0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.77%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Re: Get rich quick thanks to SCEA!

Right.. but the problem is that "the long run" is very much dependant on what's going on right now. Developers are seeing that PS3 is not selling and will either stop supporting it or convert exclusives to cross-platform (already happening a lot). So that hurts Sony in the long run, even though Blu-ray has nothing really to do with that *there*.

Really, blu-ray is the biggest problem I see. Without blu-ray they'd still have a lack of games, but the system price would drop so dramatically that people would buy it out of the "well PS2 was good, I'm sure they'll have more stuff coming" mentality. Thus systems would sell, developers would stay on board, etc. I think the price tag is a huge factor that's blocking that right now. People want to know they are getting value when they slap down $600, and PS3 is not providing that.

But we'll see. I personally hope they fail just so Sony learns some damn humility. They have been so egotistical lately that they really need to be knocked down a few pegs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.62%

You're right that if it were cheaper it would help alot. But remember there are other expensive parts besides the blu-ray drive. They are going to reduce the Cell cpu from 90nm to 65nm and later on they say 45nm. This will drop the cost of the second expensive component in the system. And who knows, the blue laser diodes could drop in price sooner than anyone would expect. Then Blu-ray drives won't cost so much and it'll be ok.

I'm just not convinced this is going to destroy Playstation. Surely it helps competitors like Xbox and Wii, but Playstation will survive I'm sure. But then again only time will tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    81.48%

Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla View Post
    I'm just not convinced this is going to destroy Playstation. Surely it helps competitors like Xbox and Wii, but Playstation will survive I'm sure. But then again only time will tell.
    Not if their PR doesn't shape up. Even if the PS3 price does drop, Sony will still need to learn to quit being pompous jerks and actually create a positive public image. You can only dig a hole so deep before it becomes impossible to escape from.
    Oh, if you want it to be possesive, it's just "i-t-s"; but if you want it to be a contraction then it's "i-t-apostrophe-s"... scallawag.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.62%

Quote Originally Posted by Tygore View Post
    Not if their PR doesn't shape up. Even if the PS3 price does drop, Sony will still need to learn to quit being pompous jerks and actually create a positive public image. You can only dig a hole so deep before it becomes impossible to escape from.
    Don't forget how many kiddies out there think Playstation is the world, and are idiots and don't care how crappy the product is or how much it costs or what the top says about them. I agree Sony could and will end up no where near top dog like last time around, but I don't think Sony will be put down either.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.92%

Plus, Sony is too broad of a corporation to go bankrupt.

...Then again, they are apparently not doing too well in the TV or music business.
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.11%

Quote Originally Posted by Pineconn
    Plus, Sony is too broad of a corporation to go bankrupt.

...Then again, they are apparently not doing too well in the TV or music business.
    Those of you who think Sony is too big a corporation to go belly up are right and wrong, but mostly wrong. You have to remember that Sony has several divisions, and the profits of one will not always shoulder the losses of another. Sony Pictures, for example, is doing well, and is set to make big bucks in a few months with Spiderman 3. But other divisions of Sony are doing very poorly.

It's a long shot that the entire company would fall apart over PS3. This is true. But it's entirely possible that Sony's Gaming division would become so unprofitable that it would be impossible to competitively run in the next generation console race. The company might have enough assets to give it another shot, but it might not have enough to afford another major loss. If PS3 continues to go poorly, or if things get worse, PS4 might be a gamble that Sony can't afford.

Hero For Hire

Quality Heroics At Affordable Prices!
    -Perfect For All Occasions, Including Office Parties
    -Prices Halved For Qualifying Maidens
    -Accepts All Major Credit Cards
    -We Now Handle Giant Bats And Snakes!
    -Zombie Proof Your Home For Free With Purchase Of Any Service Package

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    44.84%

Didn't I read on Gamespot that depsite the PS3 sales, the profits were up for Sony this quarter?

I thought the "real" point of including Blu-Ray into the PS3 was to have it push the the new medium, since "Playstation" was such a big name. They want Blu-Ray to sell, because if the industry adopts it as the new medium for storage, thats just more money in Sony's pocket, despite what position PS3 is in. And since Sony had such a drive behind the Playstation name, it's sounds like common sense to include the new medium into its system. I guess they figured it would sell through. And I really don't think they'd want it any other way. It doesn't look like the adoption rate is as fast as they expected.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.06%

sorry, but yes the dream cast does seem to have superior graphics over the ps2... maybe it was just easier to code for? but still it was heaps better then what i have ever seen from the ps2... did they use ps2's in arcades? if yes i doubt they would have looked anywhere near as nice as the dreamcast on the big tv's.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.53%

Quote Originally Posted by franpa View Post
    sorry, but yes the dream cast does seem to have superior graphics over the ps2... maybe it was just easier to code for? but still it was heaps better then what i have ever seen from the ps2... did they use ps2's in arcades? if yes i doubt they would have looked anywhere near as nice as the dreamcast on the big tv's.
    That is completely beside the point and the definition of fanboy behavior. Find me sales figures that show the Dreamcast outselling the Playstation 2 for any significant period of time when both systems were on the market and I'll agree. Here's a hint: only the 1-year period between the Japanese release of the PS2 and the announcement by SEGA that The Dreamcast had failed them and production of halt need to be examined. I know few people who do not own a PS2. I know few people who own or want a Dreamcast. I bought 2 or 3 new PS2 games last year, and there are still a few on my "want" list that have come out recently. How many new Dreamcast games have there been over the past year? Wikipedia lists one, how many am I missing?

I'm not trying to say the Dreamcast was a bad system, but you can't cite its graphics and claim it was more successful than the PS2. Superior hardware and graphics do not make your system successful. Remember the Game Gear? What about the Atari Lynx? They had color years before Nintendo got around to adding it to the Game Boy. Which one can you buy in an electronics store today?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.77%

Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla View Post
    You're right that if it were cheaper it would help alot. But remember there are other expensive parts besides the blu-ray drive. They are going to reduce the Cell cpu from 90nm to 65nm and later on they say 45nm. This will drop the cost of the second expensive component in the system. And who knows, the blue laser diodes could drop in price sooner than anyone would expect. Then Blu-ray drives won't cost so much and it'll be ok.

Right but I have to think the blu-ray is the bulk of it. Those blue diodes are expensive to manufacture, and just look at how expensive normal blu-ray players are (worse than PS3). With *just* Cell, it'd probably be $400 like Xbox 360. Which people would pay for.

As far as what {DSG}DarkRaven said, aren't you agreeing with him? They might phase out the games division, but the company won't go bankrupt.

Thread Information