee AND her 8 year old son... plus every one else that was there.

I can't say she deserved what happened... but it WAS a commercial grade firework/s. Jeesh!!
    She certainly did not deserve to die, of course. But it was a dumb thing to do, which is why only trained professionals should be allowed to use high explosives. It's just common sense. Thanks for posting the link.

Decipher, send some of that precipitation my way. We had approximately an inch and a half of rain in June, I think. It all passed south of me and fell on the rest of Michigan. Our garden is dying, and I can't imagine how real farmers must be doing. We don't even have enough water in the water table to regularly water things ourselves.

Hero For Hire

Quality Heroics At Affordable Prices!
    -Perfect For All Occasions, Including Office Parties
    -Prices Halved For Qualifying Maidens
    -Accepts All Major Credit Cards
    -We Now Handle Giant Bats And Snakes!
    -Zombie Proof Your Home For Free With Purchase Of Any Service Package

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.02%

My new widescreen lcd showed up earlier this morning. 19" of widescreen goodness.

Time to go finish watching Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtmaWeapon View Post
    It means taking the fart pipe off of your stupid ricemobile and gently accelerating after stopping.

Glenn the Great

So basically, what you are saying, is that I should judge myself by what others think of me?

For example, if others think that I am an ass, then I am somehow a problem, meaning thus that I'm in the wrong?

I once read that people with co-dependent personalities see themselves through the eyes of others. That might be you, but it isn't me.

I'm not going to be tricked into conforming to society's mores of political correctness by letting people's sensitivities concern me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.76%

^^Hitler thought that he was doing the right thing.
    invincible - "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink."

Elihu Burritt - "Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence."

2008 Record (final): 84-78: NL West Champs

Thread Information