2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.96%

Command/Variable Questions

Okay, let's go....

1: How do I use the command "int NumNPCs()"? I want to assign this value to a variable "ScrnNPC", but when I compile, I get this error:

"Could not match type signature 'NumNPCs()'"

Here's what I'm doing: "int ScrnNPCs = NumNPCs()" Changing that "int" to "npc" doesn't work.

2: How does "npc LoadNPC(int num)" work, exactly? Again, I want to give the value of this to another variable, "RandNPC".

So you know, I'm trying to make a script that destroys one random enemy when used. Thus, I have to check for the number of enemies on the screen, then modify a random enemy so its HP is 0, thus it gets destroyed. Thing is, most of these, I don't know how to work. Oh, and while I'm thinking about it.... Anyone know how to work "int Rand(int maxvalue)"? I asked jman in chat yesterday, but he told me he wasn't sure how to work it, either.... Help is appreciated.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.93%

Re: Command/Variable Questions

NumNPCs and LoadNPC are both members of "Screen." So do Screen->NumNPCs(); or Screen->LoadNPC(idx); Remember that LoadNPC is 1 based, meaning 1 is the first NPC - 0 is invalid. I haven't used Rand() yet, I'll try it later and let you know. Does this answer your questions (except for Rand of course)?

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.53%

Rand(x) returns some integer y such that 0 <= y < x.
    When in doubt, don't forget to check the documentation.

Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.96%

DarkDragon, I DID check the documentation, but it doesn't tell how to use a single variable there. Basically, it's just saying "Here's the variables, go figure out how to use them yourselves", which I don't like. I'm STILL not sure if I'm using it right....

blue_knight, thank you for helping me out with that variable. I never would've thought to use "Screen->". XD

Edit: But that brings me to another question. When using Rand, how would I make it so there's a specifc MINIMUM value, too? I need a random number so I can load a random enemy to modify, but.... If the Random number ever comes back 0, nothing will happen. How would I make it so it can never come back 0, only numbers 1-10?

Keese
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    80.81%

Quote Originally Posted by pikaguy900 View Post
    How would I make it so it can never come back 0, only numbers 1-10?
    Use floor from std.zh:
    Floor(Rand(max - min + 1)) + min

Say you want a number from 1 to 6:
    Rand(6 - 1 + 1) is the same as Rand(6), so you will get a number from 0 to 5.9999...
    Floor brings that down to an integer from 0 to 5, with an equal chance for each.
    Add the minimum value of 1, to get a number from 1 to 6.

Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.96%

Ah. How would I set that to another variable? I'm a bit confused here.... If I want the highest number to be 10, I put 11 as the maxvalue? And seriously, tell me how I set that up to set it to a variable RandNum. Please.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.53%

Quote Originally Posted by pikaguy900 View Post
    DarkDragon, I DID check the documentation, but it doesn't tell how to use a single variable there. Basically, it's just saying "Here's the variables, go figure out how to use them yourselves", which I don't like. I'm STILL not sure if I'm using it right....

blue_knight, thank you for helping me out with that variable. I never would've thought to use "Screen->". XD

Edit: But that brings me to another question. When using Rand, how would I make it so there's a specifc MINIMUM value, too? I need a random number so I can load a random enemy to modify, but.... If the Random number ever comes back 0, nothing will happen. How would I make it so it can never come back 0, only numbers 1-10?
    The documentation is split up by which variable you need to use. Global functions are not associated with any pointer type, so you just plain call them:
    Code:
    int randnumber = 5 + Rand(5); //makes a random number from 5 to 9
    any function or variable under the "X Functions and Variables" headings require a pointer of type X. For instance, to use the X that is Link's position, you would do
    Code:
    Link->X = 0; //move link to the right of the screen
    Is that what you were asking about? Or are you talking about actual, user defined variables?

For your second question, notice that Rand(y) will give you a number such that 0 <= x < y. But you want 1 <= x < 11, right? So we can do some algebra to calculate what you need to do. To get the correct lower value, we can add 1 to the result (1 + Rand(y)) to get 1 <= x < y+1. Then clearly you want y=10, so
    Code:
    int whatever = 1 + Rand(10);
    would get you a number from 1 to 10, inclusive.

Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.96%

Thanks! Would the random number return a decimal number, too, or does it only do whole numbers? I'd assume it'd only do whole numbers, but.... Just want to make sure. And thank you for the help.

And by the way, I don't remember WHAT it was I was talking about earlier. XD I'm confused after re-reading my earlier post....

Edit: Oh yeah, what about the HP variable for NPCs? Let's say I wanted variable "Boo" to be a loaded NPC. Would I modify the NPC's HP by using "Boo->HP = whatever", or what?

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.93%

Yes that is correct. Basically NPCs, FFCs, Items, etc. are pointers to "objects". To access variables and functions that the objects contain ("member variables" and "member functions") you use the "->" operator. Similarly you can access variables from a script (which too is an object), except you use the "." operator. Examples:

Link->X = 0; set the "X" variable of the object "Link"

NPC npc1 = Screen->LoadNPC(1);
    npc1->HP = Link->HP; set the "HP" variable of the object "npc1" to the "HP" variable of the object "Link"

Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.96%

Quote Originally Posted by blue_knight View Post
    Yes that is correct. Basically NPCs, FFCs, Items, etc. are pointers to "objects". To access variables and functions that the objects contain ("member variables" and "member functions") you use the "->" operator. Similarly you can access variables from a script (which too is an object), except you use the "." operator. Examples:

Link->X = 0; set the "X" variable of the object "Link"

NPC npc1 = Screen->LoadNPC(1);
    npc1->HP = Link->HP; set the "HP" variable of the object "npc1" to the "HP" variable of the object "Link"
    Thanks! That helps me out a lot. :)

Thread Information